Kohler 7000 series blowing white smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kohler 7000 series KT25 . After sitting in the shed for one week, the engine blows a cloud of smoke despite shutting down on slow idle. Oil was changed at 5, 30 and 55hrs using Rotella T5 10w30 HDEO CJ4.

The Cub Cadet dealer did a compression and leak down tests.
The engine has Kohler Command 7000 Series has 63 hours.

90/90 Left Side 189
90/90 Right Side 190

What does this mean? Is it in specification? Please interpret these results for me.
Under warranty, conclusion no head gasket was needed.

On occasion, it still blows white smoke upon start-up and I smell oil fumes right after shut-down.

Last edited:
If your using fresh gas I would assume your getting to much fuel from either a bad carb float or sticking needle.

Originally Posted by spasm3
How did the plugs look?

Probably ok, no comment from the service dealer.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Used to have one that did that when it was over filled with oil.

It oil level is between the two marks.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Kohler 7000 series KT25 . After sitting in the shed for one week, the engine blows a cloud of smoke despite shutting down on slow idle. Oil was changed at 5, 30 and 55hrs using Rotella T5 10w30 HDEO CJ4.

On occasion, it still blows white smoke upon start-up and I smell oil fumes right after shut-down.

Your engine is fine. My Kohler horizontal v-twin always blew smoke when I parked it nose-down. When parked level it blew a little smoke and when parked nose-up blew no smoke on starting. Once I parked it nose-down on a steep slope, and it blew a smokescreen on startup.

Pay attention to how it's parked versus smoke.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
It's a kohler. They're made in China now.

This.

A lot of them will leak oil down into the cylinder from the cheap valve seals while sitting, causing it to smoke at start-up but still have good compression.

My Kohler Command 25hp does this on my John Deere, but it also has around 1000 hours and only started doing it the last year or so. The new engines are just put together so much cheaper.

I have a Kohler Command Pro 20 and have parked the mower downhill for 18 years. I always followed the manual and let the engine sit at idle before shutting off. I always got the startup puff of smoke in white. I started shutting my mower off at half throttle without waiting a minute and seldom see the puff of smoke. I am at 1000 hours an can't tell the puff of smoke has hurt anything.

Originally Posted by sweezy722
I have a Kohler Command Pro 20 and have parked the mower downhill for 18 years. I always followed the manual and let the engine sit at idle before shutting off. I always got the startup puff of smoke in white. I started shutting my mower off at half throttle without waiting a minute and seldom see the puff of smoke. I am at 1000 hours an can't tell the puff of smoke has hurt anything.

It won't. Many of the ones I've seen do the same thing, and most of them don't even burn enough oil to notice on the dipstick. Just the nature of the beast. Keep the oil full and it will run a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by sweezy722

It won't. Many of the ones I've seen do the same thing, and most of them don't even burn enough oil to notice on the dipstick. Just the nature of the beast. Keep the oil full and it will run a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

I am not happy "vapping" Rotella HDEO fumes every time I start the beast. My 1996 Honda Harmony never did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back