Friend needs a NON-self propelled lawnmower

I bought a 2018 Craftsman "Pro series" self propelled new that i've used for 3 years, sat for 2 years. I think I paid around $250 back then. It has some sort of B&S engine. After sitting 2 years it fired right up this spring. I'm treating it like gold now. Tell your friend to get self propelled, there is no reason to struggle because the steps are enough effort.

View attachment 172667
Did the model start with 247 or 917?

If you want a good lawn mower get a Toro. It's just a well built lawn mower. Significantly better than an Ariens or Husqvarna or Craftsman, etc.

When I am too old to use the Toro I will get a robot lawn mower.

Last edited:
He had a self propelled and didn't like it. He can push faster than it will drive.
Is he a jogger? If so, he needs one of these…in 5th gear he’ll have to run to keep up with it!

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 9
Alright, first of all, thank you all for your suggestions. He went with a Cub Cadet. He ordered one with a Kohler but got a Briggs somehow. He is going to stick with it. He is not going to change his mind.

Alright, first of all, thank you all for your suggestions. He went with a Cub Cadet. He ordered one with a Kohler but got a Briggs somehow. He is going to stick with it. He is not going to change his mind.
We got a CC in 2020 and have enjoyed it. Starts first pull, wife likes mowing with it. We also enjoy being able to stop for a break and not having to wait 3-4 hrs to restart. New plug every year, and away it goes. We always run E0 gas. Currently have PUP 10w30 in it.

We got this mower because I was tired of fighting with our old mowers every year (new carb required lol). So far it has not disappointed. First new mower ever.

My father in law says the same thing.

I have a couple of self propelled mowers and a couple of push ones. My 3-speed Lawn Boy in 3rd gear will pull me around the yard-I get winded trying to keep up with it(the single speed of the same generation I've been known to crank up the governor partially to get ground speed a little higher). I THINK that commercial Toros still use a similar 3 speed-it may be the same one for all I know-but that's probably more than your friend wants to spend.

I've used Toro Personal Pace mowers and I've used Hondas with the thumb twiddle. I'm not a huge fan of the latter, but both can move at a pretty good clip if you wind them out.

Aside from that, there's nothing that says you have to use the self propel drive.
I’m happy to see that there is someone else that isn’t impressed by the Honda thumb control. The Honda has a plastic liner in the rear of the mower deck underneath. It has distorted several times to the point that the blade(s) is striking it making a knocking noise. Unfortunately the Toro Personal Pace mowers were not available during the height of the pandemic so Honda was what I picked. Stupid move on my part. I’m either pushing it or chasing it. Forget about it being self propelled if the grass is the slightest bit damp. Those childlike plastic toy wheels have zero traction. So it becomes a push mower that is very heavy. Do you want to know how I really feel???

Back