Michelin CrossClimate2's installed on EV - 2021 VW ID.4 AWD

Unfortunately have the 20" staggered wheel setup on my ID.4 so all season tires are very limited to exactly 4 tires at the moment (4th just came online within past couple weeks). The CrossClimate2's are the only one of the 4 that are not "EV tuned" so range hit is going to be a thing, despite that the CC2's have much better reviews over many more miles and I am not a road warrior so reduced range is not a hangup for me.

The OE Bridgestone Alenza's were at 3/32's on the rear and 4/32's on the front after 17.1k miles. These tires are far too soft for the ID.4 that weighs in ~4800 lbs and the fronts entire tread blocks were falling off and the tires were 'chunking'. I have a trip this weekend to Asheville NC and I was not about to toy around with worn out tires in freezing temps where snow and ice are a possibility.

CC2's are quieter based on some phone decibel readings (~2.5 db quieter in a 15 second test on same road at same speed), they handle far better than the Bridgestone Alenza and the tread warranty is better (30k vs 20k). The CC2's actually look pretty decent on an SUV, I had only seen them on sedans where they look kinda crazy with the tread pattern so I was not initially a fan but after seeing them on my ID.4 I have warmed up to the aggressive pattern. I have a road trip to Asheville NC planned this weekend (~440 miles round trip) so I'll be able to see what the range hit is to have non-EV or non-LRR tires really is.

**Excuse the messy wheels - need to run car through the wash after tire install.

IMG_6475.JPG
IMG_6476.JPG

Last edited:
I'm throwing this out there as an alternative as those Michelins aren't available in every size, like for a Corolla Hybrid...

But Hankook makes a similar tire, the HANKOOK KINERGY 4S2 H750, which are tested and well regarded in Europe from my research. 60K warranty. My younger sis asked for tire advice last year and she has a set of 4 on her Impreza.

hank4s2_ang_l.jpg

2,000 mile check in on the CC2's.

These are still bar none one of the best tires on the market and I do not regret one bit going with them. Despite not being an EV tire my consumption on a few recent recent road trips (~400 miles one trip - ~600 miles another) my ID.4 has matched or exceeded EPA estimates, sure the few available EV specific tires that would fit probably would have done better but I am still pleased as punch to be meeting EPA estimates.

Now the only bad I have encountered is they do flat spot even when outdoor temps are in the mid-high 30's, they rolled out back to round after ~3-4 miles on the freeway but I guess my memory might be escaping me but I don't remember prior tires I have driven on flat spotting at above freezing temps. Someone please correct me if I am wrong - I don't do a lot of freeway driving immediately after a cold start so it may just be a case of my memory getting shot.

My 2019 RX 350 OEMs lasted just a little longer than yours did but not much. The CC2 have been great with about 15K miles on them and no noticeable wear. Not a ton of miles but the OEM Bridgestones were already through about 1/2 their tread by 15k miles.

Nice. This car needs its own thread...
I'm a little over 5 months into ownership (~4k miles) so I'll probably do a 6 month check in soon. It is a fantastic riding and driving vehicle and the power in AWD guise is excellent. I have had some random software faults that should hopefully be resolved with an update that I am hoping will be out before summer. VW has really dragged their feet on updating the early ID.4's and the older 2.1 software is not OTA capable until they get updated to 3.1, the newer (starting later in 2022 MY) ID.4 are on the newest software (3.1) so they don't experience as many random faults like the earlier cars (2.1).

I was bitching to my sales guy the other day about the software and he assured me it would get better with the update, this was his car initially that he had for ~11 months and he traded for a '22 with the new software and he said it really resolved a lot of problems.

My 2019 RX 350 OEMs lasted just a little longer than yours did but not much. The CC2 have been great with about 15K miles on them and no noticeable wear. Not a ton of miles but the OEM Bridgestones were already through about 1/2 their tread by 15k miles.
This is excellent to know about the tread life - I am hoping these last much longer than the OEM Alenza. I should whip out my tire depth gauge and check what they are at after 2k miles.

We have 2 sets of these. For as soft as the rubber feels beneath a fingernail, they aren’t wearing much. If lateral (performance driving) traction is not your top priority, these tires seem to excel in every other area.

This is excellent to know about the tread life - I am hoping these last much longer than the OEM Alenza. I should whip out my tire depth gauge and check what they are at after 2k miles.
I ditched my OEM Alenza sport A/S after 7k

after 30k on the CC2, they are at 7/32", and not to mention, when they were at 8/32" the tire looks the old CrossClimate/CrossClimate+ with the siping.

I'm throwing this out there as an alternative as those Michelins aren't available in every size, like for a Corolla Hybrid...

But Hankook makes a similar tire, the HANKOOK KINERGY 4S2 H750, which are tested and well regarded in Europe from my research. 60K warranty. My younger sis asked for tire advice last year and she has a set of 4 on her Impreza.

View attachment 130700
Unless Hankook made some dramatic leap in technology, I would not touch it with 10ft pole for snow purposes.
Testing new tire is one thing, how it ages is another.

Unless Hankook made some dramatic leap in technology, I would not touch it with 10ft pole for snow purposes.
Testing new tire is one thing, how it ages is another.
Testing is how the CrossClimates became the legendary gold standard. Though my experience they are grossly over-rated. If I had to drive through a blizzard with them, I'd be forced to put chains on.

Testing is how the CrossClimates became the legendary gold standard. Though my experience they are grossly over-rated. If I had to drive through a blizzard with them, I'd be forced to put chains on.
I am not sure Michelin ever intended CC for those purposes. I agree that for snow purposes people overrate them, probably those that always drove on all seasons in snow.
In October I needed new snows for BMW, and wanted again VikingContact 7. I go to brand new Big O store in neighborhood and guy doesn’t have them, but he does have “CC2, which is best tire you will ever find.”
Let’s say, I won’t be back to that store.

I am not sure Michelin ever intended CC for those purposes. I agree that for snow purposes people overrate them, probably those that always drove on all seasons in snow.
In October I needed new snows for BMW, and wanted again VikingContact 7. I go to brand new Big O store in neighborhood and guy doesn’t have them, but he does have “CC2, which is best tire you will ever find.”
Sometimes you get caught in a blizzard need to get home from work. Has happened to me a lot of times back in the Northeast

All I can say is, wears well and best after the plows come

Granted I have bias because Nokian WR’s have gotten me home through blizzards and deeper snow that the CC2’s can handle

77E81D7E-81AF-491D-81AD-B3B14D7C9904.jpeg

Contrary to what other experts on the forum has said to debunk my claims, I don’t see the center stepped sipes and full length shoulder sipes back yet

CC2 are definitely not snow tires as I have owned them. However as a single solution tire pretty amazing the performance they offer for winter traction.

They have a massive advantage over winters in that they do not suck in rain and warm dry days.

CC2 are definitely not snow tires as I have owned them. However as a single solution tire pretty amazing the performance they offer for winter traction.

They have a massive advantage over winters in that they do not suck in rain and warm dry days.
Sure, they are better in warm days, but again, they also are not as good as, let's say, performance A/S or especially summer tires. So, it is again "ALL" tire, that does things OK, but does not do anything really good.

Sometimes you get caught in a blizzard need to get home from work. Has happened to me a lot of times back in the Northeast

All I can say is, wears well and best after the plows come

Granted I have bias because Nokian WR’s have gotten me home through blizzards and deeper snow that the CC2’s can handle

View attachment 138950
Contrary to what other experts on the forum has said to debunk my claims, I don’t see the center stepped sipes and full length shoulder sipes back yet
Again, it is "ALL" tire.
I spend too much time in the mountains to play with tires like that. Winter for winter, and I do use performance A/S tires in summer just bcs. we have wild weather transitions.

Back