Oil differences?

(If you tried to use oil with the same level of additives as diesel oil in a regular combustion engine, it would be completely flooded with overwhelming levels of detergents, which could [compromise the engine's structural integrity] and cause it to belch smoke)

(If you tried to use diesel engine oil in a conventional engine, it would need to output [dangerous levels of heat] just to get the oil properly flowing, which means your engine would [turn into a veritable swamp] at low temperatures)

🤣🤣🤣

What a load of nonsensical bs. Why do clowns even bother to talk about oil.

Interesting article.
I would like to know what is factual /inaccurate about the claims made. My vehicles are older gas units and aren't direct injected
Any thoughts?
That short article is the best laught I've had for awhile! Wow people....

Before anyone says I'm exposing this guy his name and info was in the article itself and this is just sad. The moron has a masters thesis in the nintendo Mario game history? is this seriously a thing? It's no wonder America is swirling in the toilet. Absolutely no worthwhile background or training in anything. Just reading this made me feel second hand embarrassment.

"But he has a masters while you don't" yeah that's a compliment nowadays.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 085611.jpg

That's a silly article. Don't put any technical faith in it. It's written by someone who has zero exposure to the automotive lubricants industry.

I liked this picture of the racing vehicles further down in the article. The Havoline truck has a Mobil-1 sticker on it. How cool is that? :)
havoline truck.jpg

(If you tried to use oil with the same level of additives as diesel oil in a regular combustion engine, it would be completely flooded with overwhelming levels of detergents, which could [compromise the engine's structural integrity] and cause it to belch smoke)

(If you tried to use diesel engine oil in a conventional engine, it would need to output [dangerous levels of heat] just to get the oil properly flowing, which means your engine would [turn into a veritable swamp] at low temperatures)

🤣🤣🤣
It would suddenly be as loud as Ford’s PSD … 😵‍💫
(Don’t you hate pressing the button at Sonic and one pulls up)

I'd like to see him explain the European oil classifications! Especially ACEA A7/B7.
If you ask him that he might tell you some video game nonsense instead. Apparently the clown has a master's in mario video game history.

He states diesel engines run hotter. I have always been under the impression that they run cooler, since it's been reported that diesel cars are more difficult to heat in the winter.

So much to unpack:

The big difference is the quantity of additives present in diesel engine oil versus the regular stuff. Since diesel engines are larger on average and create more sooty gunk in general operation, diesel engine oil has a greater concentration of the relevant additives to make up the difference. If you tried to use oil with the same level of additives as diesel oil in a regular combustion engine, it would be completely flooded with overwhelming levels of detergents, which could compromise the engine's structural integrity and cause it to belch smoke.

In the context of the article, which seems to be discussing light vehicles (ie cars and light duty trucks/vans), any ACEA-rated oil will have cover for gasoline and diesel built in. There are some dual-rated API oils too, although not so much with the newer specs. I'm also not sure how detergent is going to "compromise the engine's structural integrity". I present the numerous worshippers of Shell Rotella, which gets put in everything but I've yet to hear of an engine dissolving or falling apart.

Engine oil is designed to flow differently depending on the temperature of the engine it's operating in. When the engine is relatively cool, the oil becomes thick and goopy, and when it heats up, it starts to flow more cleanly and quickly, like water. Since a diesel engine is larger and operates hotter than a regular combustion engine, the appropriate oil needs to be able to accommodate the difference.

Diesel engines operate hotter at the piston crown area but tend to have lower bulk oil temperatures due to the huge cooling effect of operating constantly at full air flow. Diesel engine oils tend to be overall higher viscosity than gasoline simply to tolerate the much higher pressures involved in diesel combustion. And wow, "goopy", such a technical word.

Back