New law limits DIY auto repairs

For all of you "glad I don't live there" replies...
I am also glad you don't live here! Housing is expensive enough. The weather is great and our taxes actually aren't all that different than most states.

Nevermind. High gas. Wildfires. Earthquakes. You all should stay far away. Its for your own good.

For all of you "glad I don't live there" replies...
I am also glad you don't live here! Housing is expensive enough. The weather is great and our taxes actually aren't all that different than most states.

Nevermind. High gas. Wildfires. Earthquakes. You all should stay far away. Its for your own good.

And don't forget that every time the wind blows, the electric companies will randomly and deliberately turn off your power, and water supplies that were built for half the population that we currently have...the list goes on.

Ed

Most of these problems could be solved by enforcing the noise ordinance or with a visit from the tax man.

If you live in Sacramento, California this applies to you: https://www.odometer.com/car-care/2562390/sacramento-ca-makes-diy-auto-repairs-illegal/
Posted without comment, I'll leave that to you.
I have a feeling it'll only be enforced if you're draining coolant in a gutter and leaving a huge mess on your property. Many cities outside of Cali have ordinances that say, for instance, a car can't stay parked for more than 72 hours on a street and such. Almost never enforced unless your neighbors are jerks, it's street cleaning day, or your live where there's snow removal.

The Police around here don't have time for this kinda stuff. Heck, you should see the carpool cheats. The carpool lane has become a joke.
It seems people tend to follow the laws they like and disregard the rest.

The Police around here don't have time for this kinda stuff. Heck, you should see the carpool cheats. The carpool lane has become a joke.
It seems people tend to follow the laws they like and disregard the rest.
I get that Jeff. That’s the problem with letting small stuff slide. My old neighborhood I had a guy doing brake pad replacements on his split shift break. Pretty soon cars lined up down the block while he hammered away. It’s no way to live.

I get that Jeff. That’s the problem with letting small stuff slide. My old neighborhood I had a guy doing brake pad replacements on his split shift break. Pretty soon cars lined up down the block while he hammered away. It’s no way to live.
At first I didn't understand your example. But now I get it. Cars waiting to be worked on...
My older brother owned and operated Comprehensive Mechanics in Santa Cruz, CA. Near the beautiful University of CA at Santa Cruz campus.
He did not (could not) allow cars to stay in their parking lot. It would become a horrible mess in no time. I think he even had some cars towed off for customers who took advantage. Had to.

Do your work with the garage door closed.

Sacramento's "leaders" must be bored, because they seem to be begging for a constitutional suit. Maybe even a class action if they can get their ducks in a row about what defines the class of people that do their own repairs.

Not that I needed another reason, but here's another reason to stay away from the land of the fruits and the nuts. I can't believe the exodus hasn't been larger than it is.
Some of us are stuck here😞

I happened to be at city council when the city was voting on a complaint that a guy’s neighbour was parking a limousine he drove in his own driveway. The council voted it was OK with the caveat that no maintenance or repair procedures were to be conducted on the vehicle while it was on the driveway. This was in NE Calgary for those who know the city. ;)

this was instituted almost 2 years ago--it's just remanufactured outrage and California bashing, IMO (a lot of other municipalities nationwide have similar ordinances).

The target seems pretty clear: mobile fly-by-night repair shops. I have seen some crazy stuff in California, including the guys doing a transmission swap on the sidewalk outside of a rental condo of mine. Pretty ingenious, actually. They unbolted the subframe and lifted the chassis off of the ground--had it up in the air on some cut 2x4's... They managed the whole thing in about 6 hours.

I think it's a lot of hand wringing over nothing.

If that is the state of Sacramento?

.>...*^.^*

Then I am the mutha-flappin, high poobah pirate king! 🏴‍☠️

I have a stationary compressor in my garage.
Several impact tools and pneumatic hammers...
And not one, but two. Yes TWO torque wrenches. Because the ladies really love it when you go from inches into full on feet of..."torque".

I can understand the issues though. Cars on jacks for as wide as your yard is, hazardous waste and byproducts, oil, fluid, metal and plastic scrap? Unless you're very conscientious and a bit socially responsible, you can do a lot of harm over time. :( And yes, the eyesore of a hoopty museum.

I have the things I do only because I really enjoy working on my own vehicles, as responaibly as I can manage. I even capture brake clean and recycle everything and waste product, plastic and metal ASAP. I don't even let the neighbors see any temporary, sealed storage. But they know I'm the neighborhood wrench if they have any questions.

I take payments in cigars and beer. Hardly an organized, professional outfit I'm running. Avast! And...Arrrrrgh, mateys! Turn those wrenches! D*mned be the landlubber that doesn't know his arse from a right or left handed screwdriver!

Back