New MB 229.81specification?

I always find it interesting when manufacturers like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes or VW introduce a new oil specification because their requirements are so stringent.

I was poking around the Mercedes website and, if I understand it correctly, they now have a MB 229.81 specification. Source: "Engine Oil - Specified engine oils in cars & vans (service)" - https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/category/engine-oil/en . The documentation footnote says, "recommended for achieving lowest fuel consumption (lowest SAE viscosity class should be used; possible limitations of approved SAE viscosity classes to be noticed)".

I've searched the web and found no mention of the specification details or any oils that currently carry the 229.81 specification. The only thing I can find is that the motors that use this specification are installed in the Mercedes-Benz CLA vehicles. When I look at the owners manuals for these cars, they mention using 229.51, 229.52, 229.61, 229.71, and 229.72 (recommended for achieving lowest fuel consumption (lowest SAE viscosity class should be used; possible limitations of approved SAE viscosity classes to be noticed) but no mention of 229.81.

I wonder why there doesn't seem to be any details? Is there any way(s) to learn more about it?

Thank you,
Ed

Because it's Mercedes.
And, no, you can't learn more very easily. They are not very open about their specs or reasons for charging you more. Sounds a lot like CAFE to me.

Because it's Mercedes.
And, no, you can't learn more very easily. They are not very open about their specs or reasons for charging you more. Sounds a lot like CAFE to me.
Actually, Mercedes is far more forthcoming about their specs than BMW (or Porsche). That's why Afton has published many of the details in their handbook for Mercedes while the BMW page might as well be a picture of a pony.

1679950646387.jpg

So it's a new category for 0W-16.

Just buy the oil that meets the specs of your car when the car was made. Yes, manufacturers like to "upgrade" their oil specs, among others, ignore the upgrades.

Just buy the oil that meets the specs of your car when the car was made. Yes, manufacturers like to "upgrade" their oil specs, among others, ignore the upgrades.
It's not that simple on BITOG. Normally BITOG experts say "Trust the manufacturer"...

except for the thread about the B52TU engine that specified LL-22FE++, which was the 0w-12. Then... BITOG experts don't trust BMW's engineering expertise and recommend a thicker spec oil instead.;

It's not that simple on BITOG. Normally BITOG experts say "Trust the manufacturer"...

except for the thread about the B52TU engine that specified LL-22FE++, which was the 0w-12. Then... BITOG experts don't trust BMW's engineering expertise and recommend a thicker spec oil insor oil instead.;
Actually, MB has in its manual all options and explanations of which specifications mean what. They are all possible to use in the current MB, and MB lists them all.
Of course, this being MB, or BMW (which generally is lazy to do that in the manual) it won't explode because of ECU or oil pump like Toyota.

Actually, MB has in its manual all options and explanations of which specifications mean what. They are all possible to use in the current MB, and MB lists them all.
Of course, this being MB, or BMW (which generally is lazy to do that in the manual) it won't explode because of ECU or oil pump like Toyota.
you should go replace the Atlas with the X7 with the b58u2 and prove BMW wrong.

BMW probably did more than just slap a sticker requiring 0w-12 onto the hood

you should go replace the Atlas with the X7 with the b58u2 and prove BMW wrong.

BMW probably did more than just slap a sticker requiring 0w-12 onto the hood
More? Yeah. Test it. Like all other oils they specify.
But, since it is BMW, it will work on 5W40. In the end, they are company that sells others engines when they can’t make one.

Back