New Ford Fusion Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is buying a new ford fusion tomorrow. Its the 1.6 ecoboost. Can I use Valvoline Maxlife since it says it can be used in new and high mileage engines or should I use Motorcraft for a while? Im not letting the dealership change the oil even though its free for the first 2 years. I dont like other people doing it because they always leave oil all over my engine bay.

I'd use a full synthetic in the correct grade. Turbocharged direct-injected engines can fill an oil with fuel, and then start cooking it at 250+*F thanks to the turbo. A full synthetic will better deal with abuse like that than even a great syn-blend like Maxlife.

SO no way around full synthetic? I always lean towards blends but i dont know why. Probably price. Is there a good synblend that will do the job?

If the manual doesn't specify to use synthetic, then any synblend that meets the manufactures specifications will work just fine.

Maxlife is a good oil but probably not best for this app.
I would recommend a synthetic. If you like Valvoline, Synpower is a great oil otherwise PP or M1 in a 0wXX would probably be my pick.

We put in our bulk Motorcraft syn-blend in all vehicles unless the owner specifies synthetic or in the rare case an oil is only available in synthetic.

If I had car, I would run Motorcraft 5W20 full synthetic throughout the warranty period, then switch to Mobil 1.

Seeing as the "free" oil changes are already paid for with the purchase of the new car, why wouldn't you take advantage of it? Give the dealership a chance first, if they perform a messy job with the oil change(they probably won't) then have some words with the service manager to correct it. I would think that as you are buying a new car they would want to impress you.

The factory fill and dealership oil would all be semi-synthetic Motorcraft.

Valvoline Maxlife is in-spec, but I would recommend running Motorcraft while you continue to break in the engine. In the long run, either oil will last your car for its entire life in good quality, as both are quality semi-synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Seeing as the "free" oil changes are already paid for with the purchase of the new car, why wouldn't you take advantage of it? Give the dealership a chance first, if they perform a messy job with the oil change(they probably won't) then have some words with the service manager to correct it. I would think that as you are buying a new car they would want to impress you.

+1 This.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
The factory fill and dealership oil would all be semi-synthetic Motorcraft.

Valvoline Maxlife is in-spec, but I would recommend running Motorcraft while you continue to break in the engine. In the long run, either oil will last your car for its entire life in good quality, as both are quality semi-synthetics.

So does Ford just use regular semi-blend motorcraft as the break in oil? nothing extra or special for break in?

As for the OP I would foot the bill for syn after the free oil changes for extra security on fuel dilution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Roob on this issue. I would have them do the already paid for oil changes. Toyota is doing that in the Rav4 my daughter has. There have been no problems with any messes yet. If they did, they would clean it up as I would not leave the service bay until they did. And by them doing the work, you know the warranty is not questionable. Make them do it and be neat about it. You paid for it.

I believe that Ford uses the Motorcraft synthetic blend Oil in all their vehicles. A great oil IMO. also I would stay away from any HM oil until (hopefullyi never) the engines starts to show a reason why an HM oil is needed. Seal leaks, consumption etc. Until that happens I like to stay with factory specs. As to synthetic versus a blend, really on sale not a huge difference in price and you can go the the full recommended oil change cycle in the manual or what the oil life monitor says.

Take the free oil changes, I have 4 years from Ford but my interval is 10,000 miles (hybrid) so I let them do the 10,000 mile one but I change it half way through with a synthetic and they use their motorcraft blend. The other reason to take the free oil change is to document it for the warranty. The Motorcraft Oil is good stuff though

Last edited:
My parents get their changed at the dealer - they end up with MC Synblend 5w-30.

There is no reason to run a fully synthetic in this engine. There are numerous conventional oils that meet the recommended Ford specification.

Coolant cooled turbo, so it won't be cooking the oil like older turbocharged engines.

Let the dealer do it while it's free, then use what you want. I wouldn't use Maxlife in a new car and I'm a fan of Maxlife. It's good beater oil when you don't feel like spending the money to fix a leak on an older car.

At WalMart, the difference between Motorcraft SynBlend and, day, Mobil1, is maybe $ 7 for 5 quarts? The DI/EcoBoost engine in your Fusion does make oil choice more important than usual. While Motorcraft is a good oil, alternatives like Mobil1, Pennzoil Ultra and the new Pennzoil Platinum may be better choices. For an extra $ 14 or so per year, why not?

But I guess this should be qualified:

1) if you plan to rely on the oil life monitor, which may allow 1 year/10,000 mile OCIs, using a full synthetic is even more important.
2) and of course if you tend not to keep cars a long time, any oil meeting Ford's spec (almost any SN, conventional 5w/20) will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back