New Firearms Oil You Want To Try ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Are there any new firearms oils you are flirting with to use recently - or are you staying with your current favorite lube or CLP ? ... For me , I want to try Brownells Friction Defense Xtreme Gun Oil which I have heard good things about ... Close behind would be Weapon Shield and Slip 2000 EWL which I have not tried either yet (semi auto pistols).

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Mobil1 0w40 or 5w50.
Like CLP to clean bit MO after.

NO WAY! Engine oil in a gun! I bet you would use regular oil in a truck motor...maybe even Diesel oil in a motor cycle.
Oh wait, I have used Mobil 1 on all my guns for decades.
Never mind.

I have this Remmington green oil spray can,,,must be 10 yr plus....teflon on the can, it still works, makes the sks shoot just fine, amazing stuff, last a long long time.

I bought a 4 oz bottle of Corrosion X to try per a recommendation on this forum a couple of weeks ago. It got good reviews on Amazon so I thought I would try it. $9 shipped on Amazon. More of a rust preventative/CLP than oil. I've cleaned one rifle with it but haven't shot it yet.

Last edited:
There are those that favor a homebrew mixture such as :

2 parts M1 20W50 V-Twin Synthetic
2 parts Dexron VI Synthetic ATF
1 part STP Oil Treatment (blue bottle)

For store bought , 4 oz. bottle of FP-10 , Weapon Shield , M-PRO 7 , SLIP 2000 , etc. is not too terribly expensive and will last quite a long time for cleaning / lubing a couple of pistols ... For AR's you will use a bit more . Ballistol is good for cleaning and protecting but WILL gum up a semi-automatic if left in a safe too long as it is a plant based oil (they tend to get gummy if left on a firearm too long - ditto for Frog lube also a plant based oil) ... Worst thing about Ballistol is the gosh awful smell (like old gym socks !)

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Ballistol is good for cleaning and protecting but WILL gum up a semi-automatic if left in a safe too long as it is a plant based oil (they tend to get gummy if left on a firearm too long - ditto for Frog lube also a plant based oil)

I've wondered about this. Has this actually happened to anyone? I've personally used all kinds of lubes and stored firearms in safes for years (petroleum and plant based), and have never had issues with lubes gumming up....or any issues ever - provided there was *some* lube present (of course, I'm not shooting 1000's of rounds in the Arctic or the middle east sandbox). I even mixed up a batch of 50/50 Frog Lube and Castrol 0W-40 in an open glass dish for kicks and giggles since they warn not to mix with petroleum. It's been sitting in my garage in open air for a year now. The result? Green oil. It looks and feels like I mixed it up yesterday. Zero "gumminess". This is only my experience and can't vouch for anyone else's, of course. Personally, like motor oils, I generally use an assortment of oils/cleaners that I find good deals on.

Next up on the list is a bottle of Hoppes "Gun Medic" I picked up for a buck. Previous was a dinky bottle of Otis CLP.

Originally Posted by LotI
There are no new firearms lubes, just new firearm lubes marketing.

^^^ THIS

*Ballistol separated on me in a needle oiler and turned gummy (stored inside house) . Also reports on semi - autos with gummed up actions after being stored in a safe . I would use Ballistol to clean and protect but not to lube critical semi - auto areas such as slides or sears .
Originally Posted by 28oz
Ballistol is good for cleaning and protecting but WILL gum up a semi-automatic if left in a safe too long as it is a plant based oil (they tend to get gummy if left on a firearm too long - ditto for Frog lube also a plant based oil)

I've wondered about this. Has this actually happened to anyone? I've personally used all kinds of lubes and stored firearms in safes for years (petroleum and plant based), and have never had issues with lubes gumming up....or any issues ever - provided there was *some* lube present (of course, I'm not shooting 1000's of rounds in the Arctic or the middle east sandbox). I even mixed up a batch of 50/50 Frog Lube and Castrol 0W-40 in an open glass dish for kicks and giggles since they warn not to mix with petroleum. It's been sitting in my garage in open air for a year now. The result? Green oil. It looks and feels like I mixed it up yesterday. Zero "gumminess". This is only my experience and can't vouch for anyone else's, of course. Personally, like motor oils, I generally use an assortment of oils/cleaners that I find good deals on.

Next up on the list is a bottle of Hoppes "Gun Medic" I picked up for a buck. Previous was a dinky bottle of Otis CLP.

*Ballistol separated on me in a needle oiler and turned gummy (stored inside house) . Also reports on semi - autos with gummed up actions after being stored in a safe . I would use Ballistol to clean and protect but not to lube critical semi - auto areas such as slides or sears .
Originally Posted by 28oz

Where did you find Ballistol in a needle oiler? I'm guessing you transferred it from another container.
Some products removed from their original containers exhibit chemical atrophy when oxygenated - then re-sealed from oxygen again.

That could explain why Ballistol is not sold in needle oilers.

Here's what I use these days:
Gun oil: I use FP-10 Lubricant Elite. Perhaps not as good as Weapon Shield, but close and less expensive. Certainly much cheaper than Gun Butter, which I have found very nice ... but ridiculously priced.
CLP: My choice is G96 Complete Gun Treatment. I also keep some liquid Ballistol around as a decent light cleaner on almost anything: metals, wood, leather, rubber. Not a miracle product, but very handy.
Grease: I keep two types around. One is a light, creamy grease for contact of moving or potentially wearing/galling parts. I keep a tacker grease for choke tubes. My two choices of late are Millcomm TW25B for the light product and Shooters Choice All Weather High Tech Grease for the tackier/heavier product. I suspect in the future I'll switch to Lubriplate for the lighter product.
Bore Solvent: Bores on what I shoot most -- smoothbore shotguns, .22LR pistols and rifles and centerfire handguns -- aren't at all complicated or difficult to clean, IMO. A properly sized bronze phosphor bore brush that gives good, consistent bore contact is more important, IMO. On shotguns, I actually use WD-40 with the pipes off the guns. It's the only place I use WD-40 on guns for the simple fact it's cheap, it works, it's a non-critical application, and I can remove nearly 100 percent of what I put in. For .22s and centerfire bores, I generally just use either G96 or Ballistol. Again, on bores, I leave 'em right next door to dry. My final patch on a bore is lightly dampened G96.
Solvent, other than bores: I like either MPro 7 or Hoppe's Elite. Light, clear and odorless or nearly so, works well and quickly, non-toxic.
My mantra is pretty much clean it after you shoot it, lube lightly and replace your lubes each time you clean or for the first trip out if the gun's been unused and in the safe for quite a while.
I do occasionally run an AR-15 (Colt LE6920) and G96 has done just fine. I'm not a high-volume user on that gun, though, and not making any "miracle" claims for G96.
I also think some compressed air, Q-tips and pipe cleaners are my friends when it comes to gun maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back