New Member/ New Vehicle/New Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Giles:
Could lowering the viscosity of your oil be the cause and not the filter?
No.
It was 20F this morning. Pressure jumped up IMMEDIATELY. Crankcase has approx 1.25qt 5w30 and 3.25 15w40.
Even in summer, 90F+ temps and engine still warm from previous running the pressure would not jump up that fast. Taking about 2 sec consistenly. This was with 10w40 oil.
I guarantee the 10w40 was thinner at those temps than the mix now was at 20F.
And I am comparing the pressures at operating temp (same) with previously 15w40 and M1 and Supertech filters to now with the mix mentioned above and BMW filter. The mix will be thinner, which should yeild lower pressures, yet the pressure is higher.

Some filters anti-drain valves leak and it sounds like the one you were using does this. Good idea to use the one you are now!

Changed the oil for the first time in the Vibe this morning. I ended up using Castrol GTX conventioanl oil with a Mobil 1 filter. I changed it at 755 miles. I am going to send in a sample from the next change.\

Edit- This car has a large capaity for a 1.8L engine. It took ALL of 5 quarts after I let it drain until it would no longer drip...

Since I have to stick with a short interval, I am going to go with dino oil. I don't plan on keeping this car forever either.

Funny story about the oil change...

You know how the factory puts the filters on very tight right? Well I played around with the filter for about an hour and was not able to get it off. Usually it’s not a problem to do the first filter by hand, but this is a small filter (Delco 1233, Mobil 103) and I couldn’t get a good grip. I tried a pipe wrench, a clamp, etc with no luck. Stupid me was sooo certain I could get it off I was nearly frozen to the pavement since it was 17 outside. After that hour, I went to the store, spent 3.17, and removed the filter 2 seconds later.

P.S. The stock filter was marked Toyota and Denso.

Jason

[ January 12, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: DABEAR95 ]

Jason, just a couple questions....Why would you bother to change the oil at 755 mi. with a conventional oil? Was there something wrong with it or did the owner's manual spec. changing the oil below 1k mi.? Especially, if you're not going to "keep the car" for long...

By not long, I mean that I wont keep it for 10-11 years like my last car. I always change the oil on my new cars prior to the recommended change interval when the engine is new. Habit

You would be surprised how the oil looks after only a few hundred miles on some new engines.

Edit- It came with conventional oil from the factory.

[ January 13, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: DABEAR95 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back