new Lightning says...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick_Lude,

My '02 Ford Manual doesn't list multiple viscosities. I think listing mulitple viscosities goes against what CAFE is trying to accomplish which is to get people to actually choose the oil that gets the better gas mileage. If they listed 5w20 and 5w30 in the Owners manual, then 95% of the people would probably choose 5w30 which defeats the purpose of going to the lower grade. I read a letter from the EPA that shows their concern in regards to people using the recommended weight, which is why it is printed on the oil cap also.

Quick_lude, you don't own a Ford do you. Ford doesn't give any options about oil. This not a new thing since they started calling for 5W-20 because they didn't give an option when they called for 5W-30 either. It either says 5W-30 as in my 2000 model, or 5W-20 as in my 2001 model. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If it is a Ford, it can only run one oil weight, ACCORDING TO FORD.

BTW, some of the early built 2001 Lightings accidentally got 5W-30 oil fill caps left over from 2000 production.
shocked.gif
I wonder if they voided any of those guys warranty
rolleyes.gif

[ January 24, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: mracer ]

Ford has to use the strongest possible language to get people to use the 5W20. If people don't use it, Ford will have it's CAFE calculated using the oil that people are using. I don't know if the new Hondas still use the temp chart. I don't think Honda has to worry about CAFE the way that Ford does.

No offense intended.... But when is the last time you witnessed a dealership use a portable viscometer or oil analysis to verify viscosity of any oil ?
dunno.gif

From what I've seen lately the consumer, especially the people that read this board know more about lubricants than the dealer service techs.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I don't know if the new Hondas still use the temp chart. I don't think Honda has to worry about CAFE the way that Ford does.

My 2003 Honda Accord V6 manual does have the temp chart, but it just shows 5W-20 for the entire temperature range.

As for what ExxonMobil said about the new Lighting engine being re-designed for the new 5W-20 oil, i call B.S.! It would be way too costly to do this; the penny pinchers would stop it anyways.

If this were true (Ford redesigning the engine) then, BMW would have done so before switching all (new)M3's from the 5w-30 to 10w-60 oil! This is the viscosity that ALL M3's, even ones that have not detonated yet, and they are not having any oil problems.

More to the story besides 5W-30 oil IMO

BMW North America is dealing with the blown engine issue “on a case-by-case basis” and won’t say how many engines have been replaced or what ills them.

Owners have been told “The M Group in Germany [is] still methodically researching the issue.” BMW encourages owners to follow break-in guidelines, pay particular attention to oil levels, warm up the engine properly, use 10W60 weight oil, do not rev engine with clutch disengaged and not to rev in excess of 8000 rpm.

I found a local dealer of Conoco lubricants and am going to contact him about getting some 5-20 for my ride ... for break-in - after 10000 miles I'll switch to Mobil 1 5-30 ...

Here's the kicker went to my local Ford dealer to get some Motorcraft 5-20 qoute from parts manager - "good luck trying to get any of that oil viscosity in any Ford dealer around here - as a matter of fact I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting any lubricants at all from Mother Ford" - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - what's up with that Ford recommends a certain oil then doesn't supply it well needless to say I had her write me out a short note stating it wasn't available (for future reference)

"Assuming a warranty claim ever got this point, a quick oil analysis on their part would show if the right grade had been in use. If they wanted to be strict about it and found viscosities that indicated you were using 5W-30 rather than 5W-20 during the warranty period, you're toast. "

I realize this thread started with Ford. My 2002 Honda's owners manual and service manual say 5w-20 only. However whenever I go to the high priced dealer for oil change, they use 5w-30 according to the receipt.

Mrblue, that's strange. My dealer in North Jersey has pallet loads of Motorcraft oil in stock including the 5W-20. Maybe your dealer is trying to "increase" their profit margin by using other than Motorcraft oils. Usually something in bulk. For my oil changes they use the 1 quart bottles of 5W-20. I believe they even have gallon containers of the 5W-20 now. Heck, even Walmart stocks Motorcraft oils.

Whimsey

Hm, so I guess all the new cars have only one viscosity recommendation.. Interesting. I for one would be very sceptical using a 5W20 oil, especially in a hard working truck engine or a sports car engine.

I have offered to bring in 5w20 for Ford in this country (currently sell them Chevron Supreme 5w30).
The national service manager said NO WAY. He is sticking with 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back