New GT's for the Volvo S70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not want to head into my local Discount Tire in the middle of Saturday afternoon with a half flat tire for repair, but that's what we did. Car had some Yoko TRZ on for 7 years, but the S70 is a pretty heavy car for 195/60-15, so even with 5/32 left they were about done anyway. Service writer said 1.5 to 2 hours for a flat repair. How long to mount four new tires? Same wait time. Went with the GT's as the car sees about 4K miles per year these days. DT reviewers on their website rate them fairly well; Consumer Reports also. We will see. I will put up a report in six months.

Originally Posted By: AdmdeVilleneuve
Did not want to head into my local Discount Tire in the middle of Saturday afternoon with a half flat tire for repair, but that's what we did. Car had some Yoko TRZ on for 7 years, but the S70 is a pretty heavy car for 195/60-15, so even with 5/32 left they were about done anyway. Service writer said 1.5 to 2 hours for a flat repair. How long to mount four new tires? Same wait time. Went with the GT's as the car sees about 4K miles per year these days. DT reviewers on their website rate them fairly well; Consumer Reports also. We will see. I will put up a report in six months.

Link us please to the tire you purchased?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Lingdong? You'd think they could come up with a little bit better name!

If these guys can't spell "Santa" correctly ....... (rearrange the letters and you'll see how this might be a problem.)

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Lingdong? You'd think they could come up with a little bit better name!

I suspect the stateside tire dealer orders Lingdongs on purpose to offer them as a loss leader. One can also order "Achilles" brand tires, because that has such a positive connotation!

Rand's link is correct. Yes, Chinese tire per the DOT code, but the car will probably be worn out before the tires.

Well, as long as they don't get a weird "hum" at 50 to 60 mph. After the OEM's, I put on a generic mid-level set of four from Les Schwab. They were fine until the first rotation. Then I noticed a "hum" from the front around 50 mph. No balance problem; no steering wheel vibration. Looked over each tire very closely and discovered the front pair were made in China, and the rear pair (originally the front quiet pair) were made in Mexico. All other basic markings (not DOT code) on the tire were identical. Driving at least 62 mph solved the problem, and made tracking rotations easier. (Discovered a half-done rotation once when my "country code" was mixed up.) But, they had a 40K warranty and lasted 50K, much further than the recently departed Yokohamas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back