91 caprice has damaged its new front tires in under 3k...

FWIW, a long time alignment man told me that incorrect toe will ruin tires fairly quickly; much quicker than if the other adjustments are out.

You need to go to a place that has the proper equipment. Typically, it's is my understanding, they'll be able to tell through the course of adjustment if anything is worn out to the point of not holding to alignment specs.

This is mostly off topic but you should check your options before selling the house to pay medical bills. You might be able to settle those bills for cents on the dollar, or declare bankruptcy and keep the house in your name. Find a legal advice board, IANAL.

First things first.

Get someone to watch the steering linkage whilst someone else turns the steering wheel back and forth.

Anything more than slight deflection in a tie rod end, drag link or pittman arm or idler arm warrants further investigation.​

Whilst doing the same thing look at the inner mounts of the upper control arms.

Anything more than slight deflection in the bushings warrants further investigation.​

Check the ride height (best to go from a fixed spot on the frame near each wheel to the ground - this is a perimeter frame car so just inside the rocker on front and rear should do.)

Nominally the same?​

Check the rag joint between the steering gear and column too.

The good news is that if you can still find anyone competent to do it, this car is completely adjustable via shims in the upper control arms and ties rods in the front.

The last spec i recall form GM on these was zero toe, they'll wear tires best there but wander a bit and vaughn on center. We found they drove best with about 1/8" Toe In.

Highly suspect it is significantly toed out. the kind of camber it would take to wear a tire out that fast on the inside edge would be visible to the naked eye.​

@columnshift, very sorry to hear about your medical issues! Hoping you're on the way to a full recovery.

I recommend The Brain That Changes Itself by Dr Norman Doige. It's about brain plasticity, particularly recovery from brain trauma.

The tire-eating Chevy sounds pretty minor compared to what you've already been through, but I hope the original mechanic did replace the necessary parts, and that an alignment will fix things.

Aside from all this sounding a little podcasty perhaps consideration of the safety aspect should be done. With the poor handling and age of components there is reason.

Back