New M1 EP ("Triple Action Formula") Formulations : Reduced Esters ?

Two of those guys lived in my town. I lived in Mullica Hill, NJ for a year a while back. Maybe I'll go knock on his door and ask him about Mobil 1. 🤪 j/k
Caution. The guy from Mullica Hill mentioned in this patent must have answers that could shake the beliefs firmly established on the forum. Woe betide anyone who decides to disseminate this knowledge here. j/k 😂

So it looks like they're using some type of cleanliness booster that gets you around the lower SAPs levels. Alkylphenol shows up on the MSDS for Mobil 1. (*pure speculation).

1699200691730.png

This was one of the formulations in the patent:

A lubricant composition, consisting of:

10% polyalphaolefin base oil;
64.21% Group III base oil;
5% alkylated naphthalene co-baseoil;
4.99% of supporting additives including antioxidants, detergents, antiwear, antifoam, inorganic friction modifiers and pour point depressants;
6.4% hydrogenated isoprene star polymer
7;1% of a cleanliness booster;0.74% borated PIBSA/PAM dispersant;
3.96% of an ashless, dispersant-stabilized borated friction modifier Including: a tetrahedral borate anion having a boron atom with two bidentate di-oxo ligands both being a linear C18-tartrimide; a first dispersant comprising a conventional ammonium substituted polyisobutenyl succinimide compound having a polyisobutenyl number average molecular weight of 750 to 2,500; a second dispersant comprising an ammonium substituted polyisobutenyl succinimde compound having an N:CO ratio of 1.8 and a polyisobutylenyl number average molecular weight of 750 to 2,500;

Could be why oxidation values across the board (including ESP/FS 0w40) are now all under 10.

"Cleanliness is difficult to achieve in a modern engine oil formulation due to limits placed on ash containing componentry (e.g., overbased detergents) which are used to prevent formation of deposits. These ash limits are in place to reduce blockage of diesel particulate filters and limit the amount of an overbased detergent that may be used in a given engine oil formulation. One method of overcoming this limit is through the use of ashless cleanliness boosters. Some of these materials which are commercially available include alkyl phenol ether polymers, polyisobutylene polymers and ashless detergent chemistries."

Back