New law limits DIY auto repairs

Do your work with the garage door closed.

Sacramento's "leaders" must be bored, because they seem to be begging for a constitutional suit. Maybe even a class action if they can get their ducks in a row about what defines the class of people that do their own repairs.

Not that I needed another reason, but here's another reason to stay away from the land of the fruits and the nuts. I can't believe the exodus hasn't been larger than it is.

The code is almost two years old... why bring it up now?
Go back and read it again. The state law outlawing exhaust mods was passed a few years ago. This article dated 4 days ago plainly states " Now Sacramento County has taken an extra step. A new law passed by the county will limit the kinds of repairs car owners can do to their vehicles."

Go back and read it again. The state law outlawing exhaust mods was passed a few years ago. This article dated 4 days ago plainly states " Now Sacramento County has taken an extra step. A new law passed by the county will limit the kinds of repairs car owners can do to their vehicles."
And if you search for the code/law, you get hits from June/July 2019, with this shining example of an "article" being the sole hit from this year.

This article is pure fluff and there is no new information contained within. In fact, there is barely any information contained within the article; no link to the code/law, and no reputable source. Almost like it was solely created to generate clicks.

And if you search for the code/law, you get hits from June/July 2019, with this shining example of an "article" being the sole hit from this year.

This article is pure fluff and there is no new information contained within. In fact, there is barely any information contained within the article; no link to the code/law, and no reputable source. Almost like it was solely created to generate clicks.
Does that make the ordinance any less egregious?

Does that make the ordinance any less egregious?
Not to me; I live in North Carolina.

Does anyone here live in Sacramento? Maybe we should get the thoughts of the local residents before we pile on "Commiefornia" for what is only a local ordinance.

As others have stated: has this been challenged in court? Lots of useless feel good laws on the books that are unenforceable.

We have old Minnesota pals that moved to California in 1982. They are now in the process of moving back as Calif has changed too much over the years and finally, time to leave. While I told them that their old home area, while not like there, wasn't quite the same as it had been either, but on they come.

For sure it’s bad news, but realistically it’s for lower income neighborhoods, in which guys are running home based auto repair shops. I found one in Calgary where the guy had a tire changing machine and he and his wife were changing tires and selling used rims and tires for winter tire use. The local council restricted him to having clients turn right into his driveway instead of trying to turn left across busy traffic and backing up cars. They were using pneumatic torque wrenches. Definitely the racket could be heard by the next door neighbors.

If a person was doing their own cars ( and not for “curbing” vehicles”), then it would be so seldom it wouldn’t matter much. However, in lower income neighborhoods it can be common to see disabled cars in the front and back of of lots. Looks like crap. Cali is the perfect place to work on your car outside.

Last edited:
Back