New “min” wage

Federal gas tax hasn't risen in actual cents since 1994. It's a bigger political third rail than social security.
Tax on gasoline is a direct tax on the poor. Its the reason its not raised, it would most affect the cohort that are the ones that care about minimum wage.

Roads are still built - its paid from the general fund, which is mostly funded by income tax, which is mostly paid for by the upper income earners.

Raising gas taxes wouldn't bother me one iota.

Not by fiat, per se, but robbed by inflation.
It is fiat problem, if dollar was still pegged to silver the dollar would not lose value while silver was gaining, they would be pegged.
It was mentioned by one economist that average real inflation in USA over past 10 years was at 6.7% a year, so if you look at compound effect then you get everything doubling in price in less than 10 years. In dollars, not in silver or gold. Did real estate double in price in your area in past 10 years?

Tax on gasoline is a direct tax on the poor. Its the reason its not raised, it would most affect the cohort that are the ones that care about minimum wage.
That's a bit of a stretch. In my experience the truly poor don't own vehicles, or the ones that do it is a contributing factor to their inability to get by.

That being said, I'm with you in that I'm not complaining at all about the price of gas.

That's a bit of a stretch. In my experience the truly poor don't own vehicles, or the ones that do it is a contributing factor to their inability to get by.

That being said, I'm with you in that I'm not complaining at all about the price of gas.
Tough to have a job in most parts of this country without transportation. So yes, the only realistic way to become "un-poor" is via a job. Only the largest cities have decent public transit, but there also the most expensive to live in.

If you added 25 cents gas tax per gallon, someone making $30K a year would notice immediately. Someone making $300K per year would not.

Not saying its right or wrong, just a comment to someone regarding the fact the gas tax has not increased in decades. Many poor nations directly subsidize gasoline, as a sort of welfare to their populace.

Last edited:

Roads are still built - its paid from the general fund, which is mostly funded by income tax, which is mostly paid for by the upper income earners.

Yeah, the feds could easily add 20 cents to a gallon of gas and it wouldn't hurt, except for the incumbents in November, LOL.

I'd like to see heavier (less efficient) vehicles pay more-- they tear the roads up more. Mileage based taxes generally offend me as well.

The poor make poor choices-- instant gratification being common-- and get vehicles inappropriate for their financial situations. We need a bigger market for Mitsu Mirages. 😁

Having lived in PA since 1999, I was used to cheap gas over the bridge for 17 years.

11/1/16 it went up 23 cents in one fell swoop. Nobody listened that this would hurt people that worked.

I believe it went up another 5 cents around that time and whoa wouldn’t you know tomorrow is July 1 so yet another 10 cent tax goes into effect but my understanding over 5 years.

Again, this affects people that work. Not people who work from home. For some reason, I like paying less than the median price and not more. But I can’t control it. I think many of us have reigned in spending due to higher expenses, and I wish the governments of the world would consider it as well. I know, funny….

State schools usually have sunshine laws where anyone can see salaries for faculty and staff. Private schools... Not so much. It would be useful to coerce these guys to open their books if their graduates are going to get loan interest forgiveness.
Public universities have plenty of faculty and administrators that are making $200-500k/yr. So it’s not just private ones that have rich payrolls.

Then go look at the salaries of the president or football coach at even public universities…

Public universities have plenty of faculty and administrators that are making $200-500k/yr. So it’s not just private ones that have rich payrolls.

Then go look at the salaries of the president or football coach at even public universities…
I read a university President made $21 mil near me (private). A same person in that position lost her job. We’re not talking 200-500k. Heck the police chief in my town (small suburb) shows as $600k. We’re in a brave new world of haves, and have nots. Hard to say, but even I didn’t realize elementary school principals that I meet with over my 10 yo are at $160k. There are many local prep schools where I live and the headmasters are at around 500k. LA lifeguards as county employees top out at 500. Baywatch on paywatch.

UConn had several dental school faculty who were not department heads and they were semi-retired making $350K per year and they will continue to make that for life into retirement - they no longer offer this but back in the 70's and 80's they were giving these deals out. The number 1 and 2 highest-paid non-sports coach state employees in CT are each paid $1.2M and they are dermatologists at the health center in Farmington. I'm sure it's pegged to what they bring in but it's crazy to think tax payer dollars help fund $1.2M salaries for medical school faculty at a public university.

UConn had several dental school faculty who were not department heads and they were semi-retired making $350K per year and they will continue to make that for life into retirement - they no longer offer this but back in the 70's and 80's they were giving these deals out. The number 1 and 2 highest-paid non-sports coach state employees in CT are each paid $1.2M and they are dermatologists at the health center in Farmington. I'm sure it's pegged to what they bring in but it's crazy to think tax payer dollars help fund $1.2M salaries for medical school faculty at a public university.
When I think of CT employees this gentleman comes to mind. How about where one works for a govt with a relatively decent salary, but is able to use that position to earn an unlimited amount from other sources

Yes, it is aligned to what they bring in. Technical portions of a University are all about research expenditures. There can be named professorships, royalties from patents, etc too.

What I mean is if my deductible was $1800 and my max out of pocket maybe $5000 then a hip replacement costs $5000. I think there is a trick. If family and not single now it’s $8,000 because a coworker had said his hip replacement was $8k and everything else no more cost as he hit the max, so he was getting treated all year.

I know my wife’s insurance is the other extreme (school district) with $0 deductible. A hip replacement is $40. It could be $100 for 3 days in the hospital as well.

So $140 vs $8,000 is huge. But why I think my old insurance was bad was it was at least $650/mo….all the terms added up…go back 10 years and even a bank (wife) was $100/$250/$500 deductible and 10% coinsurance, maybe $2000 max out of pocket for a family. That to me is middle ground…
Where I work all the health insurance plans are terrible. There isn't even the option to pay a ton more for a low deductible / low copay policy. Most likely that's because they are very expensive now, because they know that if you picked it, it was because you were going to use it.

Where I work all the health insurance plans are terrible. There isn't even the option to pay a ton more for a low deductible / low copay policy. Most likely that's because they are very expensive now, because they know that if you picked it, it was because you were going to use it.
What is expensive and what is low?

My wife is a teacher, so were supposed to have this really great plan (so they tell us). We have a fairly low deductible, but then your on 20% co-insurance until you hit max out of pocket, the co-pay's are high for anything other than a GP and they stack - so even if you ever do hit your deductible you still pay those until you reach max out of pocket - then you still pay some - not quite sure how that works - only happened once.

My wife is a teacher, so were supposed to have this really great plan (so they tell us). We have a fairly low deductible, but then your on 20% co-insurance until you hit max out of pocket, the co-pay's are high for anything other than a GP and they stack - so even if you ever do hit your deductible you still pay those until you reach max out of pocket - then you still pay some - not quite sure how that works - only happened once.
Low is like what mostly only government people get. Zero (or nominal annual deductible) and a $10 copy. Expensive is what every gets, meaning < $1000 deductible (although normally several thousand dollars) and a 20% or more co-pay.

Min wage went up to $20 here and is a disaster. Instead of making more money the busisnesses are cutting hours and getting kiosks and robots to work.

It’s to be expected. Back in the 90’s I went to Stockholm to meet a woman who was a nurse. She had just gotten her apartment which was rent controlled. It took 9 years on a waiting list. Imho small businesses would have to cut back and often family members have to do everything from seating to cooking and these policies create shortages.

Here in PA teachers have great health care, until you hear about NJ.

$0 deductible but $20/$40/$100 copay.

So hip replacement is $40. But hospital is extra and $100 for 3 days. So $140 for a hip replacement.

NJ is even better, $15. Because they are $10/$15/$125. On top of that a friend says he gets like $800/yr put into an acct for medical so he uses it towards the copay.

And here is the truth. Just because I have a $0 deductible and 0% coinsurance, doesn’t mean I’m running to the dr for unnecessary services. Nor is my wife. The main thing is to not be paying my employer’s $650+/mo for something I can’t use, vs $250/mo for something we can.

The first scenario isn’t fair, the second is overly fair. And I’ve seen the cos with the unbelievable benefits, offer poor health care plans.

One determination that few use…what % does an employer pay? I prefer 90% 😂

Back