New tires just came in..

I'll be getting these installed on my VStar 1300 at the end of next week, excited to see how they feel on the road.

Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra Rear Tire
Tire Size180/70R16 77V (OE)

Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra Front Tire
Tire Size130/90B16 73H (Reinforced)

IMG_0192.jpg

I would have liked to have bought them through the local dealer to support them, but much more expensive than buying them online. So, online wins again.

Last edited:
Had a set of Metzelers on my Suzuki a few years ago. Think they were called 'feel free' or something like that. Handled ok, not great. Wore out quickly and I am a true 'Easy Rider'. Replaced with a set of Shinkos which are way better.

Made in Germany or China? The Metzeler’s that cam OEM on my Honda were made in China.

I had Dunlop Roadsmart 4's installed on my Ninja 650 a month ago, only complaint I have is there's a whining noise that was not present before and all they did was install the tires, service the chain and the yearly inspection done. It sounds like it's coming from the front wheel but I'll have to pay more attention next time I have it out.

The local Kawasaki dealer charged me $136 for everything, the other place where I bought it from wanted $220-$240 just for replacing the tires.

Be careful. I read that new motorcycle tires can be a bit slick until they get 50 or so miles on them.
Evidently they can be, when I picked mine up they told me that just recently had installed tires on someone else's bike and his friend went there to pick it up but then dumped it just up the road from them not even a block away. Most people I know wouldn't even let their friend ride their bike so I was shocked to say the least, the dealer said it was just a few min. after the guy left that he called them and asked if they could come out and help him.

It depends on the tires, some are worse than others but yes you should be extremely careful with new tires. I've ready put at least 200 miles on mine, if I can't figure the noise out I'll check with them to see if they'd look at it but need to check tire pressures, the chain, pull the clutch in to make sure it's not the gearbox, and try to pinpoint where it's actually coming from. It's not a grinding noise so I don't think it's the wheel bearing, I thought maybe they had the wheel on a lil too tight but I don't really know how it all works as I haven't taken it apart and don't have a front stand, the muffler is underneath the bike so can't use that spot either to lift it up.

I'll be getting these installed on my VStar 1300 at the end of next week, excited to see how they feel on the road.

View attachment 102212
I would have liked to have bought them through the local dealer to support them, but much more expensive than buying them online. So, online wins again.
Mount them yourself.
1655058108053.jpg

Loved my 2009 VStar 1300 Tourer.
One VERY important tip that you may not be aware of is to flush the brake fluid every two years, it buried in the manual and in the manual of almost every bike.
Your in a cooler climate but for me, I lost my rear brake while on vacation with my wife on the back while in the Smoky Mountains of NC/TN
Coming down a huge mountain no less, my read brake stopped working, pedal went right to the floor. No place to pull off, had no idea what was going on and would have been screwed if the front gave out.
Once the brakes cooled down it started working again, 15 minutes later and 15 minutes of fear.
Moisture in the brake system vaporized from the heat, creates vapor lock and when it does, no brakes.

Anyway, was a trouble free bike, I loved it, flushing brake fluid is standard on every bike, though I and countless others never knew it because we are used to cars and trucks which almost never get done. Not a good idea with a bike!

An update on the new tires install - sort of. I injured my left Achilles’ tendon a week ago, had to cancel the shop appt. Instead I’m sitting in the waiting room of a clinic at the moment,waiting for an ultrasound. Appointment with peodiatrist to follow. Have an ankle brace on, works really well to reduce pain.
Anyway, a bummer at the start of summer but a very minor issue as far as health issues go.

An update on the new tires install - sort of. I injured my left Achilles’ tendon a week ago, had to cancel the shop appt. Instead I’m sitting in the waiting room of a clinic at the moment,waiting for an ultrasound. Appointment with peodiatrist to follow. Have an ankle brace on, works really well to reduce pain.
Anyway, a bummer at the start of summer but a very minor issue as far as health issues go.
Sorry, man. Best advice> wear over the ankle MC boots when riding.

View attachment 102212
Different strokes. I buy the tires at the MC dealer..........only 1 person to scream at. P.S. Michelin Pilot Power 1' s were much smoother than the oem Bridgestones on my bike

I’ll let the shop do it, and check out the new bikes in the showroom while I’m there 😁
I can understand that. I tend to be more of a "I'll just do it myself" type which is probably why I won't let 18 year old kids at Jiffy Lube change my oil.

Having said that, I offered to change a neighbors lawn tractor tires last week and I'll never do that again. It was a big mess and a huge PITA.
1655480890650.jpg

I can understand that. I tend to be more of a "I'll just do it myself" type which is probably why I won't let 18 year old kids at Jiffy Lube change my oil.

Having said that, I offered to change a neighbors lawn tractor tires last week and I'll never do that again. It was a big mess and a huge PITA.
View attachment 104180
What's all the black goop on the rim?

Back