New M1 EP ("Triple Action Formula") Formulations : Reduced Esters ?

Being more or less the SP / GF6 / D1/Gen 3 rated flagship 0W20 , 5W30 synthetic oils of Mobil for North America , it is believed according to newer data that esters have been reduced in the M1 EP oils . If this is the case , how has M1 changed the EP formulation and still continue the cleaning / performance M1 EP oils are historically noted for with higher ester amounts ?

Being more or less the SP / GF6 / D1/Gen 3 rated flagship 0W20 , 5W30 synthetic oils of Mobil for North America , it is believed according to newer data that esters have been reduced in the M1 EP oils . If this is the case , how has M1 changed the EP formulation and still continue the cleaning / performance M1 EP oils are historically noted for with higher ester amounts ?
Based on virgin oxidation readings over the years, the ESP/0w40 oils had some Group V. The EP oils showed a low oxidation reading. It is believed they use AN's, but only XOM knows.

Mobil 1 EP claims to clean up sludge within 1 oil change.
I don’t believe this. OVERKILL ran M1 EP in his truck and HPL purged lots of gunk that M1 didn’t touch.
Many oils claim to clean-up sludge. Sludge isn't adhesive, so you are essentially just rinsing it away. By far the easiest deposit to eliminate. It's varnish and lacquer that are hard to remove because they bond to the metal and require something with high solvency to break them down and remove them.

As I pointed out in another thread, it's interesting that Mobil claims their FS 0W-40 cleans, not cleans sludge, just cleans. That mirrors my experience with it liberating the same sort of carbonaceous grit in our old Expedition that myself and others are seeing with HPL.

Based on virgin oxidation readings over the years, the ESP/0w40 oils had some Group V. The EP oils showed a low oxidation reading. It is believed they use AN's, but only XOM knows.
Very helpful ! Group V is perhaps the better term to use here ...

Many oils claim to clean-up sludge. Sludge isn't adhesive, so you are essentially just rinsing it away. By far the easiest deposit to eliminate. It's varnish and lacquer that are hard to remove because they bond to the metal and require something with high solvency to break them down and remove them.

As I pointed out in another thread, it's interesting that Mobil claims their FS 0W-40 cleans, not cleans sludge, just cleans. That mirrors my experience with it liberating the same sort of carbonaceous grit in our old Expedition that myself and others are seeing with HPL.
*Which exact HPL oil did you use ?

A good synthetic should clean as it lubricates - this Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 has just 2k on it

IMG_8614.jpeg

"helps remove sludge in one oil change" is what's written on the back label...nothing is written about cleaning up all sludge in one oil change...I'd suspect many detergent oils would remove some sludge in an engine that has sludge in it...YMMV

Bill

A good synthetic should clean as it lubricates - this Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 has just 2k on it

View attachment 159104
To an extent. You need a base oil with high solvency to remove varnish/lacquer, most vanilla PCMO's don't have those in them either at all, or in sufficient volume. Mobil is hit and miss on this front, the FS 0W-40 clearly does, but virgin oxidation on the PAO version of the EP 0W-20 didn't imply any ester content. They could have used some AN, but it is hard to tell without ICP.

Back