a california emissions car purchase workaround confusion...

You should probably look into getting a temporary plate from the state that you're in and be able to drive it from California to you for a few days that the temporary plate is good for.
The CHP has better things to do than run down temp plates. Plus, he can be out of CA in 1 day.

So this is going to be a bit of a wierd one how things convoluted but i'll simplify it as much as possible. :)

Someone died in north dakota owning a car licence plated there (more than a year ago)

A relative in california has been trying to legally claim the car...
I bought a Washington St. 82 Mazda B2000 from a mechanic in CA under a mechanics lien. He fixed the truck and the lady never came to pick it up, 30-60-90 days comes and goes and he becomes the 'owner' of a WA state (49 state FED model) in Cali. He sells it to me and doesnt even have to smog it, I do! Its part of the lien sale criteria. So I now have a 49 state truck in CA and the DMV registered it to me as a FED model with smog due to the FED levels. FED in my case was the absence of a physical air pump, 49 state used pulse induction off the exhaust to draw air into the exhaust manifold to assist burning of HC. I did have some issues smogging it as no one knew what FED levels were for this truck in CA so I finally had to take it to a smog referee and he wrote a note to the next smog guy that it could be tested in 2nd gear for the 15-25 MPH roller test as the first idiot told me it was running too "fast" for the 25 MPH roller test in first gear. Dumb ass couldnt figure out 25mph in first is going to be revving pretty good in a 5sp. This may be an option: give it to a mechanic friend and have him sit on it for 30 days and then request a lien sale from the DMV. Worked in my case but its a little wonky. If your a relative it should not be an issue. I was willed my deceased fathers SC400. Original Cali registered car that lived in Texas for its final 5 years. I drove it home and took it to AAA and they just transferred the title into my name as the son. No smog cert needed.

As far as I know, you can register a federal emissions vehicle in CA as long as it's "used," which legally means that it has more than 7,500 miles on it. It will be tested to federal emissions standards. Back in the day, my 2000 Cavalier was originally a North Carolina vehicle.

Back