New job time!

If you think about it, that's a pretty low price. That works out to $93.75 a square foot. Around here it's more like $250 a square foot for new construction. Cost of labor must be very low in your area.
Median income in my county is $42,XXX per HOUSEHOLD.

Chris142,

USAjobs.gov has tons of jobs.

The hiring process is kind of slow but well worth the wait.

A possible obstacle in CA for getting jobs from that site is the EDD (unemployment office) requires everyone who wants to collect unemployment to fill out a profile and apply for jobs on that site. So, it's getting hit heavily.
Not saying not to use it but use a lot more things besides.

Yep. + 1000000%
Lots of people seem to be pushing the finding a job path but that way you're just working for someone else your whole life.

It's not uncommon for people to basically buy themselves a job. For instance Subway franchises work that way, they can basically be bought for 30-50k and the owner ends up making about that much a year. After a few years they can buy another one and slowly grow their income that way. They're basically not making a lot of money but guaranteeing themselves a job.

This is a tough economy and it sounds like OP is getting offers for half of what he makes. Some tough negotiations with the owner might net him his own high paying job. Usually the way to add value to a business is to grow or expand it, but if you don't have the vision or the ability to do it, then that limits the value of the business.

Wolf,

As always you give quality advice. If he has lots of experience in automotive repair then it’s best he stay in that field. He can find a better job but has to keep looking and applying if he wants to stay in current occupation.

I also agree that it’s a tough economy and the last thing he should do is ’buy himself a job’ and struggle to make it.

Sometimes a career change is good, you once mentioned that you previously worked in the IT field (I pay attention to your posts) and now in real estate. Lots of folks don’t want to get out of their comfort zone once they pass a certain age.... but with all the layoffs in the past 6 months many have no other choice than to reinvent themselves.

As for me, I’ve worked for the same company for the past 30+ years. All the benefits was definitely worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Chris, I understand your desire to stay put. I'm 69 yrs old and have only lived in 2 houses and they are just 5 miles apart. In order to do that, I've had to change with the times. The last 25 yrs are a far cry from the first 25.

Reactions: JC1
Wolf,

As always you give quality advice. If he has lots of experience in automotive repair then it’s best he stay in that field. He can find a better job but has to keep looking and applying if he wants to stay in current occupation.

I also agree that it’s a tough economy and the last thing he should do is ’buy himself a job’ and struggle to make it.

Sometimes a career change is good, you once mentioned that you previously worked in the IT field (I pay attention to your posts) and now in real estate. Lots of folks don’t want to get out of their comfort zone once they pass a certain age.... but with all the layoffs in the past 6 months many have no other choice than to reinvent themselves.

As for me, I’ve worked for the same company for the past 30+ years. All the benefits was definitely worth it in the long run.

I looked at buying a business at one point and even at this stage I wouldn't rule it out. I remember back when I was studying for my engineering degree and there was one kid in class who told me that he was just going to buy a pizza parlor once he got his degree. I thought he was nuts at the time but once he ran through the numbers with me, I thought I was nuts for not doing the same. But I wasn't into making or managing pizza parlors. Basically there's all sorts of way to buy a business, even no money down ways. There are SBA loans out there along with bank loans. Not sure how easy that money is to access now. But then there's always seller financing. Of course there's always risks in any business venture, you just have to work the ways to mitigate the risks, like delaying the start of the loan payments til after the slow season.

As I recall from the pizza parlor discussion, small business are priced in the 1x-2x earnings pricing range. He was going to buy one that spit out between 200-400k a year in earnings. The price of those were in the 200-400k range. Just needed 25% down and get a loan on the rest. Part of that 200-400k you make a year is your own labor though as you run the business. With that kind of income, you pay off the loan in a few years and you have a nice income stream after that. Most mom and pop type pizza places are somewhat stable so you'd have be a pretty bad businessman to run it into the ground after a few years. Or just unlucky.

Problem is that you live away from a big city so naturally you are limited to the jobs available.

Chris142,

Elevator repair pays well and the ones I’ve met were union with very good pay and benefits.
While there are age discrimination laws, you are typically hired in as an apprentice at a younger age than Chris is for union skilled trades.
It use to be many police and fire departments wouldn't hire and put you through the academy unless you were between 21-27 years old.

I still think Chris should call the shop Walmart has at the Applevalley DC, despite him doing the online thing. Especially if Chris has any knowledge of working on air brakes. I've talked to people where I work-UPS and a few have came from Walmart and said Walmart doesn't do body work on trailers unlike UPS.

I agree it wouldn’t hurt and talk to shop manager and email your resume.
Always a need for quality truck repairman.

Can you do a new employee referral to UPS ?

Fleet maintenance mechanics. You would have to relocate but the locations look pretty decent.

What about the Southern California Logistics Airport ?

I‘m sure you can find something there.

Well dealing with the public and customers sure can be tough, mix that with owning a business can really beat ya down. not saying buying the business or autozone isn’t a possible choice. You have to see the books expenses payroll etc to think any bit further on the business. Ideas often sound better than they look on paper it’s got to make sense.

What’s the longevity with the crane place will they be around in the next 10-15 yrs how’s their benefits retirement plan etc...?

that’s another thing as well. Owning a business is buying your own medical retirement and all the other fun stuff I know when my father had his lock business financials sometimes got tough just to make payroll and rent.

I’ll be looking for a new job soon as well since a customer cost me and a few others at my shop our jobs over a absolutely ridiculous reason luckily they let me give my notice instead of terminating me. I’m thinking of going to work for somewhere like Firestone because I have heard they give you really good training until I have money to open up my own shop. I might go work at a Parts store or something too but I’d rather be wrenching instead of selling parts.

I’ll be looking for a new job soon as well since a customer cost me and a few others at my shop our jobs over a absolutely ridiculous reason luckily they let me give my notice instead of terminating me. I’m thinking of going to work for somewhere like Firestone because I have heard they give you really good training until I have money to open up my own shop. I might go work at a Parts store or something too but I’d rather be wrenching instead of selling parts.
You need to continue to build your resume. Stick to your career track, I don’t think you’ll find parts stores to be satisfying work at all.

I’m sorry to hear of your job loss. That’s quite a change.

Personally, I think you should move to TX and apprentice with Clinebarger...but that’s just me...

Back