New mobil 1 extended performance pds

Pour point on the MSDS show -27°c on the 5w30, maybe not a typo View attachment 123045
I couldn't use that banana-belt of southcentral Alaska! Couldn't even conceive it!

Last week, I did an OCI in my old reliable Gen III 5.3L truck engine using a jug of Mobil-1 0W-40 and a quart of Castrol 0W-40 and an old Fram Ultra. It was my remaining 0W-40 stock.

After that, it is Costco's Kirkland 5W-30 ... a Highline Warren product with a CCS of 3685 @ -30 degs C (PQIA sourced) and a pour point of -45 degs C (-49 degs F) (PDS sourced).

My family stops wanting to drive anywhere at around -35 to -37 degs C (-31 to -34 degs F). We wait for it to warm a few degrees at that point.

Last edited:
The pour point is absolutely a typo.

The MRV (low-temperature pumping viscosity) test requires an oil to show no yield stress, which is marked by a transition from plastic to elastic behavior. Any oil with a pour point above the MRV test temperature would show a yield stress, as you would transition from solid to liquid when the apparatus applies a shear stress on the oil.

It's a GTL-based oil, and a pour-point depressor (PPD) is used. It should have a very low pour point.

The extended-drain characteristics is given by the amount of antioxidant (AO) used. The base-oil quality is probably similar to that in the past, as they got rid of the non-GTL Group III, which was inferior to the GTL Group III in base-oil quality, and that would make up for the loss of PAO and should give the same extended drain interval even with the same antioxidant content as before.

Actually it's quite the opposite. Numerous VOA's over the years from multiple sites and sources showed consistency in their formulations. They were also one of the first, if not the first, to use a LSPI friendly additive system.

You may be thinking of the move to group III.
You could say they have been lspi friendly since the 90s up until supersyn came out and they abandoned magnesium before switching back for api sn

Would you use any 5W rated oil? The winter rating is what’s significant here.
No. Despite SAE ratings, I would not use just any old 5W rated engine oil. I'm picky about their CCS numbers @ -30 degs C and slightly colder. I even flirt with 0W oils when I'll be driving into interior Alaska or the Yukon on occasion. Synths are a given, though some blends show decently low CCS numbers in cold weather.

Last edited:
I take it plug in oil pan heaters are a must up there.
They certainly help here. Further into interior Alaska, they're absolutely necessary. On the north slope of Alaska, work pickup trucks are outfitted with an oil pan heater, a block heater, and battery blanket. When parked, you plug in.

Last edited:
Unacceptable.

;)
As much as we all LOVE to look down our noses at “subpar” oils, the quality of the standards these days pretty much guarantees that if the oil actually meets the required certification, regardless the oil used, there will be no statistical difference in wear. Single engines can “compare” to macro data trends, but the reality is that maintenance frequency and air/oil filtration far outweigh the oil itself in predicting the length of an engine’s life.

We can chase all kinds of bougie or boutique oils but in reality, ~95% of properly maintained engines of a given type will all end up around the same lifespan regardless of the oil used. Confirmation bias is a B (ad habit 😂).

As much as we all LOVE to look down our noses at “subpar” oils, the quality of the standards these days pretty much guarantees that if the oil actually meets the required certification, regardless the oil used, there will be no statistical difference in wear. Single engines can “compare” to macro data trends, but the reality is that maintenance frequency and air/oil filtration far outweigh the oil itself in predicting the length of an engine’s life.

We can chase all kinds of bougie or boutique oils but in reality, ~95% of properly maintained engines of a given type will all end up around the same lifespan regardless of the oil used. Confirmation bias is a B (ad habit 😂).
My engine (EJ) seized last month. Seized. Down the block from my house. Pinhole leak in that stupid hose above the thermostat and lower hose that's either an ATF cooler line or, more likely, a Water Pump Bypass (?? Subaru, explain.) OK so temp gauge pegged and engine shut off by itself.

I was able to immediately restart it, blast the heater, use paper towels and put holders (oven glove would have worked too) and unsafely open the cap and vent the steam.

Someone I speak with mentioned that my high quality PCMO (might have been HPL) is a big part of why I was able to avoid catastrophic damage, versus a "lesser quality" oil.

I am an oil snob and I'm presently using Mobil 1 corn/cheap malt liquor until I get my HPL. Please read the sarcasm lol

Yea. Why I left Duluth, MN! ;)
Ha! When the trucks won't run, there's always the sleddogs! The Iditarod mushing dogs are pulling ATV's around right this moment. Sleds should be running in the snow within the next two weeks! My two sleddogs like salmon and hooligan fish chunks chock full of fish oil goodness. Oil is oil, eh?

Last edited:
I lost my trust in them during the Katrina hurricane event,that started my distaste of their products.

And to top it off, I've seen numerous engine tear downs that were not so great that were using Mobil products.

Sorry folks, I will not use their products no matter how much they are loved here on BITOG.
And in this forum you have the right to do exactly that just as everyone else does🙂. I have my moments too with various products as well. What lubricant is on your good side at the moment if I might ask?

Additionally I find it interesting that one brand gets singled out in some of the most ridiculous comparisons …
Endless SDS postings from that company - where’s all the others ?

Back