Thoughts on the Kohler 7000? (KT740)

I worked on a 2-lung kawi yesterday to no avail. 15 years old, 712 hours. Owner says the first start is rough every year. He says he gets about 2-5 years out of each coil, and there are two. Says about every 2-3 years he has to buy a new float/pin/seal for the carb or fuel spills out the weep hole. we scratched our head yesterday. To me it sounded like it lacked compression, and the spark on both coils (one brand new) looked weak. I suggested he check the flywheel magnets, and it should be checked for compression. Even during the summer, I hear them having to crank it a while to fire. I thought kawi was known for excellent engines.

I think my Yamaha inverter generator uses a 7.5 hp kawi. It has been a smooth and precise engine with zero issues. But, it’s always been babied too, with less than 100 hours on it. It’s still new.
My husqvarna riding mower has a Kawi with ~600 hours on it and it can be a bit of a pain to start sometimes. I adjusted the valves in it once before and they were VERY loose.

My ancient scag 3-wheel mower has two coil packs on the Kohler Command. It got new ones at around the ~1800 hour mark. I've only ever had the valve covers off of that motor once, and that was to change the gasket. It got a new (cheap eBay/chinese) carburetor around the same time as the coil packs. I'm convinced the hydraulics will die before the engine will.

We did pop the valve covers.... valves were spot on, just a hair of play but not loose. I was almost tempted to loosen them a smidge but resisted the urge. Neighbor just told me he was ordering new coils, as he thinks he installed used ones from his collection o’ parts.

I believe that engine has a 3 year warranty. It is very similar to the Confidant series. Both have nothing in common with the Courage series. Break in with conventional then go to M1 10w40. Nothing wrong with Rotella 10w30. I prefer a 40 weight oil however that is not gospel. Keep the air filter clean. Give it a dose of carb cleaner on occasion. Add Sta-bil to the fuel starting in mid September that way no carb problems in the spring. I recommend this "program" for any make of engine. You will like that engine as it makes torque and sounds good at idle!!

You will like that engine as it makes torque and sounds good at idle!!
I got curious about torque because the model up from this mower is also offered with a Kawasaki FR730V. The Kohler does in fact make a bit more torque at peak (41.3 ft-lbs vs 39.8, ~4% more) and quite a bit more at 3600 RPM (~38 ft-lbs vs ~35, ~8% more).

The Kohler is also 9.1:1 compression ratio, while the Kawasaki is 8.2:1. Kohler is rated at 25HP vs 24HP for the Kawasaki so it makes sense that it would make a bit more torque @ 3600 RPM.

I don't know that it's a difference I would notice, I just know that my ancient JD zero turn with a 22HP Kohler has a whole lot more power than my riding mower with an FH651V that is labeled as 21.5HP.

Kohler EFI's have treated me well.
So I'm a fan. Yes the Courage was a special brew...lol
From what I've read the single cylinder courage is prone to major issues but the twin is pretty good. I just got a 2006 cub Cadet lt1050 that came with the house we bought. Just turned 300 hours. Courage 23hp v twin. Runs awesome other than I had to replace the starter the first week.

Back