New mobil 1 extended performance pds

1666745596785.jpg

It's now no longer mostly PAO, is like 2:1 group III to PAO, I guess there's not much reason to buy it over AFE now.

Trust Mobil they know what there doing when blending these oils trust them 😎
They’re simply “cheapening” the formula to maintain the price point on the shelf. The good news is the lower PAO formula still meets the certification requirements, so in reality the end user will never notice any difference.

Am I reading this correctly? It almost sounds like the 5W20 would be a better cold weather oil than the 0W20? The CCS numbers would be an interesting comparison!

Pour point tests are done in 3F increments. So if you’re +/-3 it’s really about statistically the same.

The surprising one is the 5w30. Which, I’m assuming is a typo. And I doubt it’s really -33f. It’s probably -43f. Or they had a really bad sample when they made this.

The flash point test on the 0w20 doesn’t mean much either.

Heres the new dexos 1 gen 3 version
Mobil 1 has hardly updated their formulations since October 2010, as they had already met the API SP and GM dexos1 Gen 3 specs twelve years ago when it first introduced its API SN oils. So, chances are that only the labels are different, with the same fluid with the same additive pack as twelve years ago inside, within the API-guideline-allowed base-oil interchangeability. Check the four-digit formulation number stamped on the back label to know for sure. ;)

The pour point is obviously a typo, which is above the MRV test temperature for SAE 5W in SAE J300. ;)

Last edited:
Mobil 1 has hardly updated their formulations since October 2010, as they had already met the API SP and GM dexos1 Gen 3 specs twelve years ago. So, chances are that only the labels are different, with the same fluid inside. Check the four-digit formulation number stamped on the back label to know for sure. ;)
Except the 0W-20 SDS reports that it's now markedly different for the last several years it was either 60-70% PAO now it's 50-60% group III and 20-30 PAO

Except the 0W-20 SDS reports that it's now markedly different for the last several years it was either 60-70% PAO now it's 50-60% group III and 20-30 PAO
So, chances are that only the labels are different, with the same fluid with the same additive pack as twelve years ago inside, within the API-guideline-allowed base-oil interchangeability.

They’re simply “cheapening” the formula to maintain the price point on the shelf. The good news is the lower PAO formula still meets the certification requirements, so in reality the end user will never notice any difference.
Maybe this "20,000 mile oil" would be a good combo with a nitrile valve ADBV ST MP "20,000 mile filter"... For about 5000 miles!:ROFLMAO:

I swear, these companies really do think they're too big to fail.

Give me the 10W30 with the highest KV100 at 10.3 cSt, the highest flash point at 251 C, but the same pour point as 0W20 at -45C.

BTW for comparison the PAO based M1 0W40 FS has a PP = -60C and FP = 226 C.
While the GTL based Shell Helix Ultra / Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 has PP = -36 C and FP = 235 C

Last edited:
Same here and that the pour point is really bad for a synthetic on the 5w30
Quaker State Full Synthetic 10W30 API SP-RC is -54degC ( -65degF ) per the PDS.

I ran it starting the end of winter up north with a few 25 deg days. Ran great.
ASTM D97 Pour Point is a bit of a misnomer, the chilled vessel is tilted and the surface of the "fluid" observed for 5 seconds for sag; so it is more of a tendency to pour - plus the vessel wall is heating up to ambient when it's removed from the chiller, so the test time should not be protracted.

pour-point.jpg

Last edited:
Back