New (to family) 2012 malibu with 2.4L

German Castrol 0w40 is almost a 0w40 and is a great oil.
Where do you find GC these days? I remember the heady days on BITOG when people raved about the green color of the original 0W-30 and its scent, and that it was available at Autozone only. Where do you find it today? Is it Castrol Edge 0W-30?

Where do you find GC these days? I remember the heady days on BITOG when people raved about the green color of the original 0W-30 and its scent, and that it was available at Autozone only. Where do you find it today? Is it Castrol Edge 0W-30?
GC is now BC, Belgium Castrol in 0w-40. It is widely available. RIP GC 0w-30.

We found my mother-in-law a really nice lower mileage 2012 Malibu 2LT with 49K for a good price. Oil change history shows OCIs of 3-4k at dealerships/quick lube joints. Has new Michelin defenders on it and the trunk looks like it was never used. It was owned by an older couple who went south for the winters so it saw little winter driving and the under carriage confirms that.

Looking at future OCIs and starting with 5k OCIs (about a year).... I have plenty (too much really) of RTG 5w30 from last years AZ/APP clearance sale. Thinking about using the ST9018 for $2.97 as it is 99%, syn blend media, made in USA and good for 10k. Is ST still a champs lab product? I typically use Fram Tg or Ultra but they are $7-9 more and at 5K oci, I don't think I'd see a benefit to spending additional for no benefit. Anyone have any issues or problems with the ST9018 filter? Since its cartridge and not canister, don't have to worry about the ADBV or bypass construction.

Any other maintenance items on this model of Malibu that I should be aware of and keep and eye out for? I know the headlight can be a pain but more tedious than anything.

My son has an 08 2.4 Ecotec Malibu and in all honesty, this thing has been a PITA!! I've replaced/done more work on this car than any car I have ever owned. It constantly stumbles and stalls without warning and despite me researching this issue to death, there doesn't seem to be a known fix for this widely known problem. He just told me 10 minutes ago that his car stalled on him again last night after getting some fuel. Speaking of the fuel issue, this is when it seems to happen the most? Right after filling up or the next day after sitting over night with a full tank of fuel, within a couple/few km's, and usually leaving from a stop, it will begin its stumble then stall out completely. I certainly hope you don't have this issue because, imo, this is very dangerous and why I/we are currently looking for another vehicle.
https://www.underhoodservice.com/diagnosing-intermittent-stalling-issues/

Here is a post from last year I posted about it.

More from other sources, but trust me, there are a lot more! Again, not trying to be a killjoy, just letting you know in case this happens to you?

My son has an 08 2.4 Ecotec Malibu and in all honesty, this thing has been a PITA!! I've replaced/done more work on this car than any car I have ever owned. It constantly stumbles and stalls without warning and despite me researching this issue to death, there doesn't seem to be a known fix for this widely known problem. He just told me 10 minutes ago that his car stalled on him again last night after getting some fuel. Speaking of the fuel issue, this is when it seems to happen the most? Right after filling up or the next day after sitting over night with a full tank of fuel, within a couple/few km's, and usually leaving from a stop, it will begin its stumble then stall out completely. I certainly hope you don't have this issue because, imo, this is very dangerous and why I/we are currently looking for another vehicle.
Good to be aware of. Thanks!

Reactions: irv
I didn't read your posts , but with a quick browse it sounds like a venting issue in the fuel tank , gas is expanding and pouring into the purge canister. causing stalling ,stumbling ?

If does after fill up, bad purge valve. Easy fix...Use OEM sensor ONLY

These Ecotech engines are the Saab engines, right?

No. GM put the ecotec in some Saab models but it’s not a Saab designed engine. Trav posted the origins of the Ecotec engine.

Edit: I just read his post again and he mentioned it was co devolved with Saab. I believe that to be incorrect. The engine is based off an old design Opel engine and GM teamed up with Lotus engineering when creating the mass market L850 (2.2 Ecotec) engine. GM powertrain developed the L850 so Saab and Opel were involved in the development but to my knowledge the Ecotec was based off an older Opel design.

Last edited:
No. GM put the ecotec in some Saab models but it’s not a Saab designed engine. Trav posted the origins of the Ecotec engine.

Edit: I just read his post again and he mentioned it was co devolved with Saab. I believe that to be incorrect. The engine is based off an old design Opel engine and GM teamed up with Lotus engineering when creating the mass market L850 (2.2 Ecotec) engine. GM powertrain developed the L850 so Saab and Opel were involved in the development but to my knowledge the Ecotec was based off an older Opel design.

No, the older Opels were the CIH engines and not related to the ecotec. Saab had the most input of the LK9 which is the basis for the later model engines and was really well built with lots of trick parts for its time.
The Ecotec engine is a DOHC 4-valve design with a lost foam cast aluminum block and head (L850 for 86 mm bore applications, and L880 for 88 mm bore[citation needed]), designed for displacements from 1.8 to 2.4 L. Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden.[2] Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom. The engine uses aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinder liners. Vibration is reduced with twin balance shafts.

The first engine in the Ecotec Gen I line-up was Ecotec 2.2 L61, introduced in May 1999.
LK9 is a turbocharged 2.0 L (1,998 cc) version of the L850 (86 mm bore) series Ecotec utilizing an all-new reinforced sand cast aluminum cylinder head and upgraded internal components. The engine features a five-bearing forged steel crankshaft, strengthened connecting rods, redesigned pistons, piston oil cooling jets, reprofiled camshafts and an integrated oil cooler.[3] The exhaust valves are liquid sodium-cooled. All vehicles using this engine feature Saab's Trionic 8 (T8) engine management system as well as a revised valve train. The timing chain and timing gears are also new, along with Saab's Direct Ignition system. The reinforcements, turbocharging, intercooling, internals, dual overhead camshaft, and such were developed by GM Powertrain Sweden (Saab Automobile Powertrain)

According to a wikipedia search "The Ecotec engine is a DOHC 4-valve design with a lost foam cast aluminum block and head (L850 for 86 mm bore applications, and L880 for 88 mm bore, designed for displacements from 1.8 to 2.4 L. Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden."

According to a wikipedia search "The Ecotec engine is a DOHC 4-valve design with a lost foam cast aluminum block and head (L850 for 86 mm bore applications, and L880 for 88 mm bore, designed for displacements from 1.8 to 2.4 L. Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden."

I know Saab helped design it, buts it’s not a Saab engine. It was a corporate GM engine loosely based off an Opel engine.

It is in no way related to any Opel engine that I am aware of, the LK9 was for the most part developed at Saab power train in Sweden when Saab was owned by GM. But anyway if you want to call Saab's involvement GM than you have to say the same about Opel who was also owned by GM.

The ecotec first appear in 1999 but Opel was using the CIH engine which was a very good engine in its own right up to and including 1998 and it is not related.

I didn't read your posts , but with a quick browse it sounds like a venting issue in the fuel tank , gas is expanding and pouring into the purge canister. causing stalling ,stumbling ?
If does after fill up, bad purge valve. Easy fix...Use OEM sensor ONLY
The purge valve was replaced with an OEM just a few weeks ago. $50 dollars CDN but it did it again like I mentioned in my post above. Question, and it's likely silly, but is it possible the computer would take a few trips/drives to readjust to the new purge valve?
From when I posted above, the car hasn't acted up once since then, but then again, his fuel tank level has dropped as well.

Hemi, are you referring to the purge valve or the fuel vapor storage canister that is located close to the gas tank?

Actually was thinking of one or the other .

I had stalling and stumbling issue when i would overfill a kia we once had, it was flooding the vapour canister, after a few miles it would clear right up.

The purge valve was replaced with an OEM just a few weeks ago. $50 dollars CDN but it did it again like I mentioned in my post above. Question, and it's likely silly, but is it possible the computer would take a few trips/drives to readjust to the new purge valve?
From when I posted above, the car hasn't acted up once since then, but then again, his fuel tank level has dropped as well.

Hemi, are you referring to the purge valve or the fuel vapor storage canister that is located close to the gas tank?
Well if cannister was flooded with fuel it might take a bit

Reactions: irv
Back