New pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that certainly confirms the newest PP will be GTL. Good news for us! I also agree I don't know putting the natural gas statement was such a good idea...people don't understand...look how NextGen has gone over like a lead balloon.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well that certainly confirms the newest PP will be GTL. Good news for us! I also agree I don't know putting the natural gas statement was such a good idea...people don't understand...look how NextGen has gone over like a lead balloon.

NextGen was always "perceived" to be inferior because it was recycled. Many people, in the back of their non-BITOG minds, did not think it was possible to get all the dirt out and bring this used product back to good as new standards. So the only way to really market NextGen was to make it cheaper as peoples green emotion didn't outweigh their wallet emotion. GTL doesn't have that predisposed inferiority complex, natural gas has the public perception of being clean and green. SOPUS is stressing the "pure" aspect and soon enough the superiority of the product will make both the mainstream news to an extent and certainly will be outlined in all SOPUS marketing. These new oils will be a commercial success and may force Mobil to respond. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Did you notice if the container was stamped with a WM store logo?

I bought a 5 quart jug of Syntec 10W40 last night at WM and it doesn`t have the WM logo anywhere on it. Does WM no longer have the 5 quart jug patent?

Nope. Autozone carries 5 qts jugs now too...

Quote:
These new oils will be a commercial success and may force Mobil to respond. Time will tell

I'm not sure what a GTL product really does in terms of perceivable benefits vs other full synthetics. I think it's great Shell is going this route though and i expect their new oils to be great as they usually are. Maybe Mobil will up the PAO content. LOL.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
These new oils will be a commercial success and may force Mobil to respond. Time will tell

I'm not sure what a GTL product really does in terms of perceivable benefits vs other full synthetics.

Good point buster other than screaming low Noack's I have noticed any other visible benefit in UOA's or anything. They don't seem to be much more shear resistant than a typical Grp III syn from what I've seen.

"Motor Oil Reimagined"

I'm not liking it. It sounds too much like the phrase "You just imagined it".

Of course that fits perfectly with both Ultra and 0W-20 since I've never seen either at any stores in my area, so maybe I'll just be imagining Platinum Plus, too...

Hello BITOG Members:

To address some of your initial comments, yes, Pennzoil Platinum® and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology are the newest additions to our line of products. And, they are just as ground breaking and innovative as you’ve been speculating!

As promised a few weeks ago, we want your community to be first to know. Given your level of knowledge and the wealth of posts in this thread, we want to give you all the opportunity to submit questions in advance of the official product launch taking place early this spring.

Beginning on Wednesday, Feb 12th, we will open a special thread for all of you to submit your questions to our team in advance of our launch. After a few days of collection, we will then take them back to the full team of scientists, engineers and brand reps to provide with answers to as many of the questions as we can a few weeks later. We’ll provide you with some of the specifics as we get closer, but be sure to keep an eye out for us.

Thank you all for the understanding and enthusiasm.

-The Pennzoil Team

Wonderful....

Now I don't have search every store in town to find a good synthetic....

How do Gas to liquids work...What are they so good at, on the molecular level, that allows them to semi-rival PAOs?

I remember reading Mobil 1's press conference, made some time ago, saying that VISOM was some kind of a precursor they had to GTLs and that their Synthetics were no longer completely PAO based as a result......

ARE There Any Specifications released yet???

Last edited:
U
Originally Posted By: SuzanneClerkin
Hello BITOG Members:

To address some of your initial comments, yes, Pennzoil Platinum® and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology are the newest additions to our line of products. And, they are just as ground breaking and innovative as you’ve been speculating!

As promised a few weeks ago, we want your community to be first to know. Given your level of knowledge and the wealth of posts in this thread, we want to give you all the opportunity to submit questions in advance of the official product launch taking place early this spring.

Beginning on Wednesday, Feb 12th, we will open a special thread for all of you to submit your questions to our team in advance of our launch. After a few days of collection, we will then take them back to the full team of scientists, engineers and brand reps to provide with answers to as many of the questions as we can a few weeks later. We’ll provide you with some of the specifics as we get closer, but be sure to keep an eye out for us.

Thank you all for the understanding and enthusiasm.

-The Pennzoil Team

Suzanne, I'm not sure what you've done wrong to be asked to baby-sit this group of, ahem, "oil enthusiasts", but we really do appreciate the effort.

And if you ever want to participate in a spirited debate about the merits of molybdenum vs titanium as an oil additive or the importance of Noack vs TEOST in a DI engine, well, you know where to find us. We're even open on weekends. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
Wonderful....

...How do Gas to liquids work...What are they so good at, on the molecular level, that allows them to semi-rival PAOs?

Background:

Quote:
5. Making GTL (gas to liquids) products

The plant creates a range of products from natural gas that would otherwise be produced from oil.

Using another Shell proprietary catalyst, the long hydrocarbon molecules from the GTL reactor are contacted with hydrogen and cut (cracked) into a range of smaller molecules of different length and shape. Distillation separates out the products with different boiling points.

GTL PRODUCTS:

GTL Naphtha is used as a chemical feedstock for plastics manufacture.

GTL Kerosene can be blended with conventional Jet Fuel (up to 50%) for use in aviation – known as GTL Jet Fuel – or used as a home heating fuel.

GTL Normal paraffins are used for making more cost-effective detergents.

GTL Gasoil is a diesel-type fuel that can be blended into the global diesel supply pool.

GTL Base oils are used to make high-quality lubricants.

Source:

Shell GTL

The Process:

GTL Process

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AmishFury
i recently saw the new labels on 5W30 at my WM... and had to snap a quick pic... the 10w30 and 5w20 on either side of this were the old label (as was the 0w20)

DSC_0347.JPG

Yes I saw this oil today at walmart is its very very thin..

is this for hybirds or s omthing?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Of course that fits perfectly with both Ultra and 0W-20 since I've never seen either at any stores in my area, so maybe I'll just be imagining Platinum Plus, too...

THIS. I flat have not seen Ultra at all, and even PP is quite rare...

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm not sure what a GTL product really does in terms of perceivable benefits vs other full synthetics.

Most importantly, while we here may be able to see and fathom the benefits, what is that blurb on the label going to do in the minds of the general public? Is it positive (i.e. America has lots of natural gas and this helps America), negative (i.e. can't they use real oil), or neutral (what the heck are they talking about)?

My take on it knowing many people clueless about oil (the majority of general public), the mention of natural gas will scare people away. This I will bet on. People are used to seeing what they know for years. I know people who use X brand from 40 years ago because that is what their father or grand father told them to use. If the new technologies like even Next Gen are not explained properly in advertising, it will not take off like it should.

My approach to something like this is to flood the dealerships with it and have them use it. Many people go to the dealer for everything and believe whatever the dealer tells them (that thinking I just shake my head out). Make sure the dealers know how to explain the new product and how it is an improvement, not just the this is what we used and that is that.

Then again, the brand loyal people usually stick with their preferred flavor, and there are plenty of Pennzoil fans out there.

Kudos to SOPUS for chiming in on this thread and asking for BITOG feedback. That alone makes me want to use their products. I think many people will see GTL products as being "greener" than regular dirty motor oil. The product itself is considered GrpIII+ and is of undeniably high quality. Shell spent a whole lot of money on that GTL plant in Qatar, I believe it will pay off in the long run.

How long before the "full synthetic" pedants show up and badmouth it because it's not a PAO, and therefore not synthetic?

(I've seen people claim that slack-wax derived basestocks aren't synthetic because the wax originally derived from petroleum. Most retarded claim ever, IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back