New ford Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2010, Ford will be coming out with their own diesel engine. They call it the Scorpian.

Will the Ford Diesel be better than the old International Harvester 7.3's?
05.gif

Wait and see if it has problems,nothing new is not always perfect out of the box.Ford should put the Cummins in,a proven design in line 6 that has been great since it came out in the 1960s.Their was a rumor that Caterpillar was going to build Ford's new diesel which is not true.Caterpillar is not going to build anymore truck engines,do not meet emission standards

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Wait and see if it has problems,nothing new is not always perfect out of the box.Ford should put the Cummins in,a proven design in line 6 that has been great since it came out in the 1960s.Their was a rumor that Caterpillar was going to build Ford's new diesel which is not true.Caterpillar is not going to build anymore truck engines,do not meet emission standards

Yup. CAT no longer makes truck engines. Sort of sad really, as they were very potent performers.

I think a lot of Ford guys were kind of hoping that after Chrysler went bankrupt that Ford would manage to get the Cummins contract.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Doesn't Ford own Cummins?

No.

I think a long time ago, they owned SOME SHARES of Cummins, but AFAIK, that is no longer the case.

Originally Posted By: talker
In 2010, Ford will be coming out with their own diesel engine. They call it the Scorpian.

Will the Ford Diesel be better than the old International Harvester 7.3's?
05.gif

Maybe, maybe not but I would let other people go through the troubleshooting process for Ford. The last production 7.3 was a decent engine though the HEUI is stupid. It took years to get the cornbinder engine right.

Ford owns 51% of Cummmins still

A very old MYTH. At one time a small percentage.
Do some google searching on this subject.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/28/business/ford-cummins-accord-set.html

It was 10.8% and in 1990.

I believe Cummins has since purchased those shares back.

Quote:
Ford-Cummins Accord Set
Published: Saturday, July 28, 1990

The Ford Motor Company and the Cummins Engine Company have agreed to several provisions intended to cement their new relationship, according to documents filed yesterday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Earlier this month, Ford told Cummins it could supply the diesel engines for its medium-duty trucks, and it became one of Cummins's largest investors when it received a 10.8 percent stake and a board seat in exchange for a $100 million cash infusion.

Caterpillar is not going to build anymore truck engines,do not meet emission standards

Actually CAT is supplying 15L blocks to International to use as International branded engines in the coming year.

I hate the way the Cummins inline 6 diesels sound. Give me a V8!

Originally Posted By: expat
Hasn't Ford been putting Diesel engines in European cars for Decades?

Yes in fact the 4.4 is based on a 3.6 euro engine (lion) either land rover or peugot(sp)?

The MAXX Force 15 is the new up and coming big bore. not much has been mentioned about it other than CAT is sharing some block technology with International. I haven't heard as to when it is going to be released, or any other information for that matter. There isn't any information about it on ISIS, or atleast not that I'm able to access. International won't be offering Cummins engines either as of 2010 (I hope they know what they are doing). Now of course you will be able to purchase an International chasiss With a Cummins engine until stock is depleted. There will not be any UREA on any of the trucks.

As of 2010 this is all that is going to be available.
http://www.maxxforce.com/Application/on-highway-2010

Ford bought 51% of Cummins to slow Dodge down.The 24 valve Cummins is very quiet and the Cummins can go up to a million miles before a rebuild it needs it.Plus the Cat engines are very expensive to repair if they break and have one oil line that leaks all the time.This has been fixed with the oil line issue,there is an updated kit out for 3126 Cat and my father went though this on his 2000 Freightliner Fl60 flatbed.

Ford bought 51% of Cummins to slow Dodge down.The 24 valve Cummins is very quiet and the Cummins can go up to a million miles before a rebuild it needs it.Plus the Cat engines are very expensive to repair if they break and have one oil line that leaks all the time.This has been fixed with the oil line issue,there is an updated kit out for 3126 Cat and my father went though this on his 2000 Freightliner Fl60 flatbed.

Dude, SERIOUSLY, put down the glue bottle!

Ford USED to own 10.8% of Cummins, purchased in 1990. They DO NOT own any of Cummins anymore.

Most heavy diesels are able to rack up very high mileage, this is not an "exclusive" Cummins feature.

They still do and my father got this info from great resources.The powerstroke lasts up to at least 200,000 miles.I know of one 7.3 powerstoke needed a rebuild just before 200,000 miles,it took a puke and was expensive to rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back