New “min” wage

I think the OP should have worded his post, to be able to afford the rent in a 2 bdrm apt by him, you would need to make $32 an hr, minimum. And as far as tax on gasoline goes, I can't understand how they figure that. I live within 5 miles of several refineries where gas in either made, or distributed. But the farther you travel away from the refinery distribution terminals, the cheaper the gas is. I've seen the same brand gas 25 cents a gallon cheaper, 30 miles from my house. The tax should remain the same, but it has to cost more to truck it 30 miles wouldn't you think?. And gas in a marina, can be $1 a gallon more than what you would pay in a gas station down the street from the marina. It all comes from the same place.,,

Makes me glad that I bought when I did. I might pay 2x what I "bought" the house for (interest) but still, my monthly payment is fixed, and it's less than rent.

Am starting to think that my financial goals going forward are finish saving for retirement, shift towards paying for kids college, then shift towards saving money to help them afford a down payment on a house. Then think about retiring. Maybe.

Am starting to think that my financial goals going forward are finish saving for retirement, shift towards paying for kids college, then shift towards saving money to help them afford a down payment on a house. Then think about retiring. Maybe.

That was pretty much my game plan.

Makes me glad that I bought when I did. I might pay 2x what I "bought" the house for (interest) but still, my monthly payment is fixed, and it's less than rent.

That is my game plan, ex the retirment part. :ROFLMAO:

I get a feeling very anticlimactic when one reaches the goals. Part of it imho is age being the factor. What do I want to do over the next x years, now that I’ve reached these goals.

I’ve already reached my goals and helped my kids buy houses.
I would rather help them than spend it on unnecessary crap.

Staying busy will keep your mind sharp, not sitting on couch watching TV.
Maybe I will have a dog walking service… ?

Luckily I’ve reached my retirement goals and coasting into retirement, really no worries and almost zero stress. I also don’t watch trash TV and see things that get me upset.

I’ve already reached my goals and helped my kids buy houses.
I would rather help them than spend it on unnecessary crap.

Staying busy will keep your mind sharp, not sitting on couch watching TV.
Maybe I will have a dog walking service… ?

Luckily I’ve reached my retirement goals and coasting into retirement, really no worries and almost zero stress. I also don’t watch trash TV and see things that get me upset.
I’d want to spend time playing guitar back to the level I was at 19-22….actually feel it’s not likely but it’s a thought. The older I get the more I feel I have to decide should I invest that much time…

Then learning new things will take even more time. I had also always wanted to get a law degree in my spare time

I'm almost there on retirement, another 5 years of high saving rate and then that amount can grow for a decade I think, with minimal contribution on my part (mostly to get free company match). Problem is, this 5 year period overlaps with one of the kids going to college. We'll see how that goes (wife has some medical issues threatening to get expensive too).

I got a 7.5% raise this year, it helps a little bit.
2022 I got a good raise, but last year barely higher than the avg per online. Yours is excellent. We even had a house reassessment and reprieve from property tax increases. But 2023 and 2024 was 3.2%. It’s tough not much is cheaper…

2022 I got a good raise, but last year barely higher than the avg per online. Yours is excellent. We even had a house reassessment and reprieve from property tax increases. But 2023 and 2024 was 3.2%. It’s tough not much is cheaper…
I think my employer is using the time to do what they said years ago they wanted to do: move to less base pay and more bonus money. Semiconductor industry is notorious for being up and down, so I understand why they want to spread the risk around. I can understand that (having lost a couple weeks pay and even a pay cut along the way) but still. Last year I think was 3% and this year was none (but my bonus was good).

I made $1.85 an hour but that was the early 70s
I would feel privileged if my boss would let me work over 40 hours a week to get overtime and some holidays.
I bought my own cars, paid my own insurance, nothing was handed to me except college.
My siblings and I were given two choices at the age of 18. Go to college and parents would pay or no college then get a full time job and pay room and board until you had your own place
In the mid 70s made 2.00 /hour washing cars and also undercoating cars at local Ford dealer in small town Iowa. After high school went to trade school and my parents gave me 500.00 and said that's all we can do for you. 18 years old and on my own.

Back