New Kohler 7000 Series 1st OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zee09
None of mine had that issue
The biggest Kohler I have is the 33 hp ( different animal) and the mowers manual- not Kohler
says that it is fine to mow at 3000 RPM and go up from there- I usually run around 3200 rpm for many reasons
and no issues doing so. If you purchased from a dedicated mower shop- they see tons of your model and they can quickly give you the scoop. I waited to run synthetic as on start up mine was smoking on my first engine at 55 hrs with FS oil and I had to dump the oil and go back to conventional and with that change the smoking went away quickly and after one hundred plus hours I did go back to FS-no issues at all.
Exmark required a 5 hr oil change and not the filter. I did it all and next time I'd leave the filter on as it was clean
with nothing in it. Most of these new mowers have the oil filter torqued to death. I use a long socket wrench or a breaker bar with
this tool- required usually..

I am using T5 10w-30 and @23hrs. It smokes a little during start-up & shutdown. Not visible but I can smell it. I checked the dipstick and still measures full. I changed oil&[email protected] (t5 & Fram ultra Xg3614)
My Kohler is a KT725 and the oil capacity is not 2.0qts but 1.8qts.

Last edited:
SuperTech SAE30... $2.60 per quart, conventional for your break in, good stuff for mowers. Rotella or Delo syn blend 10W30 after break in.

My John Deere with a Kohler Command 25hp has 750 hours on it and runs perfect. Used conventional 10w30 John Deere for the first 100 hours since it came with the mower, then used Rotella T5 10w30 and Napa 1348 ever since.

My grandfather has a Scag 3-wheel mower with a 22hp Kohler Command and around 800 hours. That one uses a bit of oil so it gets SuperTech 15w40 and a Napa 1348.

I'd use a HDEO or a good SAE 30.

Thanks for all of the replies.

@Patrick - Thanks for the cross reference on the oil filter. I am a fan of the Fram Ultras and will definitely use them.

@Snagglefoot - My apologies with mixing my references. As @Patrick stated, that info was found on the Kohler website but was omitted from the manual.

Based on the responses I am seeing, I will most likely save the Mobil Super for use in the old Caddy and run an HDEO. While I do like the idea of running a straight 30 weight, I may find myself mulching leaves or doing some yard cleanup into the Fall where temps will likely be dropping into the 30s at times. For that reason I will probably go with the 10w30 Kohler recommends for most temps. Rotella T4 10w30 sound like a good choice?

Originally Posted By: StillLearning
Thanks for all of the replies.

@Patrick - Thanks for the cross reference on the oil filter. I am a fan of the Fram Ultras and will definitely use them.

@Snagglefoot - My apologies with mixing my references. As @Patrick stated, that info was found on the Kohler website but was omitted from the manual.

Based on the responses I am seeing, I will most likely save the Mobil Super for use in the old Caddy and run an HDEO. While I do like the idea of running a straight 30 weight, I may find myself mulching leaves or doing some yard cleanup into the Fall where temps will likely be dropping into the 30s at times. For that reason I will probably go with the 10w30 Kohler recommends for most temps. Rotella T4 10w30 sound like a good choice?

Your welcome. I purchased my XG3614 6 pack from eBay. They are genuine Fram and stamped made in the USA. Around $35-$40. They are plenty of forum comments and YouTube videos stating the cross-reference compatibility to oem Kohler filters. Why pay more and get less filtration. The problem is that 6 ultra filters is approx. 24 years or a 20/30 yr mortgage or a silver wedding anniversary or several marriages/divorces. Lol.

I ran Exxon Superflow conventional 10W-30 in our Toro with Kohler engine for the first 5 years with no problems, same oil I was using in my 2001 Ram at the time. I switched to syn 10W-30 last change because it was cheaper (Havoline Pro DS 10W-30 on clearance @ AAP with Chevron rebate when I bought it). I've been running Wix made Carquest Blue 81516 oversize oil filters I got from Rockauto back when their shipping was cheaper, I also have some Frampion ones in my stash.

My Kohler Courage 21 takes 1 quart of oil in the sump after prefilling and installing the filter. Running the oversize filter makes a O/FCI 1.5 quarts for me.

Last edited:
After this discussion I think I will change factory fill at 25 hours, then run another 50 hours with Kohler oil, then run Delo 10W30 syn blend changing annually ($15 per gallon and $20 rebate on 3 gallons). That plan and amount of oil should get me 10 years, lol. May see if Fleet Farm has 5w30 jugs to use in my push mower and snow blower.

Decent plan?

Rotella T-6 in my Kohler and I plan on going longer than my usual 50 hrs with it. It looks much better on the dipstick than the previous 5/10w-30 oils looked at the same hours. This engine really seems to like the T-6, the level has barely moved off the full mark with over 40 hrs on it, it's quieter, and I don't get the puff of smoke on start up I used to get with thinner oils.

I use a wix 51348 filter, bigger than stock with a similar by-pass.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
I have the same engine. 1st oil filter and drain plug was extremely tight. Get a oil fiter cap and a large pair of channel locks to get it removed. It was insanely overtighthened. Buy a synthetic media Fram xg3614 oil filter and they are rated for 15k automotive miles. They can easily go 100hrs since they work better partially clogged. My plan is to drain/fill every 50hrs and do the filter every 100hrs. I am pretty sure the filters can go 200 hrs which is equivalent to 6k miles(assuming an average speed of 30 mph).

Just posted

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4767985/Fram_Ultra_3600_1_year_114_hou ]Fram Ultra 3600 oil filter with 114 hrs[/url]
Changing a synthetic filter @50hrs is such a waste of $$$.

Last edited:
I’m curious why, on all these small engine oil debates, no one recommends Royal Purple SAE 30 full synthetic for summertime OPE use.

Any ideas?

Roy

RP is pretty expensive stuff unless u get it at clearance prices. Right now u can get Rotella T6 4qt full synthetic for $14 after rebate until Dec 2018. $7 for 1.5 to 2 mowing seasons (50hrs) is very reasonable. RP is not cost effective for my situation.

Originally Posted By: HighwayRanger
I’m curious why, on all these small engine oil debates, no one recommends Royal Purple SAE 30 full synthetic for summertime OPE use.

Any ideas?

Because it is basically synthetic 10W30. Synthetic has great cold flow properties, so its about impossible to make a synthetic SAE30 oil. Since it meets the properties of 10W30, and if they were honest, they would market it as 10W30, BUT they put SAE30 on the container to MARKET the oil, which is horse hockey.

Its an expensive synthetic 10W30 boutique oil, that is WAY overpriced for the realized performance of the product. In small engines, its a complete waste of money. Rotella 15W40 will give you the same performance for a bargain comparatively. Even store brand synthetic 10W30, changed at normal frequencies, will give your engine a super long life (from a lube standpoint).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back