New old Mini. Please tell me about the pulse turbocharged N18 Prince engine

I fell unexpectedly into a 2015 Cooper S Roadster Convertible. I've never before owned a convertible but I have been wanting one. The chap who bought the car in 2015 got deployed and came back 15 months later with a wife. Baby arrived. He held on to the two-seater but eventually realized he was not going to use it. The car has only 2,000 miles on it. It was stored for a few years with the wheels off the ground. He recently put new tires on it. Service documentation is present and complete. Looks like fresh off the lot. The price was ridiculously low. Please tell me about the N18 engine. Aluminum block and head. I know it's got a twin-scroll turbo, double VANOS and Valvetronic. Does this engine have a belt-driven or an electric water pump? Is there a secondary water pump? What coolant does it require? The manual says "see the dealer" and online sources can't seem to agree. Oil temps seem to be around 100C/212F plus/minus a few. Power steering is electric. Anything else worth mentioning other than doomsday prophesies regarding reliability and the cost of maintenance/repair? I noticed a shameful lack of instrumentation so I installed a P3V3 multifunction gauge that fits neatly next to the tachometer. The gauges on this thing are a hot mess! :ROFLMAO: Can't think of anything more fun to drive, even if it gets a bit exhausting after a couple hours due to noise and harshness. It's got run-flat tires that feel like wooden wheels. I may want to go with non run-flats but will have to see if I can fit a donut in the trunk. Can't put it under the car since the dual exhaust is in the way.

host imagine online for free

You're right about information for those being hard to find. Astonishingly so, actually.

Would two full size Texans even fit in a car like that or would it look like a can of biscuits gettin' ready to pop?

BMW was using G48 at this time period. They adopted a green colored G40 variant in 2017

the little obd2 gauges are very nice to have. a lot of cars have heavily buffered coolant gauges that are really slow to tell you you’re running hot

Last edited:
You're right about information for those being hard to find. Astonishingly so, actually.

Would two full size Texans even fit in a car like that or would it look like a can of biscuits gettin' ready to pop?
I'm 6'2", 200lbs with long legs and I fit very comfortably with 5 inches headroom to spare.

BMW was using G48 at this time period. They adopted a green colored G40 variant in 2017

the little obd2 gauges are very nice to have. a lot of cars have heavily buffered coolant gauges that are really slow to tell you you’re running hot
Thanks for that info!

The Peugeot engine also found in the 208 takes G48.

Also available from Amazon.

Belt driven water pump and may use an auxiliary electric for the turbo. If this engine develops a rattle upon startup it has a failing timing chain and tensioner/guides, replacing the tensioner only will not fix it.
Look out for oil pooling in the intake, vacuum leaks, bad thermostat and leaking valve cover and turbo oil feed line (this one is especially dangerous and must be repaired at the slightest sight of oil, it can burn the car down).

Good that I have a fire extinguisher in every single one of my vehicles. I have replaced the turbo oil feed line on my 328i twice over the years.

they are neat little cars that handle well BUT $$$ being a bmw product parts can be costly as well as services. look into some mini forums NorthAmericanMotoring i think is the bigger one, good luck + enjoy the drop as i do on my 2001 TT

My 2008 Cooper S was still my favorite car to drive, ever. Factory sport suspension, but I also had Koni FSD dampers and they were amazing. Stiff, but not harsh. Way better than stock.

I traded it for a F54 Clubman S ALL4. Still regret getting rid of the R56.

they are neat little cars that handle well BUT $$$ being a bmw product parts can be costly as well as services. look into some mini forums NorthAmericanMotoring i think is the bigger one, good luck + enjoy the drop as i do on my 2001 TT
Well that was concise. ;) I have owned three BMWs, still have my 328i, I'm familiar with the price they come at. That's alright. I do have a good mechanic for the repairs I don't want to or can't do myself.

My 2008 Cooper S was still my favorite car to drive, ever. Factory sport suspension, but I also had Koni FSD dampers and they were amazing. Stiff, but not harsh. Way better than stock.

I traded it for a F54 Clubman S ALL4. Still regret getting rid of the R56.
It's the local roads. Many of them remind me of driving in Venezuela.

Back