New Mobil 2 thread

Since we have a brand spankin' new platform, lets resurrect an old topic that maybe some of the new folks have never encountered.

Whats your latest "Mobil 2" experience. Anyone still do this?

Mobil 1 10W-30

Mobil 1 - 3,000 mi in the L98 Vette

Mobil 2 - 5,000 mi in the 350 TBI Pickup

Mobil 3 - B&S Engine on Riding Lawnmower

Mobil 4 - B&S Engine on Pushmower

I haven't done that in 30 years.

I've been tempted to see how bad the oil is on my F350 when it comes out. Very tired engine, I can hear the cam chains rattle on startup .I'm sure it's full of AL. But it's the right grade to go into the Cherokee; and I go through enough of it that it never really gets "old" in the sump.

My Subaru has 0w-20 in it, not sure I'd want to run that in my beater Jeep.

I've been tempted to see how bad the oil is on my F350 when it comes out. Very tired engine, I can hear the cam chains rattle on startup .I'm sure it's full of AL. But it's the right grade to go into the Cherokee; and I go through enough of it that it never really gets "old" in the sump.

Hey, you better change the name of that Jeep! :)

There are a lot of Corvette guys that should have some good ole Mobil 2 available but sadly I think a lot of them just get rid of very good oil. There is a current topic on the Corvette Forum where the guy has 800 miles since his last oil change but since it's been one year, his oil life monitor is signalling an oil change. He really should change it because if he has a warranty claim then GM could deny it. But it's a shame to waste oil that is definitely still good, so I suggested he save it in a clean container and re use it in another one of his cars, or perhaps he has a neighbor or friend that could use it in their car.

I suppose if you had a second vehicle that consumed oil you could catch the original oil in a clean plastic pail. I did this once when I changed an oil pan gasket. I re-used the oil in the same engine but made sure it was perfectly clean. The same idea would work fine : Mobil 2. I like it.

On the other hand, if the oil has useful life remaining why drain it from the first vehicle? For what reason?
Either it is still good or it isn't. Which is it?

Its not either good, or not. It is very dependent on the vehicle its used in. A new higher dollar vehicle should have an OC interval before where the oil is pushed to its limit, and warranty mileage restrictions apply too. Lets say its 60-75% used. That remaining 25-40% of life could be completely serviceable in a beater truck or rust bucket car that you want to continue to function but you are not otherwise concerned about. Especially if it leaks or consumes oil, so constant adding keeps the oil "changed out" on an on going basis.

There are a lot of Corvette guys that should have some good ole Mobil 2 available but sadly I think a lot of them just get rid of very good oil. There is a current topic on the Corvette Forum where the guy has 800 miles since his last oil change but since it's been one year, his oil life monitor is signalling an oil change. He really should change it because if he has a warranty claim then GM could deny it. But it's a shame to waste oil that is definitely still good, so I suggested he save it in a clean container and re use it in another one of his cars, or perhaps he has a neighbor or friend that could use it in their car.

That’s nothing. Think of all the people who still go to JiffyLube every 3000:eek:. Now that is appreciable waste.

On the other hand, if the oil has useful life remaining why drain it from the first vehicle? For what reason?

Either it is still good or it isn't. Which is it?
I think it could fall into the "it's not good enough for a $5k engine but it'll be fine in my $5 mower". Engines that burn or leak and are older and not in need of the latest and greatest oil certs might be quite happy on slightly worn oil.

Me, I think it too much of a nuisance to bother--the drain pan I use isn't kept clean for this purpose so I'd have to buy another one. But if I had a large number of engines that ran the gamut in engine age I could see how this would be tempting.

You could add something heavy to that 0w20 to make it usable. Mobil 1.5?

Back