Marbles in my crankcase? Every mechanic mystified. 2012 LS460 at 250k

Having been through something similar, had you done any work on the engine immediately prior to this noise?

Can you pull the camera a little farther away and focus on where it is the loudest?

For kicks, I'd disconnect one spark plug coil pack at a time on the side where the ticking is the loudest. See
if it goes away. It sounds to me like an electrical arcing. Just a wild guess.

Maybe try some of the HPL Engine Cleaner??? Wasn't this an engine you thought was sludgy before?

Last edited:
I heard that same noise yesterday from a late model Chrysler minivan idling next to me. The owner could care less but the noise was exactly as you mentioned...exactly..

somebody lost some marbles while around your car, the marbles sat on the engine cover until they had an opportunity to fall inside. or vvt rattle.

Last edited:
Do these engines use a dual-pressure oil pump? Is oil pressure somehow changing by design at the 2 minute mark? Is oil pressure used at all for belt/chain tensioners?

is this a gdi, port injection or both? Maybe it’s shifting between modes?

Oil change with Rotella T6 has silenced the marbles. It's spectacular. Still replacing the VVTi cams as soon as I am able to.

Back