New Claims from Pennzoil - Ultra vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I was wondering the same. M1 has been known to do exceptionally well at keeping engine rings clean. But all of these companies have scientists capable of making great oils so maybe Shell just put together a slightly better formulation.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: buster
... No oil – not even Mobil 1 – keeps an engine closer to factory clean than Pennzoil Ultra(3).... When it comes to pistons, the most difficult part of your engine to keep clean, Pennzoil Ultra keeps pistons up to 25 percent cleaner than Mobil 1(4).

I have never seen a sludged engine, stuck ring, or carboned valve stem in an engine that ran Mobil 1. How much cleaner than clean does this product make things?

The test this is based is brutal compared to typical usage and that's when big differences show up most.

M1 is the 800 lb gorilla in syn labeled oil.
How do you take on such a dominant player?
You build a superior product, price it agressively and spend heavily on product promotion and advertising.
PP has always been regarded as a solid oil, and PU is probably an even better product.
SOPUS offers generous MIR promotions on a regular basis.
SOPUS has also been very open about the basestocks used in these oils. You don't have to guess at what they might have used in formulating the oils.
They'll tell you.
I've used plenty of M1 over the years, and I've used plenty of PP since '06 or so.
The UOAs we've seen here show that either Pennzoil product holds up as well as M1 in use, and will allow fairly long drains, even though Pennzoil does not promote either oil as a long drain product.
Objectively, the two Pennzoil syns are every bit the equal of M1,something that can't be said of Syntec, Synpower or G-Oil.

Originally Posted By: JAG
... No oil – not even Mobil 1 – keeps an engine closer to factory clean than Pennzoil Ultra(3).... When it comes to pistons, the most difficult part of your engine to keep clean, Pennzoil Ultra keeps pistons up to 25 percent cleaner than Mobil 1(4).

I have never seen a sludged engine, stuck ring, or carboned valve stem in an engine that ran Mobil 1. How much cleaner than clean does this product make things?

The test this is based is brutal compared to typical usage and that's when big differences show up most.

True.

Originally Posted By: JAG

Exactly.

In the real world there is no advantage.

LOL

Yeah I guess so.

Still no PDS.

Not the new one but there is one.

Interesting that there is a new formulation already. This one going to be dexos1 and made from GTL?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, Ultra just got a makeover?

What adjective goes after "hyper"? They should be using that now.

"Ludicrous Cleansing Technology".........anyone ever see Spaceballs? Haha!

If it had Ludicrous Cleansing Technology, would the bottle be plaid?

i started using penzoil ultra when truck was new last jan. i will let you know if if this is all hype in about six years when i'm pushing about 200000 miles on the odo. used m1 for about 25 years. not using it since imho m1 products do not seem to have the quality they had before they merged with exxon. specifically their axle lubes.

Well my observations on this are:

1. Why M1 and not M1 EP?

2. Why only 5w30? I assume because it is the most popular grade?

3. Interesting that they state UP TO 25% cleaner. Meaning they likely ran the test a significant number of times, one of them was 25% better, hence the "up to".

4. If factory clean is 0 and fully bunged up is 1000, fail for this test is 500 and Mobil 1 scored 20, that means PU scored 16. The closer to 0 you get here, the less significant the results become.

Curious to see if the new formulation will be labeled differently from the previous or we just have to check the date codes.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, Ultra just got a makeover?

What adjective goes after "hyper"? They should be using that now.

"Ludicrous Cleansing Technology".........anyone ever see Spaceballs? Haha!

If it had Ludicrous Cleansing Technology, would the bottle be plaid?

I thought plaid was actually faster than ludicrous? The only thing with plaid is that it might get confused with the scottish guy and his dipstick!

First it was Amsoil. Then Valvoline and Castrol after that. Now, Pennzoil seems to have a need to compare itself to Mobil 1. I guess M1 is the worlds standard for synthetic engine oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
First it was Amsoil. Then Valvoline and Castrol after that. Now, Pennzoil seems to have a need to compare itself to Mobil 1. I guess M1 is the worlds standard for synthetic engine oil.

No, they are just the easiest synthetic to beat in tests that is well known.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

In fact all of these oils are very good products, but what you said is interesting and I guess you can back that up with all of the results from these test? Right.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

Not the MRV of their 0w20...and the MRV of their 0w30 is pretty tough to beat as well.

I think that is pretty much what they try to say in there adds isn't it? Probably also the general concensus outside of BITOG as well and definitley has to be the most well know single brand of engine oil worldwide.

Super clean but not available at local stores, what good is it ?
Just came back from Walmart, no a single quart bottle nor 5-qt jug of any grade PU is on the shelf. PP has few quarts and few jugs, PYB and QS are plenty.

The 3.9 in the Van is an automobile engine, not a dinner plate or ER operating room... it doesn't have to be "clean as a whistle".
21.gif

The granddaughters don't play in it, I don't live in it and the family doesn't eat off it. The inside of my engine can do just fine with a little crud in it.
Nobody will pull the oilpan off when the van is at the wreckers at the end of it's life to see if I kept it "25% cleaner than Mobil1".....
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back