Thoughts on Kohler 7000 series engines

Just curious about their 7000 series - I'm familiar with their magnum and command lines but not the 7000. I've heard plenty bad about their courage and wondered if the 7000 was an evolution of that. Looked up some sales literature and they claim it's derived from the command pro? Is this an answer to the Briggs Commercial Turf perhaps?

It’s Kohler’s 3rd place engine. Command Pro is their top of the line commercial engine. The Kohler Confidant is next and the Kohler 7000 series follows that.
It’s not the answer to Briggs commercial turf. The 7000 series is a residential unit.

Even if it's the cheaper engine it's still a Kohler and as long as you remember to change the oil it'll last long. It's typically not the engine that is the issue but the hydrostatic transmissions. Though I took one apart and replaced a blown seal on my old zero turn. My 2006 ariens is the residential one with the cheap Kohler and it's only had 5 oil changes since changing it yearly or after just 30hrs or so is a waste. Oil is still light colored after a year.

Even if it's the cheaper engine it's still a Kohler and as long as you remember to change the oil it'll last long. It's typically not the engine that is the issue but the hydrostatic transmissions. Though I took one apart and replaced a blown seal on my old zero turn. My 2006 ariens is the residential one with the cheap Kohler and it's only had 5 oil changes since changing it yearly or after just 30hrs or so is a waste. Oil is still light colored after a year.
Agree. If proper maintenance guidelines are followed, it should last a long time. I have a Kohler Confidant ZT740 on my Gravely Pro Turn 260. It’s coming on 150 hours and has been rock solid.

I had a 54” for years with a Kohler Courage V2 - no issues …
Got my first single a few months back (5400 Series) - I’ll change the oil 2x a year - maybe oil filter once …

An example of what Dumb Joe could do is use the old Kohler filter he had laying around on the new Kohler he has because it fits, didn't know there was a size difference until I took the old one off, don't wanna run to town for the proper oil filter and I just want to get the grass mowed.

Super Tech MP3614 is a direct replacement for the long Kohler oil filter. When there is enough room, I always go with the long version.
Technically the cross reference is to a Fram PH7575 or equivalent, Fram used to build them like all the other "wear gaurd" heavy-duty filters then they started just building them like the auto filters, so there's no reason to buy the 7575 equivalent anymore, just use a 3614 or 3600 equivalent.

An example of what Dumb Joe could do is use the old Kohler filter he had laying around on the new Kohler he has because it fits, didn't know there was a size difference until I took the old one off, don't wanna run to town for the proper oil filter and I just want to get the grass mowed.
I always touch the filter case after an oil change - they heat up quickly … think the CC LT42 could even fit a 3600 filter …

I have one in my CC LT46. 22hp, only 95 hours thus far but been a great engine and lawn mower for my not so flat 3 acres. Changed oil 3 times with Valvoline Daily Protection 10w30 and the black Kohler Filter.

Reactions: 4WD
I had a 54” for years with a Kohler Courage V2 - no issues …
Got my first single a few months back (5400 Series) - I’ll change the oil 2x a year - maybe oil filter once …
Never hurts to maintain more than less but as for there being a benefit that's another thing unless you run that machine long. Only time I'd change the oil frequently is if I had a lawn business and ran the machines at an average of 5 hours or more every day per week. Those get monthly or bi monthly maintenance. But for the majority of us who run our machines for about 8 months and for 2-4 hours each month a change every 2-3 years is fine. But i go 3 years since i use 15w-40 and that's stouter than regular oils. I've seen regular 30 grade lawnmower oils showing near CK levels of high tbn and additive on here though.

So my old mower has the kohler courage sv720. And it's bulletproof for being a residential model that doesn't get frequent oil changes. Doesn't burn any oil either. Don't know why it's considered a bad engine. The only trouble it's ever given me was just 1 starter and that's it.

So my old mower has the kohler courage sv720. And it's bulletproof for being a residential model that doesn't get frequent oil changes. Doesn't burn any oil either. Don't know why it's considered a bad engine. The only trouble it's ever given me was just 1 starter and that's it.

You have the Twin Cylinder Courage which is what it is, how many hours do you have on it? The single cylinder Courage is the 1 with issues.

You have the Twin Cylinder Courage which is what it is, how many hours do you have on it? The single cylinder Courage is the 1 with issues.
Doesn't have an hour meter but i put about 35hrs or so on it every year and it's an 06. So likely around 450-500. Change the oil every 3 years with 15w-40. Doesn't ever pour out black like in my trucks.

I got 10hrs on a new 24 hp in a ZT, works great, and oil still clear, works great. Quite a bit quieter(engine and exhaust noise)than the 24 hp Briggs. professional in my 2011 this replaced. Happy see how clean oil is staying....has not used any either.. Bros kawi in his ZT, was very ugly at 5hrs

I got 10hrs on a new 24 hp in a ZT, works great, and oil still clear, works great. Quite a bit quieter(engine and exhaust noise)than the 24 hp Briggs. professional in my 2011 this replaced. Happy see how clean oil is staying....has not used any either.. Bros kawi in his ZT, was very ugly at 5hrs
Oil in my Kawasaki was a mess at 8 hrs so I dumped it. Put in synthetic oil so far only 4 hrs on this oil but still clear.

Back