New H-D Twin Cam 96. What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Brad Penn msds specs the 10/40 and 20/50 motorcycle oil are different from each other and the other 20/50(car oil) is different as well.

G-man which 20/50 you running?

Can someone explain how the makeup of these oils are different.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

MSDS for Product Code 7157 Brad Penn V2 20W50 MC Oil, dated 09/14/07

Petroleum Hydrocarbon plus additives

Severely hydrotreated/hydrocracked base oils 70-80%
Synthetic hydrocarbon base oils 5-10%
Additives 5-10%
Solvent refined residual oil 1-5%

Group 1?

Someone smarter than me needs to chime in here but it's my understanding that hydrotreated/hydrocracked base oils are Group III.

The solvent refined residual oil is used as a carrier for the additives. This type of base stock is seal friendly and is very soluable so it would make an excent carrier for detergents and dispersants and keeps anti-wear additives in suspension.

Don't most motor oils use a Group I oil as a carrier for the add package?

Last edited:
Yes I agree with kballowe. The G I is bright stock usually used as a carrier to the best of my knowledge due to it's solubility properites. And I interpret severe hydrocracking as G III, maybe G II+.

Regarless of base, It is said hold it's grade very well and yield very good wear numbers. And we know M1 PCMO 15W50 is shearing to a 40 in Harleys. I would love to see a UAO from a Harley on Brad Penn. I find it interesting that if I were to guess at the component make up of M1 15W50 it would probably look a lot like the Brad Penn. Of course Exxon Mobil won't answer or provide similar details.

Like M1, Brad Penn seems to alter the base blend based on application / Grade which I guess would be a requirement for the grade part to hit the numbers.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

MSDS for Product Code 7157 Brad Penn V2 20W50 MC Oil, dated 09/14/07

Petroleum Hydrocarbon plus additives

Severely hydrotreated/hydrocracked base oils 70-80%
Synthetic hydrocarbon base oils 5-10%
Additives 5-10%
Solvent refined residual oil 1-5%

I don't use their 20w50 motorcycle oil. I use the 20w50 syn blend racing oil. I just checked the MSDS on that and it has been revised (11/12/08) since the last time I looked at it, which was early 2007. Back then there was no Group II or III mentioned, and PAO was listed specifically (like it still is in the 0w30 MSDS). Now it looks like the 20w50 racing oil could be a Group I/II/IV blend or possibly a Group I/III/IV blend, or Group I/II/III. It's hard to tell since the CAS# for Group II and Group III is the same.

As I said, I e-mailed Brad Penn back then and asked what the synthetic component in the 20w50 was. The reply I got back said it was PAO. I think I'll e-mail them again and see if that has changed.

Yeah, I am wondering about that Brad Penn oil too. Looks like good stuff. DO you know the difference between the racing 20w50 and the MC 20w50?

Originally Posted By: PT1
Yeah, I am wondering about that Brad Penn oil too. Looks like good stuff. DO you know the difference between the racing 20w50 and the MC 20w50?

The difference used to be one was a syn blend and the other (the MC oil) was not.

If you look at the specs, the 20w50 racing oil has a higher HTHS. That's why I use it instead of the MC version. The HTHS of the 20w50 racing oil is 6.2, which is the highest HTHS vis of any 20w50 I've ever seen. It even bests Amsoil's 20w50 motor cycle oil which has a HTHS of 6.02. The HTHS for the Penn Grade 1 20w50 MC oil is 5.7.

Thanks for the info G-man. I picked up some of the BP 10/40 MC oil for my TL1000 last fall but only road it 2 or 3 times before winter lock-down so it will be spring time until I get to see how it really performs.

I did notice the 10/40 is MA-2 spec and the 20/50 is just MA.

Both of the 20/50's look like a good pick for a Big Twin with no wet clutch.

Well, I just got an e-mail from someone at Brad Penn. The "synthetic" used in the base oil blend in the Penn Grade 1 20w50 is Group III.

I e-mailed him back and asked if the 0w30 was the only grade with PAO. Just got a reply: The 10w30 has PAO in it, too.

Thanks for doing the research. That falls in line with what I have read elsewhere on both counts, about 40% PAO in the 0W30 and G III in the 20W50. The wholesale guy said I could get the MC oil for about $4.00 per Qt. here (about $45 per case). None of the local dealers are carrying the MC oil so he said come direct to him. Like I said I would love to see a UOA from a Harley. I might have to break down and order a Blackstone kit. Looks like a bang for the buck champion.

Well it is $55 here for a case of 20w50..

That sounds about right: around $4.60 per quart.

Well I gave the new FLHR her first oil change tonight at just over 500 miles. I decided to go with Delvac 1300 and will do the same again in another 500 miles before switching back to 20w50 for warm weather.
cool.gif

OK, there's been several posts about Brad Penn oil for HD TC96. Perhaps I missed it but, would it be acceptable to use either the 20W50 " PENN-GRADE 1 Partial Synthetic" or the "V2 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil"?

If I wanted to purchase either, where would be the best place/lowest price, to obtain Brad Penn? No place that I know of sells it in this area(NC)?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Well it is $55 here for a case of 20w50..

That sounds about right: around $4.60 per quart.

Yeah, once my stash of 20w50 is gone I think I'll get a case & try it since the guy is only 7 miles from my house. Wish I knew about this oil 5 years ago.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

If I wanted to purchase either, where would be the best place/lowest price, to obtain Brad Penn? No place that I know of sells it in this area(NC)?

Thanks in advance.

Go on their website and call them. They will have a distributor nearby. Mine is 7 miles away. Never heard of the company either.

You can buy it here (theoilwarehouse.com)
I use the Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 20w-50 Racing Oil.

Or as PT1 said call or email them for nearby dist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back