New Claims from Pennzoil - Ultra vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: tig1
First it was Amsoil. Then Valvoline and Castrol after that. Now, Pennzoil seems to have a need to compare itself to Mobil 1. I guess M1 is the worlds standard for synthetic engine oil.

No, they are just the easiest synthetic to beat in tests that is well known.

You got to admit that's a pretty funny comeback.

This whole word thing is funny, like jumbo shrimp, extra large boner, ludicrously cleansing, office bison, slippery clean....

Might as well start running 1 quart dawn dish soap with each oci. Will get rid of all those stuck on deposits, and then a jetdry tab to keep the water spots off.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
SOPUS failed to learn their marketing lesson:

Super Duper Clean < 15,000 mile OCI

LOL true.

Shell or Pennzoil is a company that can compete very well with XOM. Mobil 1 has a giant target on it's back and with demand increasing for synthetics, it's just common sense more companies will be comparing themselves to M1.

Originally Posted By: buster

LOL true.

Shell or Pennzoil is a company that can compete very well with XOM. Mobil 1 has a giant target on it's back and with demand increasing for synthetics, it's just common sense more companies will be comparing themselves to M1.

No doubt about it. As you can see in my sig, I use both. At this point in the development of the products, they're both so good, it's all about the marketing. My point was simply that Shell's "clean" campaign simply doesn't create as much interest among the enthusiasts who pay more for synthetic as the encouragement for longer OCIs that XOM has focused on. As the posts in this thread indicate--especially with the top retailer, WalMart, Shell is behind on shelf space which means they're losing the marketing war.

Most of driving public wants only M1 if they pay for synthetic oil change. My indy told me that most don't care which conventional he uses, but they all demand M1 when they pay for synthetic oil change.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
So when is Ultra going to come out with 0W-40, 0W-30 and 0W-20?

Called them today to ask and he said they have no plans to make a 0w20. I'd like to think he is wrong.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
So when is Ultra going to come out with 0W-40, 0W-30 and 0W-20?

Called them today to ask and he said they have no plans to make a 0w20. I'd like to think he is wrong.

If enough people start buying 0W-20 oil's then they might change there minds.

I saw the back of a bottle of ultra that was dated aug 11. It said it met honda HT-06 and all the new requirments but had the old label and was still SM.

There was however 2 5qt jugs of ultra dated march 2010.... might have to go back and buy that since its loaded with boron and moly compared to ultra now.

The reality is, the vast majority of people do not care about oil like we do. Pennzoil probably has not real reason to rush anything out if demand is not there and apparently it's not. That or they are just slow and inefficient.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure 'cleanliness' was on my list of concerns for my oil. I assume any major brand oil will keep my engine clean enough. Maybe I am wrong.

robert

I think touting super extended drains is a losing business proposition. It's akin to McDonalds trying to market a meal that will keep you full for a week. How are they going to make money off you if you start buying their product less frequently?

SOPUS makes most of their money from Jiffy Lube where they want you back every 3 months or 3K miles.

Shell/Pennzoil is not a fan of extended drain intervals. That's a negative in my book.

At least Mobil is promoting extended drain intervals with EP.

Buster, and to meet that greater demand for synthetic base stocks, Exxon Chemical has announced a new facility at the complex here in Baytown to increase their manufacturing capacity. It's about two miles from my house. I'll be on the alert for friends and acquaintences that might know something about the chemistry involved. Trouble is, at my age, most of the insiders I know are retiring! Stay tuned...........

Originally Posted By: troberts
Buster, and to meet that greater demand for synthetic base stocks, Exxon Chemical has announced a new facility at the complex here in Baytown to increase their manufacturing capacity. It's about two miles from my house. I'll be on the alert for friends and acquaintences that might know something about the chemistry involved.

I believe the Baytown plant is Exxon Mobil Chemical's. I know they do Halobutyl manufacturing at that location and they have done considerable work on methane to acetylene, methanol, lubricating oil, and gasoline.

If they come out with 0w30, I'll buy it. Otherwise, stop boring me with the same old viscosities that you can't find anywhere.

Two out of 3 nearby WM's have PU in both quarts and jugs. The one doesn't have PU get more than 1/2 of shelf space for PYB and Castrol GTX, a little less space for Mobil, very little space for PP, QS ... But it has a good shelf space near battery racks and Tire&Lube cashier for Mobil 1 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back