Where are you purchasing Honda genuine filters?

Hondaautomotiveparts.com - dealer in RI, good prices, accurate picks, good packaging, ship quickly, good service if they make an error. I like that I can order on weekend and have by Thursday everytime.

Hondapartsnow.com will come from a number of Honda dealers, I got stuff from across town, Florida, Texas.

I stick with Honda filters in 5yr/60k miles engine warranty.

I have been using Bosch 3323 filters after warranty but they have shifted from US made to Mexico made since Mann bought out Puralator. i have cut open several of the US made Bosch.

Fram XG7317 is a good filter too.

Before you do the filter on the Ody, check to make sure your preferred filter cap/socket and wrench will actually fit between the frame crossmember and the filter. It is very tight on our 19 Pilot which is a close cousin to Ody. I had to change to the low profile cap/socket that Honda sells paired with a ratcheting box end wrench (Gearwrench type) to fit in the space. Cover the frame crossmember completely with a tshirt or plastic bag to make clean up easier. I actually put a medical vomit bag (emesis bag I think is the proper name) over the filter to contain the spill. The filter is angled and likes to spill oil on the belt and balancer.

Thats all the tips I can remember.

I used to buy the Honda filters on ebay since they came with the drain plug washers too. Now the Hondas I service in my family all have Fumoto valves, so it's easier to just buy a TG7317 or PH7317 which look nearly identical inside to the Honda filters. The Honda filters are good, but only worthwhile over a Fram if you can find a good deal online and need the drain plug crush washers. My local Honda dealer was not competitive with pricing.

As far as warranty, owned many Hondas never a concern about using an aftermarket filter. MM Warranty Act backs that call.
The wrinkle there is if an aftermarket oil filter is proven to have caused engine damage or failure, the vehicle manufacturer will tell you to make a claim with the aftermarket oil filter manufacture instead of covering it under the vehicle's warranty. The Magnuson-Moss act just says they can't deny warranty on the whole vehicle if you use aftermarket parts.

The wrinkle there is if an aftermarket oil filter is proven to have caused engine damage or failure, the vehicle manufacturer will tell you to make a claim with the aftermarket oil filter manufacture instead of covering it under the vehicle's warranty. The Magnuson-Moss act just says they can't deny warranty on the whole vehicle if you use aftermarket parts.
Yes, that's for use of any aftermarket filter. However, it is the vehicle manufacturer that "must prove" the aftermarket filter is the product at fault in any failure. That said, I'm well aware 'all' the ligation factors involved in that statement.

So as noted, MMWA does back the decision to use aftermarket filters. The contingencies involved have never scared me. I won't be changing my aftermarket oil filter use practices, under vehicle warranty or otherwise. ~Five decades of diy aftermarket oil filter use experience go with that.

Last edited:
I would not buy oil filters from Amazon or any car parts really, there is a lot of counterfeits out there.
I suppose this might have some element of truth, but along with family and friends have purchased hundreds of parts from Amazon. Here or there you might get the wrong part, but never has anyone caught them selling counterfeit parts. Especially in the case of oil and oil filters. They are so inexpensive, and we are generally buying known brands, that it would barely make sense for someone to counterfeit them.

There is a similar, perhaps conflating issue concerning parts that you get from Amazon because of price, but they are from no-name, Chinese companies. Most recently had an issue with some transmission sensors. In those cases, quality is an issue and that's a place to watch purchases carefully, but on the main, Amazon is fantastic for the shadetree mechanic.

If you have some close by, call around and check your local dealer(s) price first. I see Honda list/msrp now up to $9.36, imo should never pay more than that, preferable significantly less. Keep in mind when you buy from the Honda parts sites, you have to consider and add in shipping costs. That means buying at least lots of 6 to mitigate shipping costs. I see Amazon asking $12.20, WM $12.97. lol Perhaps in minority but I would buy and trust an A02 directly from Amazon, not third party seller. That said, except on very rare dealer service, never use them. As far as warranty, owned many Hondas never a concern about using an aftermarket filter. MM Warranty Act backs that call.

Ebay used to have A02 and crush washers in package deals. Don't know if still true.

Lastly, before paying $12.97 for A02 at WM, I'd go straight to the Fram Endurance shelf and buy an FE7317 for the same money. And if you chose to follow the Honda 2 MM oil change, fci, could still do so with total confidence. My .02
All facts. While there are a few very specific cases where I would want Honda OEM stuff (rear wad differential fluid, transmission fluid) my experience includes many Honda and Acura cars running hundreds of thousands of miles never seeing OEM filters, oils etc. (except for when brand new)

Yes, that's for use of any aftermarket filter. However, it is the vehicle manufacturer that "must prove" the aftermarket filter is the product at fault in any failure. That said, I'm well aware 'all' the ligation factors involved in that statement.
Not all people know the ins and outs of the MMWA, and some think it will make the vehicle manufacturer cover anything if aftermarket parts are used, but that's not true ... you know that, but seems not everyone does and my comment was for all to know.

Yes, I mentioned it would have to be proven that it caused the damage/failure for the car maker to deny warranty. But we all know how some dealerships operate ... their "proof" isn't always real proof. If the damage was caused by the aftermarket filter, the vehicle manufacturer will tell you to make a claim with the filter maker - example: the case when the ADBV was pushed out the filter and into the engine which destroyed the engine, which was ultimately covered by the filter maker.

So as noted, MMWA does back the decision to use aftermarket filters. The contingencies involved have never scared me. I won't be changing my aftermarket oil filter use practices, under vehicle warranty or otherwise. ~Five decades of diy aftermarket oil filter use experience go with that.
Sure the risk is low, and using an aftermarket filter that has a warranty that says they will pay for damaged caused by the filter is better than using some off brand filter that may not have any kind of warranty to back it up in case of engine damage from use.

Here or there you might get the wrong part, but never has anyone caught them selling counterfeit parts. Especially in the case of oil and oil filters. They are so inexpensive, and we are generally buying known brands, that it would barely make sense for someone to counterfeit them.
There are a lot of counterfeit oil filters out there. Most of them are counterfeits of OEM filters, like Honda, Toyota, etc.

Not all people know the ins and outs of the MMWA.....
That's the benefit of reading forum like this, for those not aware, now for fact know who exactly MMWA says the onus is on to prove the failure. As my disclaimer clearly noted, I'm well aware of any litigation factors involved with that thought. Others reading this should be now too.

Bottom line here and related to specific topic, I have no trepidation about using an aftermarket filter in place of topic A02 (or any oem) either in or out of warranty. MMWA is there as a backstop to that statement as accurately noted. What others choose to do after being fully informed, their call.

That's the benefit of reading forum like this, for those not aware, now for fact know who exactly MMWA says the onus is on to prove the failure. As my disclaimer clearly noted, I'm well aware of any litigation factors involved with that thought. Others reading this should be now too.

Bottom line here and related to specific topic, I have no trepidation about using an aftermarket filter in place of topic A02 (or any oem) either in or out of warranty. MMWA is there as a backstop to that statement as accurately noted. What others choose to do after being fully informed, their call.
The point I'm making for all to read is that the MMWA is not a guarantee that the vehicle manufacture will warranty anything caused by an aftermarket part. That's the clinger that most people don't understand, until it bites them first hand. I don't care what other people do with their vehicles, just pointing out the facts about the MMWA, which basically just says a vehicle manufacture can not deny or cancel warranty on the whole vehicle because someone didn't use OEM parts. But that's as far as it goes. And using aftermarket filters when out of warranty is moot anyway ... all you have then is the warranty the filter maker provides.

Last edited:
RE the MMWA - Note that the referenced requirements have a lot to do with the prohibition on "tie in sales" and say that the manufacturer cannot require use of a specific part as a condition of warranty unless that part is provided without cost.

So - though I have never heard of it yet - it only takes one sufficiently slimy dealer/manufacturer/CEO to take the stance that when you get "Free" maintenance they CAN require a specific product. Its arguable that it would have to be written into the warranty though.

It should also be noted that not even the Federal Govt is fully behind the MMWA at this point as they required HD to do precisely what the MMWA says they cannot do by way of a Consent Order.

A Goggle search will show the same basic results as this.

1695425219588.jpeg

Need to change the oil on our new odyssey soon and wondering if anyone buys their Honda filters from Amazon, or is it too risky? Would like to buy 5-6 plush drain plug gaskets at the same time, but afraid they wouldn’t be genuine.

Is there another reliable source or is it best just to go to the local dealer?

I tried searching but mainly came up with debates about how Honda filters are just mediocre…nothing about where to purchase them. I’ll be using Honda filters at least till I’m out of warranty.
I bought a pack of 6 A02 filters from oempartsource.com in July 2022. Was $35.76 ($5.96 a piece). With shipping it was 47.31.

But they apparently are not in business anymore

Need to change the oil on our new odyssey soon and wondering if anyone buys their Honda filters from Amazon, or is it too risky? Would like to buy 5-6 plush drain plug gaskets at the same time, but afraid they wouldn’t be genuine.

Is there another reliable source or is it best just to go to the local dealer?

I tried searching but mainly came up with debates about how Honda filters are just mediocre…nothing about where to purchase them. I’ll be using Honda filters at least till I’m out of warranty.
For what it’s worth, I am using the Full brand oil filter purchased at NAPA for about half price of the oem Honda filter on my Ridgeline.

Back