New to me Chevy Cruze?

I used to be a mechanic so I looked it over pretty well. I’m a service advisor now so I’ll get it on a lift at work next week for sure. They’re are the biggest dealership in our area I’ve bought from them in the past (other stores) and had a great experience so this was totally crazy.
I paid 13,500 total for the car I had given them 4k to hold the Jetta. My intention was to put. 10k down total and finance the rest. With the Cruze I put 8k down and financed the rest kept the other money in my pocket just in case. On principle I should have walked but I realized it was a very decent car that made sense. I also work a ton and didn’t have the time to keep looking nor did I want to make the time. It all worked out I got a decent deal on a clean low mileage car but holy crap the process was a mess!
Karma like payback for all times you've probably screwed over service customers...

Boy, you got SCREWED... Chevy Cruze is a POS. I wouldn't own one, even if given it for free. That car will be nothing but a money pit for you. Just do a quick internet search for Cruze problems...
It was a crappy way of doing business, and I would have walked away. But... looking at the glass half full, I think the dealer did @wheelman a favor, he has the Cruze with the 1.8, not the 1.4 turbo. As long as he takes care of it, odds are that his basic, non-nanny equipped Cruze will be far less of a headache than anything from VW, especially with the VW having all of the nanny stuff. I am frustrated for him having to deal with them likely selling the car out from under him, but I think he is much better off because of it. I hope it gives you years of reliable driving @wheelman 🙂

It was a crappy way of doing business, and I would have walked away. But... looking at the glass half full, I think the dealer did @wheelman a favor, he has the Cruze with the 1.8, not the 1.4 turbo. As long as he takes care of it, odds are that his basic, non-nanny equipped Cruze will be far less of a headache than anything from VW, especially with the VW having all of the nanny stuff. I am frustrated for him having to deal with them likely selling the car out from under him, but I think he is much better off because of it. I hope it gives you years of reliable driving @wheelman 🙂

He had an issue with the Cruze and the dealer bought the car back.

giant pos dealer for sure...red flags all over the place and he still fell for it.......he's lucky they took it back and refunded him....hopefully, a well-learned lesson...

giant pos dealer for sure...red flags all over the place and he still fell for it.......he's lucky they took it back and refunded him....hopefully, a well-learned lesson...
I don't think fell for it is the right term. There wasn't much to fall for. We got thousands off the Cruze. The Cruze made sense in a lot of ways. Unfortunately the transmission hydraulics decided to act up a week after ownership. Given that issue and the way the whole deal went I wanted out of it and they wanted me to quit contacting the BBB and other places. The way they did everything was awful but I don't think I fell for anything. I knew good and well what was going on. I chose the Cruze over waiting days to get my money returned to me. That was the spot I was in. The lesson learned is I'll never give a dealer that kind of money in cash again. I was ok with the Cruze the day we took ownership. Didn't like how they got us to that point but I was ok with the out come. If I didn't like the car I wouldn't have done the deal. The car was clean and I got thousands off. It made sense to do at the time. If the slave cylinder wouldn't have acted up I would have kept it. But that happened and at that point I was done and had enough. They took it back without any issues .

I don't think fell for it is the right term. There wasn't much to fall for. We got thousands off the Cruze. The Cruze made sense in a lot of ways. Unfortunately the transmission hydraulics decided to act up a week after ownership. Given that issue and the way the whole deal went I wanted out of it and they wanted me to quit contacting the BBB and other places. The way they did everything was awful but I don't think I fell for anything. I knew good and well what was going on. I chose the Cruze over waiting days to get my money returned to me. That was the spot I was in. The lesson learned is I'll never give a dealer that kind of money in cash again. I was ok with the Cruze the day we took ownership. Didn't like how they got us to that point but I was ok with the out come. If I didn't like the car I wouldn't have done the deal. The car was clean and I got thousands off. It made sense to do at the time. If the slave cylinder wouldn't have acted up I would have kept it. But that happened and at that point I was done and had enough. They took it back without any issues .
fair enough...but do you really think that was just a coincidence???

fair enough...but do you really think that was just a coincidence???
Actually I do. It shifted perfect when we bought it. There isn't anything they could have done to hide a failing slave cylinder that I know of. I believe it was a city car and the guy did a lot of stop and go. He left a speeding ticket in the glove box and his address was down town Saint Louis. I don't think they knew about the issue or tried to hide it though. I could be wrong but I don't know how they would have hid it. 🤷

Back