New pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Interesting they got Dexos approval on it.

So this seems to be the NEW Platinum, not I think a Platinum Plus that replaces Ultra.

And the rebranding would suggest that the ENTIRE line up of Pennzoil oils will be refreshed.

Of course, the website hasn't been updated and the "Pennzoil Team" posted on this forum that there would be something new in Spring, so yes it looks like the marketing is pretty poor still.

I'd say they are taking a risk with the Natural Gas statement. No doubt it will put some people off. That's why I think they got dexos approval and made that more prominent.

It seems they want to differentiate against the competition but aren't absolutely confident that the natural gas statement will go down well.

Maybe there will be an Ultra Plus or some similar upgrade to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Did you notice if the container was stamped with a WM store logo?

I bought a 5 quart jug of Syntec 10W40 last night at WM and it doesn`t have the WM logo anywhere on it. Does WM no longer have the 5 quart jug patent?

I picked up some Valvoline Synpower at AAP during the last sale it was a 5 qt jug so maybe.

Pennzoil has promised a marketing campaign this spring around "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum", which I guess must be the next product up the chain from plain Platinum.

But this is really odd marketing: wouldn't it be normal to market in advance of things appearing on the shelves? Maybe outline the advantages of GTL base stocks? Outline the new product lineup and hierarchy? This seems like the original Ultra rollout all over again - what is this stuff, why is it better, etc.

Could you post a picture of the bottle???
You don't have to if you don't want to; although it would be cool if you could describe it to us.

Well... I'll have to use up my stash of PP (enough for a few OCs) before considering anything else. Wonder how long the ol PP bottle will be on the shelves.

Its all being branded Platinum .. even the ultra..

So you'll see Platinum and Platinum Ultra.. Rumors have it that 0w20 will be in Ultra.. I went to their "pure plus" roadshow a few days ago, and was amazed on the new natural gas derived oil..

20140202_214933_zps35f91b81.jpg

They filed to trademark "Motor Oil Reimagined" on Jan 13th.

Wonder whether they'll honor all those rebates. Am thinking I should return my 10 quarts of PP 5w20 to Walmart.

No doubt these will be terrific oils. I sure hope Pennzoil knows what it's doing: the average consumer kind of gets the connection between motor oil and crude oil as they are both slippery. But does anyone feel the same about natural gas?

If Pennzoil isn't careful this "Made from Natural Gas" marketing could confuse people or make them believe they were getting an inferior, cheaper or "dumbed-down" product, especially as the relative abundance of natural gas in the U.S. is in the news. Guess we'll see.

I think they were using it to differentiate them from other products.. Using the 99% pure base oil from their GTL process.. It should be easier to explain why one should use their Pure Plus oil vs conventional oil too..

Natural gas is a fossil fuel.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

If so, does this mean that fossil fuels/oils are coming to an end?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is it made ENTIRELY from natural gas ?

Let's disspell this myth once and for all that drivetrain lubricants can be made from a single base oil.

You cannot make a base oil for lubrication purposes from a single base oil type such as GroupIII, III+ or PAO.

Besides, the viscosity of GTL oil right now is way too thin for it to exist by itself so as usual, the GTL will be blended with other oils to get the right viscosity and other performance specs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back