Frontier? Tacoma? Why not both!?

Meet Suzuki Equator. I'm guessing the title of this thread is how Suzuki came up with these in their last days on US market. It's literally a Nissan Frontier, but with the better looking "face" of a Toyota Tacoma. In my opinion - it was a great idea. Frontier of that era is more of a work horse, and Toyota is more of a off-road rig. Which is confirmed by many journalists when comparing the two. Almost all of them said at the time that Tacoma was better looking and better performing off the pavement, but lacked ability to tow, and Frontier was more of the tow rig and workhorse, that could occasionally get off the pavement, but lacked the agility of a Tacoma. Definitely made up for it in the "truck stuff" department though. So Suzuki did great by taking the truck capabilities of a Frontier and combining them with the more appealing face of the Tacoma. Too many people forgot or never even knew about this truck, which makes it an AMAZING value in the used truck market. A Tacoma or Frontier with same age/miles on average cost 30%-60% more than the Equator, just because of the badge.

2008-2012 Suzuki Equator RIP
2009-suzuki-equator.jpg

Didn’t even know they existed. I’ll bet the aftermarket steel bumper and wheels make that look a lot better than it did factory.

Learn something new here almost every day. How many other 'car guys' like me have never heard or seen one of these?

We had a local dealer until near the end so they had one for a bit on the lot. Suzuki and GM and Daewoo also brought over or rebadged a few odd ball cars and features as well. Anyone want a fwd inline 6 Daewoo? or 7 passenger Chevy Equinox? Suzuki had those but not many buyers... I still see the odd Suzuki Kizashi around which was good competent driving car actually made in Japan by suzuki.

Learn something new here almost every day. How many other 'car guys' like me have never heard or seen one of these?
These things got very, very little press and advertising. It was just a way for Suzuki dealers to have a pickup in places where that's important. Unless you were looking at truck focused websites, you'd never see anything about it, and even then you might not.

I still see them here because this part of Birmingham used to have what was probably one of the largest Suzuki dealers in the US towards the end of their time here. It had an enthusiastic sales manager who called himself Suzuki Man and even had bobble heads made. After Suzuki in the US was basically shut down, they still serviced them there and could get parts for a time, though they were effectively a large used car dealer. If it wasn't for Suzuki Man, I'd probably never see an Equator. 🤣

These things got very, very little press and advertising.

For sure on that. I remember them, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen more than 1 or 2 on the roads.

It was the same lack of press thing that killed Isuzu, Daewoo and still effects Mitsubishi today.

I never understood that. Things don't generally sell themselves... Unless you're a new/used light truck today..

i have a great 2011 Fronty SV 4X4 6 spd manual + love + never new about the Equator while looking for parts, as noted it looks pretty good IMO. i love learning about almost anything BUT if it has wheels or 4 legs or even wings i find it interesting + of course learning how to stay healthy WITHOUT drugs or doctors is most important + interesting!!

i have a great 2011 Fronty SV 4X4 6 spd manual + love + never new about the Equator while looking for parts, as noted it looks pretty good IMO. i love learning about almost anything BUT if it has wheels or 4 legs or even wings i find it interesting + of course learning how to stay healthy WITHOUT drugs or doctors is most important + interesting!!
Uh, what?

Back