New Kohler 7000 Series 1st OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Recently acquired a new rider with a 22hp Kohler 7000 series motor. Will be doing the 1st OC soon @ about 5hrs, but might be 7 depending on how much time I have before the next mow.

Manual says to use 10w30 and recommends conventional for the first 50hrs to seat the rings, so I was going to run some Mobil Super 5000 I've had in the stash for the first couple of oil changes at about 20 - 25 hour intervals until I reach the 50 hours, then switch to some Mobil Super High Mileage, which claims it is a blend, at 50hr intervals. Manual says 100hr intervals, but I think that is too long.

Maybe I am overthinking things with this being a new toy for me, but now I am wondering if if the Super would be up to the task or if I might be better off buying some Rotella T4 10w30 or another HDEO instead with it being a small air cooled engine. Also wondering if just jumping straight to a synthetic would be that bad?

I'm hoping to get a 1000hrs out of this engine over the next 10 - 20 years. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

I have the same engine. 1st oil filter and drain plug was extremely tight. Get a oil fiter cap and a large pair of channel locks to get it removed. It was insanely overtighthened. Buy a synthetic media Fram xg3614 oil filter and they are rated for 15k automotive miles. They can easily go 100hrs since they work better partially clogged. My plan is to drain/fill every 50hrs and do the filter every 100hrs. I am pretty sure the filters can go 200 hrs which is equivalent to 6k miles(assuming an average speed of 30 mph).

Is there a Wix or Bosch equivilent filter? Thought I saw one mentioned previously that will fit.

How much oil does it take (just dont want to look it up)?

I have a new 2017 Toro with this engine and about 2 hours on it. I plan to keep the factory fill until 10 or 15 hours, then do conventional for the rest of the summer. Dealer said 25 hours for factory fill but that seems long. After that I will use QSUD, I have some 5W30 and bought some 10W30 today. It is a lawnmower... keep it full of oil at reasonable OCI it will be fine. Will probably only put 40 hours a year on it, changing oil annually.

The 10w30 HDEOs have HTHS viscosities about 3.5 cP. 10W30 PCMOs are about 3.0-3.2 cP. You can find these values on product data sheets depending on the manufacturer. Lots of people use the HDEO because it's thicker which is good for air cooled engines. I have used Rotella T5 syn blend in my 20HP Kohler Courage with no problems. Will likely go back to that once my stash of clearance syn is used up in a few years.

2years now on my series 7000 kt725 on my Scag zturn and absolutely love it. First oil change at 5 hrs and Amsoil 10W30/30 Small engine oil since factory dump never burns a drop OEM Fuel filters only. Engine Always full song at WOT no matter what load I’m putting on it.

M1 high mileage 10w-30 runs on the thick side (HTHS 3.5 mPa•s + A3/B3 rating) and claims to handle more heat and abuse than a typical 10w-30 oil. Seems to work quite well in our air cooled push mower.

What does the maintenance schedule say about the first oil change? 5 hours seems very short.

I'd run conventional out to 100 hours as Kohlers are slow to break in.
At least the three I have were. Do the first change and go another 50 hours.
No need for 20 hour changes.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I plan to keep the factory fill until 10 or 15 hours, then do conventional for the rest of the summer. Dealer said 25 hours for factory fill but that seems long.

It really isn't that long at all.

TBH, a quality straight 30 HDEO will probably provide the longest service life.

This is why I support the XG3614 oil filter with the silicone anti drain valve. This guy’s use case is for a Lexus oil filter which was under an exhaust header and had oil o-ring seepage using non-Fram products and long drain intervals. It is only one case but an interesting read.

XG3614 14K miles

I have not read any OPE cases where the air cool engine got so hot that it caused the oil filter to leak. Besides most OPE oil filters designs are not adjacent to the exhaust header. In fact, most are mounted 180 degrees from the cylinder heads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StillLearning
Hi Guys,

Recently acquired a new rider with a 22hp Kohler 7000 series motor. Will be doing the 1st OC soon @ about 5hrs, but might be 7 depending on how much time I have before the next mow.

Manual says to use 10w30 and recommends conventional for the first 50hrs to seat the rings. .

Actually , I just need to issue a friendly challenge. You mentioned the Kohler manual recommends conventional for the first 50 hrs to seat the rings. Can you show us where that statement is? Maybe that was a recommendation from the dealer or someone. The manual I read says nothing about that. It just says change your oil every 100 hrs. Not trying to be difficult
smile.gif
. Thanks.

Small engine guys tend to behind on lubrication. When using a non detergent oil in a car was a big no-no, people were arguing either they should use detergent or non detergent oils in there engines.

I used Rotella T5 10w30 syn blend for my first change on my 7000 25hp. I didn't know about the using conventional until 50hrs... hopefully syn blend is OK.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I'd run conventional out to 100 hours as Kohlers are slow to break in.
At least the three I have were. Do the first change and go another 50 hours.
No need for 20 hour changes.

Thanks for sharing. This is my first Kohler and I know why they suggested conventional dino for the 1st 50hr. Slow break-in.

Does the fast mode rpm level increase after break-in occurs? I have 23hrs on the Kohler and my fast idle mode measured with a digital tachometer was @3400 rpm.
I hate to adjust and then re-adjust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: StillLearning
Hi Guys,

Manual says to use 10w30 and recommends conventional for the first 50hrs to seat the rings. .

Actually , I just need to issue a friendly challenge. You mentioned the Kohler manual recommends conventional for the first 50 hrs to seat the rings. Can you show us where that statement is? Maybe that was a recommendation from the dealer or someone. The manual I read says nothing about that. It just says change your oil every 100 hrs. Not trying to be difficult
smile.gif
. Thanks.

That is also the case for the bigger K- EFI engines and they say that in the manual ( written)

None of mine had that issue
The biggest Kohler I have is the 33 hp ( different animal) and the mowers manual- not Kohler
says that it is fine to mow at 3000 RPM and go up from there- I usually run around 3200 rpm for many reasons
and no issues doing so. If you purchased from a dedicated mower shop- they see tons of your model and they can quickly give you the scoop. I waited to run synthetic as on start up mine was smoking on my first engine at 55 hrs with FS oil and I had to dump the oil and go back to conventional and with that change the smoking went away quickly and after one hundred plus hours I did go back to FS-no issues at all.
Exmark required a 5 hr oil change and not the filter. I did it all and next time I'd leave the filter on as it was clean
with nothing in it. Most of these new mowers have the oil filter torqued to death. I use a long socket wrench or a breaker bar with
this tool- required usually..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back