New Mazda CX-5

We actually looked at a red one too, red is not normally my color, but Mazda does it right.
I may be a bit biased, but I agree 100%

1644896754708.jpg

IIRC, earlier CX-5 suggests 5W-20 @ 7500 mile OCIs on the NA engine. The XG7137 is the oversize filter for
most Asian engines and works fine on you Mazda.
I'm leaning toward European spec oils.

My 2¢

Just picked up a '22 CX-5 for my wife with the 2.5L NA Skactiv-G mill. Factory specs Mazda 0W-20 full synthetic and changing up to 10,000 miles under normal conditions.

Do these need an early change after break in?

Any recommendations on oil? I am thinking about running Mazda or Idemitsu full synthetic and changing every 7,500.

Thanks!

View attachment 88935
So a question how is the cylinder deactivation working out for you? I looked at a 2017 today a Sport. Because I'm very Leary of the cylinder deactivation. I was very impress with the 2017.

I have run Idemitsu x2, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, Havoline Pro DS, and Mobil 1AP, all in 0w20. On deck is Valvoline Extended Protection.

These SkyActiv motors are easy on oil. I change mine every 5000 miles/one year.

Use the OEM Roki filters. They are excellent and competitively priced.
PimTac where are you getting your filters from the Dealership an Autoparts store or online.

Congrats! We have a 2018 CX-5 with 42,000 miles, same engine. It has had dealership oil changes every 5 or 6 thousand miles, and no problems. We moved and the new dealership offered to do a "fuel system service" at the last OC. I declined, added Techron, and will be doing my own OCs from here on. Probably M1EP 0W20 and OEM filters. Enjoy!

Just shy of 4 months ago (20 Oct.) we traded in our purchased new '16 Mazda3 Sport (base) w/21K.
We both use it and are EXTATIC that this car isn't being used to commute-a COVID silver lining.
The Mazda3 was a joy to drive. This CX-5 is so much more. Good luck with yours.

Ours has a 2.5NA. Is that the "G mill" mentioned above?

I see one bloke here recommends NOT using an"xxw20" except for cold climes. Are any of the "good" 0W-30's OK?

We went with the dark blue as many here do. A Mazda dealer on US 46 (Lodi, NJ) has fronted the lot with red ones....looks cool.

Just shy of 4 months ago (20 Oct.) we traded in our purchased new '16 Mazda3 Sport (base) w/21K.
We both use it and are EXTATIC that this car isn't being used to commute-a COVID silver lining.
The Mazda3 was a joy to drive. This CX-5 is so much more. Good luck with yours.

Ours has a 2.5NA. Is that the "G mill" mentioned above?

I see one bloke here recommends NOT using an"xxw20" except for cold climes. Are any of the "good" 0W-30's OK?

We went with the dark blue as many here do. A Mazda dealer on US 46 (Lodi, NJ) has fronted the lot with red ones....looks cool.

G stands for gasoline.

Any major brand of 0w20 will run fine. These engines were designed from the beginning to use 0w20.

Many good oil choices in 0w20 I would take Benjy with some salt.. his observations are often quite..... ODD.

My top choice would be mobil 1 0w20 EP which has a very high amount of PAO(group IV)

IIRC MB229.71 and vw 508/509 are mostly for engines with exhaust particulate filters..

Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 has both MB229.71 and vw508/509 and "meets or exceeds" api SP
but for the price of this oil I think the more readily available and much cheaper m1 EP 0w20 is the best choice..

Great SUV, good luck with it. You will have MANY trouble free miles on it. We have an old 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive. Never needed a repair yet and the CX5 is on the wife's short list when time to replace it, which wont be anytime soon, she works from home now and very low use car..

Oil, use whatever makes you happy, change at recommended intervals. For me that would mean @ the 7,500 you mention.
If I was in a warm climate or during warm months I rather use a 5w30 but that is up to you, not sure what the newer manuals say. It used to be 5/30 was ok outside the USA and Canada. Ok in Mexico and just about the rest of the world. Here in SC all I ever use is 5w30.

IIRC MB229.71 and vw 508/509 are mostly for engines with exhaust particulate filters..

1644942734935.png

Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 has both MB229.71 and vw508/509 and "meets or exceeds" api SP

Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 would be preferable, however, for the price, I would choose Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20.

Then again, the OP can run 5W-30 as well, and there are many great choices.

Valvoline XL-III 5W-30 is API SP and MB229.52 approved. The owner manual allows for 5W-30, so the warranty wouldn't be a concern with this one. An HTHS of 3.5 is preferable.

Valvoline EP 5W-30 has an HTHS of 3.2 and is a great choice as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like M1 products as my signature shows, however, I believe there are many other great choices out there.

View attachment 89015

Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 would be preferable, however, for the price, I would choose Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20.

Then again, the OP can run 5W-30 as well, and there are many great choices.

Valvoline XL-III 5W-30 is API SP and MB229.52 approved. The owner manual allows for 5W-30, so the warranty wouldn't be a concern with this one. An HTHS of 3.5 is preferable.

Valvoline EP 5W-30 has an HTHS of 3.2 and is a great choice as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like M1 products as my signature shows, however, I believe there are many other great choices out there.
Keep in mind the Lubrizol chart isn't designed to compare specs outside of a given body or manufacturer, so you can't directly compare SP to the MB or VW certs, it is just designed to show what emphasis the approval places on each of the areas, relative to others within that same family.

In terms of base oil selection, Mobil is clearly willing to spend more on the EP product:
ESP
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.57.51 AM.jpg

EP
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.59.09 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind the Lubrizol chart isn't designed to compare specs outside of a given body or manufacturer, so you can't directly compare SP to the MB or VW certs, it is just designed to show what emphasis the approval places on each of the areas, relative to others within that same family.

In terms of base oil selection, Mobil is clearly willing to spend more on the EP product:
ESP
View attachment 89016

EP
View attachment 89017
That’s like M1 AP is back ! However, if going under 10k - gotta wonder if the PAO/GTL mix doesn’t have a lower Noack
But, EP is certainly easy to find …

Shoot, thanks for reminding me. It's easy to forget sometimes as it's tempting to make comparisons.

So you think it costs them more money to blend M1 EP 0W-20 than it does ESP 0W-20? Yet they charge more for the ESP product, and given the approvals, it "seems" better. I know that MB229.71 was designed with light-duty diesel engines in mind, with particulate filters. So I wonder if M1 EP 0W-20 could be used in place of ESP 0W-20 for gasoline engines if it's indeed a superior product. What do you think?

[Adendum]

I wonder if the remaining 30%~40% in M1 EP 0W-20 is either GTL or Group III+? What's your take?

That’s like M1 AP is back ! However, if going under 10k - gotta wonder if the PAO/GTL mix doesn’t have a lower Noack
But, EP is certainly easy to find …
Would depend on what grade of PAO they are using there I suspect.

The VI on the ESP oil is 189
The VI on M1 EP is 131

So I'd say that EP is straight PAO, probably has basically zero VII in it, so I'd expect it to have lower Noack.

Back