You guys were right xw30/40 over xw20/30 in D.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it.

As far as other 5w-40 oils available at WM, there is also Delo 5w-40 and Synpower 5w-40. But no API starburst, of course.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Got it.

As far as other 5w-40 oils available at WM, there is also Delo 5w-40 and Synpower 5w-40. But no API starburst, of course.

No Synpower 5W-40 for us. Delo-yes. I think EDGE (Gold) 5W-30 would be fine for the Turbo. They just started restocking this at Walmarts near me. It was gone for a few months with only the 5W-20 version being on offer. i guess there was a demand...

Originally Posted By: novadude
Right or wrong, I've gone from Dexos QSUD 5W-30 to M1 0W-40 in my wifes 2.0 ecotec 2011 Turbo Regal. Seems like these DI turbo engines are really hard on oil, and M1 0W-40 seemed to have the best specs at this ~$22-$26 / 5 qt price point.

Mobil 1 0W-40w always seems to work well in them, the injectors put out a lot of fuel under full boost. With DI i can only imagine it being even harder on the oil.
Thin oils and extended drains don't seem to go together with turbo engine ownership. I get 3K max out of an OC.

This sounds a lot like Subaru. The post 2011 owner's manuals recommend 5W-30, while having some vague references to thicker oils, but the Subaru Factory Service Manual still lists 40 grades like the pre-2011 owner's manuals did.

-Dennis

So, after 800 miles of the 5w30, the 2.4 is back to sounding as it did on the 5w20, baby diesel like. I've learned to like it.

Originally Posted By: wemay
So, after 800 miles of the 5w30, the 2.4 is back to sounding as it did on the 5w20, baby diesel like. I've learned to like it.

According to Hyundai techs that comment on the Hyundai forums, the slight ticking noise that we hear on the DI engines is attributed to two things: 1-injector solenoids opening / closing, and 2-the high-pressure mechanical fuel pump (the loudest out of the two).

The high-pressure fuel pump is actuated by a cam near the top of the engine and is louder because of it's location and mechanical nature. Note of interest: the fuel is delivered from the tank VIA an electric fuel pump at about 200 + / - PSI. It then gets boosted by the engine-driven fuel pump up to about 2200 PSI + / - at which it get's shot into the cylinders--cool stuff!

Engines are mechanical, comprised of many moving parts. . . oils will to a small extent change / mask some sounds, but unless turbine engines for cars are developed, we're stuck with these noises. . . compared to my 2014 Ford Fusion company car, the Hyundai 2.0T is silent.

Absolutely the case here too. Our 2.0T Santa Fe Sport is much more silent than the 2.4 normally aspirated Sonata.

An unmodified turbo car is typically less noisy than a similar NA engine. The turbo tends to absorb exhaust noise. However, if you push the car hard, the wastegate opens, and suddenly the sound goes way up.

I remember this well because I used to have a MKIV Jetta 1.8T, and I currently have a turbo car.

As for reducing noise with oil, I guess someone could try Sustinia 0w50 since it is very close to being a 0w40.

I will just stick with 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back