New filter for old honda cars too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like Honda changed the oil filter on most of its cars in 2003. If you lookup these two cars - '99 Honda Accord 2.3L and '01 Acura MDX and the same cars for 2003 you will see what I mean. Both are quite different filters. Different height and different relief valve psi.
My question is - does Honda also maintain two differnt filters then ? If I were to go to honda dealership would they be stocking different oil filters ? If not, then does it mean they must be using the newer oil filter for the older car and I should be doing the same as well ?
Please advise.
Thanks.

Yeah, the new lemon-sized filter was back-speced. I use the new one on the 1998 CRV, but prefer the old baseball-sized one, even on our new Accord.

Honda does stock more than one filter, but I do not know if they stock two different ones for those applications. I know for example the Honda Pilot and most Honda/Acuras use different oil filters when cross-referenced using Wix. (1334 vs. 1356) and the S2000 (1334 Wix) uses a different filter from Honda than the standard Honda PLM-A02, as does the NSX (1376). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1334 or the 1356 should work just fine interchangeably for most Honda applications... on Wix's filter-lookup, the '99 Accord and '01 MDX use the same oil filter (1334).

ok I called the dealers. Apparently there is one and only one filter that honda uses across the board - 15400-PLM-A02. Whether its a 1999 or 2003 or a Honda or an Acura, they all use the exact same part#.

Any aftermarket cross reference will give you two different numbers. Here's two examples of WIX and Purolator -

51334/51356
14559/14610

Which one would be the best choice ?

Using the Summit oil filter cutting tool, I cut open the old style filter (Wix 51334) and the new style (Wix 51356). To my 58 year old eyes, the filter element looks to be the same in both. I could not tell a difference. Sorry, no pictures as this was sometime last year.

Wix lists the same 8-11 lb. bypass for both. The only spec that is different is the higher burst presure on the 51356, 363 lbs, vs. the 51334 burst pressure of 280 lbs.

I think that the older stlye filter might hold just a few ounces more oil, not enough to make a difference.

Which one is the best choice for you vehicle? I don't claim to have as much knowledge as the engineers at Honda R&D, but Honda must have changed to the smaller filter for a reason.

Use which filter lets you sleep better at night.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Most Hondas will take the oversized Purolator L-20073 thats the same exact size as the Motorcraft FL-400 filter

Isn't the FL-400 a different thread size? Or are you just saying the size of the filter is the same but the L-20073 is not the equivalent of the FL-400?

When I had the Civic I went around looking for the L-20073 and never was able to find one. The Maxima uses the same sized thread filter which works out for me since I have a bunch of Pureones I intended to use on the Civic. There doesn't seem like much space though for an oversized filter. Might see if one of the two 24458s I have fit in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back