New "red label" syntec 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 6 quarts of oil at Autozone tonight. It says "outperforms" on the bottle instead of "Protects in ways others can't". I paniced because I did not see "made in Germany" on the lower left hand corner of the back label. Turns out they just moved it around on the label.
fruit.gif

Looks like GC is here to stay, if the "new" label bottles still contain German oil. I can take side-by-side pictures this weekend comparing labels if anyone cares.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I picked up 6 quarts of oil at Autozone tonight. It says "outperforms" on the bottle instead of "Protects in ways others can't". I paniced because I did not see "made in Germany" on the lower left hand corner of the back label. Turns out they just moved it around on the label.
fruit.gif

Looks like GC is here to stay, if the "new" label bottles still contain German oil. I can take side-by-side pictures this weekend comparing labels if anyone cares.

Very nice! This is the one piece of evidence I was waiting for that would convince us that this oil is going to stick around. I've been worried since my local Walmart has not restocked in a while and only 3L remained there last week.

What is the batch number on that oil by the way?

I'll look at batch numbers and take "side-by-side" photos this weekend.

How do you interpret those "batch numbers" anyway?

BTW... I got the Autozone "5 qt + STP filter for $22.95" deal. Can't beat that price on this oil! While I will keep using the Motorcraft FL1-A on my car, I figure I can stock up on STP filters for our Grand Am.

quote:

I'll look at batch numbers and take "side-by-side" photos this weekend.

How do you interpret those "batch numbers" anyway?

It appears that the higher the number, the newer the batch, as the very first stuff that came here began with MO2 while the very latest stuff I have begins with MO33

It also appears that as the batch gets newer, the amount of iron in the virgin sample gets lower, since we initially saw 9ppm of iron in the first batches of this stuff, but when I did the VOA on some early MO3 stuff it only had 3.4ppm in it. Hopefully the very newest stuff has none.

According to latest info Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30 has been discontinued and after its clearance we shall not see the same stuff on the shelves. I say this stuff, but not this name because we may only guess how Castrol will call their new oil on different markets: may be Castrol Formula SLX LongTec like in Eastern & Central Europe or may be under its actual name in Western Europe and North-America presenting it as "a new generation oil". But irrespective of its name the stuff will be already different, "Made in Germany", but completely different.
rolleyes.gif

Patman, I saw the red label GC 0W30 at Wal-mart. It definitely didn't say Made in Germany so don't know if it is the real stuff of the group III blend.

quote:

Originally posted by hkkc:
Patman, I saw the red label GC 0W30 at Wal-mart. It definitely didn't say Made in Germany so don't know if it is the real stuff of the group III blend.

Interesting, as I've never seen any red label stuff up here that was the US made stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

fruit.gif

Very nice! This is the one piece of evidence I was waiting for that would convince us that this oil is going to stick around. I've been worried since my local Walmart has not restocked in a while and only 3L remained there last week.

What is the batch number on that oil by the way?

----------------------

Patman/others,

I noticed the same thing at my local AutoZone in Oak Ridge, TN.
New type of bottle: as previously stated, the "made in Germany" is on the right side of the back now.
I didn't buy amy, but will post batch no's as soon as I go to AZ again.
...and ALL the yellow-label bottles were gone, this time.

The GC I bought recently has the red label with 'made in Germany' on the lower right. It also says 'Improved European Formula' on the back, so I assume it was changed at some point.

I called them again about GC and was told the same thing. She said based on supply logistics they import oils from other countries. The technical engineer said that the reason we are seeing different chemicals in the UOA's is because they are from different suppliers. He said both the US and German Castrol would still meet the same specs.
rolleyes.gif
I'll pass on Castrol. It's a shame though bc they have a nice oil right now.

Hmmm. My AutoZone gets GC frequently and I was there a week ago to replace a few quarts a friend asked me for. What I found was 1 out of 2 cases was what I call the "Red Scare". It was 0w-30, red label, but without mfg specs and no "Made in Germany". With some 'ol Yeller on the shelf too, I wonder if they get more 0w-30 Syntec, will it be GC or it's pretender..the "Red Scare"? Did I miss something? Are you guys saying there is a new GC, the East Block Blend?

I think what's going on is a relabeling for the consumer market. The Castrol 5w-40 and 0w-30 has been at the VW dealers for awhile and I think were specifically made for them and Audi. But now Castrol is trying to market both at Autozone and have changed the bottles to look more like the rest of their syntec line-up. Even though mine has the red label, it still says 'made in Germany' and more importantly, it's still green! My 2.8 v6 in my new VW really runs smooth with this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by 73Duster:
so what does "GC" stand for and why is it raved about?

GC stands for German Castrol, and it's showing good oil analysis results on here so a lot of people love using it. Plus it's green.
smile.gif

quote:

fruit.gif

Something is here to stay, we just don't know what it is right now. Somebody said the new stuff they got is no longer green, but that may have been the American variety. Others have said the new American stuff meets the same A3/B3 specs.

Most of these of versions seem like great oils but how do you know what you're buying until you do a UOA after you use it? I'd hate to spend $5 a quart and discover after the fact I'd used the old version of Syntec from a new bottle...

OK guys... sorry for the poor picture quality, but with my cheap digital camera, and lack of technique, it is the best I could do.

Back of the bottles... notice the "Made in Germany" has moved to the right lower corner, just above the upc code:
back of bottles

Front.... Old says "protects in ways...", New says "outperforms".
front of bottles

Bacth code for new stuff

batch code

The new stuff is still green, and it still has an alcohol-like smell.

Ok, looks like the same ol GC stuff as the mfg specs are present. New bottle though. Thanks for the pics. The stuff we got at the AZ had no mfg specs and no "Made in Germany".
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back