New Remington 870P Police Marine Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with the Rock Island guns is the heat shield will move forward from recoil. You can't get the screw tight enough. And you have to be careful because a lot of guys have stripped them out. Up until now I've just lived with it, until I can work out a permanent solution. I'm thinking of a small roll pin through the heat shield into the end of the magazine tube itself, where it won't interfere with the shells inside.

I'm not a big fan of heat shields on shotguns. But that's the way Rock Island Armory sells all the M-5 models. I've fired over 100 rounds in a single range trip, and it moves about 1/8". Not anything that would cause a problem in a stressful situation, but I still would like to fix it correctly.

Do they offer a 20ga version? I think that would be a good option in an 18" version.

Yeah, no thanks.

Just seems that a marine type or else a Parkerized version would be good for leaving someplace without thinking about rust protection, but not everybody wants a 12.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah, no thanks.

Just seems that a marine type or else a Parkerized version would be good for leaving someplace without thinking about rust protection, but not everybody wants a 12.

I have never understood why anyone would choose a 20 over a 12. Especially for self defense. It's why Remington only makes the Police models in 12 gauge. No police department would choose to arm their officers with a 20 over a 12. Even with the new wave of slightly built female officers that have overrun many police departments today. If it's recoil you are concerned about, there are an abundance of low recoil 12 gauge self defense loads out there. That will shoot softly in this gun, from strictly a recoil standpoint. Yet still deliver devastating stopping performance in a self defense scenario. And you still have the availability to shoot the biggest 3" Magnums if you so choose, that will leave any 20 gauge in the dust, performance wise.

Shotshell loads vs. recoil is just a matter of physics. Most all shotguns operate at or near the same relatively low pressures with the same given loads. The bigger the shot payload the greater the recoil, with all other things equal. At least as far as what you're going to actually feel in your shoulder. And most 12 gauge shotguns are heavier than their 20 gauge counterparts, which also helps in raising the comfort level shooting them. Also, a lot of 12 gauge shotguns have other recoil absorbing features, like the latest technology recoil pads, all designed to make them more comfortable to shoot. 20's, not so much.

In most cases an equal payload shot in a 12 gauge at equal velocity, will produce less felt recoil than the same load in a 20. Because of gun weight, along with a larger bore size. Look at Trap shooters. They shoot nothing but 12 gauge. Most shoot 1 or 1-1/8 ounce loads at 1,200-1,250 FPS. And they shoot as many a 300 of them in a single ATA tournament. 100 singles, 100 handicap, and 50 doubles in a full program. Many do this week in and week out. And many are 65 years of age, or older. They have zero issues with recoil. Proper weight and stock fit, combined with a good recoil pad, and a standard load from a 12 gauge, will be as or more comfortable to shoot than something similar from most 20's. For what it's worth, one of the WORST recoiling guns I own is a cheap, single shot CVA 20 gauge. It is horribly uncomfortable to shoot.

All I own are 12ga shotguns, including a 590A1. Something smaller and lighter might be desirable to some, especially if storing and maneuvering it in a home. Nothing wrong with that. People should be able to desire a similar build quality to the police unit in a different caliber if they like. Note that no place did I advocate that a police actually use it.

Anyway, here are a few not too clear, quickie camera phone photos of it. The open breech photo didn't focus. I was impressed at how well polished the inside was, especially the chamber area. Almost non existent tooling marks, and zero burrs. The action is tight, but cycles very smoothly. I'm hoping to get out to the range with it Monday morning first thing. One other thing I would mention. For some reason these Police Marine Magnums seem to get advertised on Gun Broker and the like as having an Improved Cylinder barrel. That is not the case. As you can see by the end sticker Order # 25047, (Police Marine Magnum), ships with a Cylinder Bore Barrel.

There is one thing I would add of importance, seeing as this was a new purchase of a new Remington firearm manufactured under the Cerberus Capitol Management / Freedom Group umbrella. I see absolutely no evidence of any type of shoddy manufacturing, construction, or assembly that seems to be constantly associated with all of these newer production Remington firearms.

This gun appears to be every bit as good of an example of modern firearms manufacturing, as comes from any other gun maker out there. Fit, finish, along with things like stock to receiver fit, recoil pad installation, were all well executed. Granted not everyone is willing to pay close to $800.00 for a premier model of a pump shotgun. But this gun is as good or better of an example of firearms manufacturing as I've seen come from Remington. And that includes all of my Remington firearm purchases from back in the 70's when the company was owned by DuPont.

I would not hesitate to purchase any proven Remington design today, based on what I've seen with the purchase of this weapon. I just thought I would put this out there, because of all the accusations of bad Remington guns I constantly seem to be reading about on many gun forums lately. And many of those come from people who haven't purchased one recently.

That is pretty. Finding all the 870 options requires you to go to a few remington websites... I dont think I ever actually found this specific model on an official remington website, though I didnt look hard. I did find the beautiful "standard" Remington Police Magnum (with wood), and perhaps even more pretty, the version of yours with the wood furniture (on gunbroker). Not sure of the practicality of the marine magnum with oiled wood stock, but it sure looks nice!

Curious how you find the balance of the extended magazine version. I know you dont have a standard length magazine to compare with, but it seems to me its like having a 6" full underlug revolver... Its nose-heavy and so while its heavy and stable, its harder to point (and to some extent, swing) for long periods. I know my 20" 590A1 is that way. Granted, an 18" shotgun like this is not intended for shooting clays or birds, and most wont be clearing homes, but rather having it from a holed up position notionally. Especially if you want to leave the chamber empty and mag tube not 100% full to stress the spring, not having the extended tube leaves you pretty short handed with only 3 rounds... Then is it worth it to have? Anyway, curious about your perceptions/thoughts.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That is pretty. Finding all the 870 options requires you to go to a few remington websites... I dont think I ever actually found this specific model on an official remington website, though I didnt look hard. I did find the beautiful "standard" Remington Police Magnum (with wood), and perhaps even more pretty, the version of yours with the wood furniture (on gunbroker). Not sure of the practicality of the marine magnum with oiled wood stock, but it sure looks nice!

Curious how you find the balance of the extended magazine version. I know you dont have a standard length magazine to compare with, but it seems to me its like having a 6" full underlug revolver... Its nose-heavy and so while its heavy and stable, its harder to point (and to some extent, swing) for long periods. I know my 20" 590A1 is that way. Granted, an 18" shotgun like this is not intended for shooting clays or birds, and most wont be clearing homes, but rather having it from a holed up position notionally. Especially if you want to leave the chamber empty and mag tube not 100% full to stress the spring, not having the extended tube leaves you pretty short handed with only 3 rounds... Then is it worth it to have? Anyway, curious about your perceptions/thoughts.

I finally got the new Police Marine Magnum out to the range for a bit yesterday after it warmed up. I started off by running a box of Trap loads I had through it. 1-1/8th ounce of #8 shot in a Claybuster blue wad, over 17.5 Gr. of Clays powder. Just to test functioning. The gun ate all 25 rounds flawlessly. As expected recoil was very light. Then I started in with some 3" 1 ounce rifled slugs, (Winchester "Value Packs"). I shot these off a rest at 25 yards to check the factory rifle sights. They were printing just a bit low, so I made an adjustment, and after that the gun was shooting dead center.

I moved the target out to 50 yards, and it was the same result. I was getting 4" to 5" groups with a few going a bit tighter than that. Not bad for a smooth bore 12 gauge with Foster Slugs and iron sights. The recoil was stout with the 3" loads, especially off the bench. But nothing unmanageable. The recoil pad Remington provides on this Police Marine Magnum is excellent. It's similar to the "Kick Ezz" Sorbathane recoil pads that are so popular with Trap shooters. The action on this new Remington is every bit as slick and smooth as my circa 1976 870 Wingmaster. I don't know if it's because of all the Electroless Nickel plating of all the parts, or what. But it runs quite a bit slicker than my Mossberg 590 A-1 does.

I also ran some 3" Magnum 00 and 000 Buckshot though it as well. Some Remington, and some Winchester, with a few Federal rounds thrown into the mix for good measure. All cycled without an issue. Moving back up to 25 yards with the cylinder bore, they printed what I would call a nice, uniform pattern. I didn't notice much, if any "nose heaviness" as far as pointing and shooing ability of this gun when shooting it from a standing position. Even with the magazine filled to capacity. My 590 A-1 has a 20" barrel, along with a full length magazine tube and a 8 + 1 capacity. And it is a bit more noticeable. Especially with the lighter Aluminum receiver which doesn't counter balance as well as the heavier all steel Remington 870 receiver. But neither one is objectionable. Then again I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, because I'm used to shooting 30" and 32" barreled O/U Trap shotguns most of the time. And there is a whole lot more barrel and weight out front shooting those.

I called it a day after about 150 rounds total. With the exception of the first 25 Trap loads I ran through it, all were 3" Magnum loads. I wasn't "sore", just a bit tired. Which is a sign of the gun fitting properly. My only "gripe" with the gun is minimal. I don't like having to screw around removing that barrel clamp in order to break the gun down to clean it. My 590 A-1, as you can see in the photograph I posted above, (page 2), has nice brazed on attachment points, with machined steel rings for the barrel. With a nice one piece magazine tube, and no extensions. The entire magazine, along with the way it attaches to the barrel itself is, "designed into" the gun, so to speak. Where as this Remington is more or less, "pieced together" with extension tubes, and a stamped sheet metal barrel clamp to hold it all together. It's something Remington has had trouble getting away from with all of their 870 riot guns since day one. As I said it's not a big deal, but the Mossberg 590 A-1 wins out in that department. Disassembly is as quick and easy with it, as it is with any of their lower capacity field models.

So overall I'm a happy camper with this new Remington Police Marine Magnum. It looks, feels, and shoots good. And I don't know if it's due to the "slickness" of the Electroless Nickel finish or what, but the gun sure cleaned up easy, that's for sure. Carbon and powder fouling wiped right off. I had zero plastic wad fouling in the barrel when I got it home. A quick pass with a wet nylon brush, followed by a couple of wet and dry patches, and it was bright and shiny. I did have a bit of a rough time removing the magazine extension, as it was too tight from the factory. But once I got it off and put a dab of grease on the threads and the face of the nut where it's secured by the ball detent, it was fine. So overall it was a good day with a good gun.

Thanks for the report. I too am curious if the nickel coating is helping as you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back