New Craftsman lawnmover-Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry for the post since I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times on this forum, however my "search skills" did not allow me to find my answer!!

With that said, my issue is that I just pruchased a new Craftsman lawnmower (Briggs and Straton) and would appreciate any oil advice.

The manual states that the use of a multi-grade oil will cause a consuption of oil if used under 32 degrees. I will never operate the mower in tempetures less that 50 to 60 degrees (California). Any suggetions?

Thanks again

I have always used whatever brand name straight 30w is on sale. This Summer Trop-Arctic 30w SL went into the mower. If you want to run premium synthetic check out ASE...and yes they will send you a single quart if that is all you need. I recently ordered some of this when I ordered XLT for my buddy's car. It's sitting in the oil closet looking pretty. Can't wait to run it next year. I plan on doing an analysis. By the way, it is a straight weight synthetic but so stout it actually meets 10w30 specs!...I am thinking this stuff is a beast...friction won't come around nah mean!...too scared...also ASE has extra additives specially formulated for small engines. Also make sure to follow proper break-in procedure of the new Briggs...Happy Mowing!

cheers.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Any name brand SAE 30 will do the job nicely. I like Chevron and, like Camu, wait for a sale and buy a case. I've never seen the point of using pricey synthetics in junk engines, but that's just me.

I had a half of a quart left over of shell rotella T 5w40 synthetic, I used that.

But, if I did happen to have a half a quart of no name 15w40 oil, I would have used that as well.

Bottom line is pretty much any oil. I would prefer a diesel spec oil, or a SAE 30.

Straight Delo 400 30 wt. or 15w/40 or any oil that is left over from car oil changes. Dump the oil once or twice a year and the chassis will crack or rot before the engine wears out.

Quote:

I'm sorry for the post since I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times on this forum, however my "search skills" did not allow me to find my answer!!

With that said, my issue is that I just pruchased a new Craftsman lawnmower (Briggs and Straton) and would appreciate any oil advice.

The manual states that the use of a multi-grade oil will cause a consuption of oil if used under 32 degrees. I will never operate the mower in tempetures less that 50 to 60 degrees (California). Any suggetions?

Thanks again

Check that engine manual again. It should state that consumption can be expected if you use regular multigrade oil at temperatures above 80. It should also state that engine damage may occur if straight 30 weight is used below 40 degrees. Further, it should state that synthetic 5W30 oil is the number 1 recommendation for use between 20 below 0 and 120 degrees. This is from the Briggs and Stratton website, and they sell synthetic under their own brand name.

New Craftsman mowers are sold with a bottle of initial fill oil. If it was put together already, they more than likely used the bottle that came in the box.
Initial fill oil that Briggs ships is 30wt. detergent oil.

They specify "5/10w-30 synthetic oil" throughout the temp. range. 5/10w-30 mineral oil is specified for temps from 0-40F, and 30wt from 40F and up.
They do warn about multi-grade consumption in ambient temps over 40F, and hard-starting and possible bore damage with straight wts. under 40F.

I think it is pretty obvious that little yard mowing takes place in less than 40F temps. So either a synthetic multi-grade 30, or a straight 30 mineral should be used.

Quote:

Try castrol syntec 0w30
American or German

I'm using GC in all my OPE stuff
It works great!
The air cooled engines that run hot and hard are probably the only ones I have that really benefit from the superb properties of GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back