New Tacoma!

Thanks folks! I do want to add that Toyota seemed to address the weird sitting position. This 2021 is a whole lot better than the 2019 I test drove a while back, and a whole lot more comfortable than my 2009.
That's good to hear. I've got a friend with a 2018 and I've only ridden it as a passenger, but in that seat it feels like my knees are up in my chest. Like the seat is only 6in off the ground or something.. Only vehicle I've ever felt that way in. He loves his taco though.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Dat boy is from Virginia, the southern part. There, wrecker means a tow vehicle, usually a wheel lift style on a heavy duty pickup chassis. He don't mean to send it off to the junk yard.
Exactly this lol 😂 someone understands our southern vocabulary down here. You have to be from around here to get it. I see you are in suburb DC a few hundred miles from me so I’m sure you have probably been down here before and knows lol.

Congrats. I did a rental review write up on a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4WD a few months ago. The engine is very lacking in mid range power. Speeds north of 70mph and that engine/transmission combination was not happy.

Overall I like the Tacoma. I also mentioned that Tacoma owners seem to be very loyalty to the truck and they continue buying newer generations. Your photo reaffirmed my belief. The TRD Off Road package is a good looking package.
The 2GR does give up some of the low end grunt the single VVT-i 1GR had. But there are ways to mitigate that some. One, engaging the ECT can help keep the shift points a little more lively. And two, using sport mode.

The 500cc of displacement that the 2RG gives up is all stroke. So it revs freely compared to the 1GR's 5500 rpm red line. Just drop it down a gear or 2

I wonder if they have gotten any quieter. I had a 2016 TRD Offroad and the revving wouldn't have bothered me if it didn't sound like a jet engine at 4k rpm.

So, my second thread in here in less than a week, hmm. Anyways, I was about a month out from doing anything as far as truck shopping. Local dealer I've used had something that peaked my interest so I decided to stop by to check it out. Luck would have it, it was sold late yesterday. However they had this one that peaked my interest. Couple hours later it's in my driveway. Say hello to my 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4!

New vs old:

qSLSVoa.jpg

IdtQXU6.jpg

eIGSuPE.jpg

QFphmmz.jpg

And for funs sake, a picture they took of me for their FB page.

ouM4Opv.jpg

Some people have complained about the power compared to the 2nd gens. While the power peaks a little differently it's adequate. The transmission shifting is a little goofy, but I'll get used to it. Still leaps better than the worn out 5 speed auto that was in my old truck. The ride is leaps beyond my old Tacoma, mostly due to the old one was all original at 146K. Overall happy with it.

Before you ask, the Toyota Tacoma tax is real, the only discount was the $1K Toyota cash back and a discount on the GAP, but that's it. But, it's a truck I like. I know I could have bought a full size domestic for the same or less, but I don't need or want a full size.
Congrats on the new truck, I really like it compared to the old one seeing them side by side like that. (y) The push button thing wouldn't give me a second thought, I see cars 15+ years old with the original still working like new.

It might be hard this time of year but when the weather starts to warm up give her a good bath and apply a sealant of your choice. Something in a ceramic will go a long ways to keep that white cleaner as dirt doesn’t stick to it as much. Lots of good brands out there. Griots is a personal favorite but Turtle Wax has been getting rave reviews here for their ceramic wax products.

I wonder if they have gotten any quieter. I had a 2016 TRD Offroad and the revving wouldn't have bothered me if it didn't sound like a jet engine at 4k rpm.
I only have experience with a MY2020 and the engine noise was very loud and raspy when downshifting to 4K rpm.

That is an awesome truck! Congratulations! I really like those Tacoma's and their stance. Nice and high right out of the factory but still not
ridiculous. White is a great color for a truck, easy to touch up and match.

6 years old and still looks great

View attachment 37478
No doubt some do better than others. I have a nearly 9 year old Accord with the original single stage Taffeta White paint. It certainly takes more work to keep it looking its best, which requires periodic polishing making the paint thinner each time. I think I have met the limit on polishes unfortunately. So just washing and "waxing" from here on out.

No doubt though that Toyota and Honda have a history of their white paints flaking off in chunks. Just go to any mall and walk around the parking lot, you will probably find at least two Toyota / Honda vehicles with white paint that has flaked off. If you don't believe me just do a quick google search. I'm glad yours has held up well. It looks great!

Nah, they're still loud, lol. At idle it is really odd sounding, but with direct and port injecting will do that. I haven't revved it up that much yet, but it is a little buzzy. I was transferring my stuff to the new truck and left it running. Was thinking to myself welcome to the "new" Tacoma tick :LOL:

It might be hard this time of year but when the weather starts to warm up give her a good bath and apply a sealant of your choice. Something in a ceramic will go a long ways to keep that white cleaner as dirt doesn’t stick to it as much. Lots of good brands out there. Griots is a personal favorite but Turtle Wax has been getting rave reviews here for their ceramic wax products.

I'm waiting for another 50° day hopefully. I really like the Turtle Wax version, easy to use and seems to hold up decent. For the time being it will get constant undercarriage washes after snow as right now you can eat off the frame!

Thanks for all the kind words folks! I know the Tacoma isn't for everybody. They really do seem to be built for previous Tacoma owners. Underneath and under the hood is set-up exactly like the 2nd gen, just some new sheet metal and interior! It rides ok for me, it's the same exact suspension as my 2nd gen, just 146K newer. It's a truck, no Cadillac so I expect it to ride as such. I hope this one serves me well.

Back