Newerish to me Ford edge 2019

Just got a new 2019 (used... 55,000kms) New to me ford edge titanium awd up here in the great north of Canada. My old car was a lincoln MKS with the 3.7l but it was time for a change. My lincoln called for 5w20 but I see this lil turbo 2.0l calling for 5w30? What yall recommend for the top notch stuff at a walmart I should pick up?

Any specific brands when its on sale for the 5w30? I think Id kinda like to stick the the weight the manufacturer recommends

I think anything will do you well. I’m personally a Castrol and Valvoline guy. In my high mileage Ford I’ve been running Valvoline 5W-20 High Mileage MaxLife Synthetic Blend mostly except when Walmart is sold out of it. When it’s sold out I generally get Motorcraft or Castrol. When I sent samples off the lab told me it was the cleanest engine they had ever seen with that many miles on it so I definitely give the oil credit for keeping the engine clean. The other Ford that’s old gets whatever name brand I can find in 10W-40 as that’s what it specs. A lot of members here like Quaker State which I’ve also used with no issues. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of it. Recently I’ve noticed Valvoline has done away with the easy pour top which kinda stinks cause you still had to use a funnel but it seemed a lot more controllable with the easy pour top in my opinion.

Any specific brands when its on sale for the 5w30? I think Id kinda like to stick the the weight the manufacturer recommends
I'd use Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, it's a little thicker for a 30 grade and it's lower ash which should be better for preventing valve deposits it's now API SP and carries some very stringent Euro approvals such as BMW LL-04, Mercedes-Benz Approval 229.52, VW 504/507.

Change it at 5,000km and use a thick 5w30. I'm in Winnipeg and my ecoboost gets short drives in winter that ends up diluting the oil with fuel at cold start ups and it never heats up the motor enough to evaporate the fuel and burn it off. So if you have a short commute you may want to go for a long drive now and then or change the oil more often.

I'd use Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, it's a little thicker for a 30 grade and it's lower ash which should be better for preventing valve deposits it's now API SP and carries some very stringent Euro approvals such as BMW LL-04, Mercedes-Benz Approval 229.52, VW 504/507.

Mobil 1™ ESP Emission System Protection 5W30 Synthetic Engine/Motor Oil, 4.73-L​

Greenish on the label? Its on sale I will get some tomorrow.

Actually I am reading about this mobil 1 ESP and it does have
Which ford recommends for that engine
Engine Oil - SAE 5W-30WSS-M2C961-A1

Actually I am reading about this mobil 1 ESP and it does have
Which ford recommends for that engine
Engine Oil - SAE 5W-30WSS-M2C961-A1
Several other brands of lube carry that approval.
Any lube that meets that Ford standard will be fine.

The more common failure modes that I'm aware of for the small inline EB engines are:
- head gasket failure
- turbo wastegate shaft wear
neither of which the oil has anything to do with.

I’m don’t want to be a doom and gloomer. The 2.0 T edge for a couple of years has a block design problem. 2017-2019 is what I remember. The head gasket will leak into the cylinders. The only fix is to put a new block in it. Ford has been swapping them out for this issue . I believe now at no charge . I had a 2019 2.0T Loved it. But dumped it because of this problem. It’s normally a 50,000 mile plus problem. Search it. It’s really common. And has been a wait on new blocks. It due to a slit cut for coolant on the open deck design. It’s not a if situation. It’s a when. Keep tabs on your coolant level .

I’m don’t want to be a doom and gloomer. The 2.0 T edge for a couple of years has a block design problem. 2017-2019 is what I remember. The head gasket will leak into the cylinders. The only fix is to put a new block in it. Ford has been swapping them out for this issue . I believe now at no charge . I had a 2019 2.0T Loved it. But dumped it because of this problem. It’s normally a 50,000 mile plus problem. Search it. It’s really common. And has been a wait on new blocks. It due to a slit cut for coolant on the open deck design. It’s not a if situation. It’s a when. Keep tabs on your coolant level .
Thanks for the info. Looks like I lucked out. Whew. They started the block swap in 2019. Only affects 2015-2018 models coolant intrusion something or other they call it.

Back