New roof dilema and home insurance prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reddy...sure seems like it. This state is going to price me out when it comes to retirement in about 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called them and they said they would replace with whatever shingle I put on if there is another claim in the future.

I would go with the higher grade shingle if you have frequent hail.
If you are unsure about your rates, find a good independent agent/broker for an array of quotes.

One interesting statement from the roofer that replaced my roof is that the class iv is not as resilient as he thinks.
Actually, the class iv has more damage in the big hail storm last year in DFW.

I ended up using GAF Timberline, since the roofer is GAF certified so the warranty is updated to Lifetime.
This does not cover the Hail storm or anything like that.

I had the same dilemma except I was paying out of my pocket. I went with the class 4 shingle. Went with the Certainteed Northgate. Around here I would say the roofers use 50% OC Duration, 30% GAF and 20% other.

I figured if the class 4 shingles save me from having to submit a home insurance claim in the 3-4 years it takes for an ROI, it was worth it to me. Didn't care about the warranty, I won't be in this house in 5 years. Those house insurance claims still with you for a while.

An insurance company is paid to make you whole if you experience a loss. They often try to manipulative tactics and the insured should know the coverage.

If you install longer lasting roof materials, it's documented and the insurance company knows about it, then those materials are covered.

As a general rule, higher end roofing is nearly always a good choice.

Last edited:
Schmoe, if you are going to be putting up the extra money for the class 4 shingles, you might as well have the roofers install ridge vents. You'll get MUCH better air flow and your AC bills will be less in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I get free sinkhole coverage which assures me it will never be a issue.

That's one type of coverage that is good to have, but hope you never use.

I mean if that came to pass you'd basically have to move somewhere else, right?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
2400 is 2x what I pay. Are you in tornado alley? And I think the standard liability is 1 million.

Location is Central Oklahoma...aka Central Tornado Alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back