New oil change invoice requirements for shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
{from Babcox publications}

Your customer invoices might have to list the engine oil type, brand and other related information, according to a new recommendation by the U.S. Commerce Department’s National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the National Conference of Weights and Measures (NCWM).

These recommendations became effective July 1, 2013, for states that approve, and are outlined in a section known as the Uniform Regulation for the Method of Sale of Commodities. But, it is still not clear how these recommendations will be enforced.

“Last year (July 2012), the NCWM added a requirement to its existing model regulations for retailers that provide oil change services to provide consumers with a document that lists the oil’s manufacturer, brand name, SAE viscosity and service requirements as defined in API 1509, SAE J183 or ASTM D4485,” said Ron Hayes, chairman of the Fuels and Lubricants Subcommittee of NCWM. “This follows concerns expressed to the NCWM that some retailers may not have provided consumers with product-matching advertised specifications.”

Recommendations:
• Oil change facilities and repair shops must disclose the engine oil brand name, SAE viscosity and API service category or categories on invoices or customer receipts.

• The retailer must have labels on all containers, including bulk storage tanks, with the same information.

• Oil suppliers must provide the information on delivery tickets to the retailer.

• Effective January 1, 2014, all delivery tickets must be retained at retail facilities for one year.

• Labeling and disclosure on receipts are required for engine oil with obsolete API service categories with the appropriate cautionary language.

no joke just some more regulations compliments of the current government desire to wipe our butts for us
vote for anyone BUTT in the next election

Quote:
Recommendations:
• Oil change facilities and repair shops must disclose the engine oil brand name, SAE viscosity and API service category or categories on invoices or customer receipts.

• The retailer must have labels on all containers, including bulk storage tanks, with the same information.

• Oil suppliers must provide the information on delivery tickets to the retailer.

• Effective January 1, 2014, all delivery tickets must be retained at retail facilities for one year.

• Labeling and disclosure on receipts are required for engine oil with obsolete API service categories with the appropriate cautionary language.

These sound reasonable. If I went to get an oil change, I would want to know what was used.

There are hundreds of Model Codes out there. They mean nothing until adopted by your local political division. My policy when I was mayor was to ignore model codes unless I could see a life safety implication. In those cases, I had the council adopt the applicable sections, but not enforcement provisions. We told the buyers to be aware and sellers to be cognizant of their potential legal liability.

If you like responsible government in your daily lives, pay close attention to your local elected officials. They have more to do with daily quality of life than most. Everything from utilities, to sanitation, to streets, to police protection, to respect for the constitution starts with the local government. I very frequently ignored state government over-reachers. The fact is, they didn't want to mess with intransigent local officials. There are plenty of towns out there that they can push around and make themselves look good. That is unfortunate.

Take the time to meet your local, county, state, and federal representatives. The opportunities are there. Don't pass them up. Thank them for volunteering to serve and make a clear statement about what is important to you personally. Most local elected officials want to do a good job and need your input.

Originally Posted By: davglt
no joke just some more regulations compliments of the current government desire to wipe our butts for us

Aside from you hating the current group running the country, can you provide even 1 negative item that this piece does to the typical consumer?

What's the down side of this piece of requirement going through the system?

Or are you still just a sore loser, so many years after the fact now?
Get over it, and stop trying to push your politics on others.

BC.

Seems like the automakers putting another cost onto the aftermarket to make dealer service seem better. At least it makes proving that one changed the oil with the right stuff easier for the average non-BITOG'er.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

can you provide even 1 negative item that this piece does to the typical consumer?

What's the down side of this piece of requirement going through the system?

Yeah, I am not for government interference in our lives at all but I see NOTHING wrong with this. This helps make sure that the customer knows what is going in their car. Makes it a lot harder for a shop to use really cheap oil that carries no API cert and that is the wrong weight for the vehicle. Also gives the customer who does not have their oil changed at the dealer some legit paperwork to back up they used the right oil. If it turns out that is not what is in the car then the oil change shop is on the hook.

This is a win win for the consumer.

You got it exactly backwards. This is the government making it easier for manufacturers to void their warranties. Can't prove that your local grease monkey had Dept of Commerce approved invoices and records for that oil change two years ago? Too bad for you!

The Secretary of Commerce is usually the bag man in chief.

Last edited:
I see this as a win/win for the consumer. Provides documentation in the event it's needed. I for one would like to know what kind of oil is being put in my chariot as opposed to a generic "5 quarts" statement.

This shouldn't cost more to do for the shops, with the exception that if this measure is adopted, there will have to be some oversight.

I'd prefer if this was pushed by the auto manufacturers instead of Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back