New Claims from Pennzoil - Ultra vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: tig1
First it was Amsoil. Then Valvoline and Castrol after that. Now, Pennzoil seems to have a need to compare itself to Mobil 1. I guess M1 is the worlds standard for synthetic engine oil.

No, they are just the easiest synthetic to beat in tests that is well known.

?

Interesting remark..... I do believe this is the FIRST by ANY of Mobil's competitors to claim superior cleanliness to Mobil 1.

And Valvoline/Castrol both went after one SPECIFIC test: Seq IVA.

No single oil is going to dominate all aspects of performance. So, you choose the one your oil excels at, or you catch your competition with their pants down (seq IVA.... claims that were later not supported by the API... ahem Ashland and BP....) and you market the living heck out of it to pump up your products image.

Be it an exploit of your competitors folly (Ashland/BP) or the ability for your product to excel in a certain area like piston cleanliness (SOPUS), you make the most out of it, particularly when your target is the largest market share holder (Mobil) in the segment.

Nobody is going to give a rat's [censored] if PU is better than Valvoline. As Tig stated, Mobil 1 is the "benchmark" for synthetic lubes in terms of consumer perception. If it weren't, it wouldn't dominate synthetic oil sales.... Which it does. So it is the logical choice for companies to attempt to "one up" through marketing like this. And I say marketing because as I said earlier, if Mobil 1 scores exceptional on this test already, like 10 and PP scores 8, the 25% claim is honest, but the benefit of 25% cleaner than something that is already spotless.... We are at the point of severely diminished returns here.

And at least SOPUS's approach, albeit vague, has been more "ethical" than that of its competitors.

Originally Posted By: webfors
If they come out with 0w30, I'll buy it. Otherwise, stop boring me with the same old viscosities that you can't find anywhere.

You mean there already are enough 5w-30 synthetics on the market? I thought there was room for at least a dozen more.
wink.gif

Mobil 1 is marketed the most, there for, is the most well known by consumers. If I owned an oil that I knew would beat M1 in a certain aspect, I would surely make it known and use it in the marketing of my oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If there's one positive attribute of Pennzoil over Mobil 1 is that Pennzoil actually LUBRICATES the engine!!
48.gif
lol.gif

Man, these threads to you are like spinach for Popeye! LOL

I also use Mobil 1 and PP.. Though, it really is hard to beat PP in every day use especially for $18.75 at Walmart. Probably the best oil for the price...

I bought the last 5 qt container (5w30) today at local Walmart for $27.xx.Just missed the $5 off whch expired on 12/31.Still a fair price-same as M1.My low mileage '94 Crown Vic will be happy.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Could this have anything to do with the new Qatar plant i've heard so much about?

VOA would be interesting.

Project Pearl? GTL base stocks? I heard they're clean, but thought they'd been in use for some time.

I think SOPUS is asleep at the wheel, and I'm a big fan of Pennzoil products. I mean how long is M1 0W20 and 0W30 on the shelves? I've never seen anything from Pennzoil in 0w-xx. I realize PP 0w20 has been out, but who sells it in the NY metro area? 0W30 in their line-up doesn't even exist! WAKE UP SOPUS!!!!!!!!

I will keep buying Mobil 1 products because I know it is a very good oil and I can find it at Walmart. I will not drive all over to look for Ultra... Mobil 1 is good enough for me.

Does anyone know just how much of the synthetic motor oil market M1 has? My guess is that it is over 70% (I think I read somewhere that it was something over 80% several years back). 800lb gorilla is an understatement! Who else would anybody attack if they were trying to get a bigger share of the market?

Originally Posted By: wag123
Does anyone know just how much of the synthetic motor oil market M1 has? My guess is that it is over 70% (I think I read somewhere that it was something over 80% several years back). 800lb gorilla is an understatement! Who else would anybody attack if they were trying to get a bigger share of the market?

It was over 50% until the last decade. It's probably a little over 40% now. Tom from NJ probably knows. Also, last I heard Sopus was in 4th place amongst synthetic sales.

Originally Posted By: Capa

It was over 50% until the last decade. It's probably a little over 40% now. Tom from NJ probably knows. Also, last I heard Sopus was in 4th place amongst synthetic sales.

Worldwide sales (counting factory fills)? I'll bet that their market share is WAY over 40%. From the early 80s to the mid 90s they probably held closer to 90% of the synthetic market.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Capa

Worldwide sales (counting factory fills)? I'll bet that their market share is WAY over 40%. From the early 80s to the mid 90s they probably held closer to 90% of the synthetic market.

I heard it was a little under 50% a couple of years ago. I don't know if this was US sales, North America sales, or worldwide sales. Again, just pm Tom in NJ because he probably does know.

Originally Posted By: Scion
they sell pp 0w20 in every pepboys i been to in brooklyn.

I live on L.I and haven't been to Brooklyn in over a year lol. It's still odd no one here carries it, and odd that they don't even produce a 0W30 in PP or PU.

I'm very impressed with M1's reformulated SN products, I just put some SN/GF-5 M1 0W-20 in a Freestyle 3.0 and it's easily the the smoothest that engine has ever run on an OTC oil...a drastic improvement over the SM M1 5W-20 previously run, and PP/PU 5W-20 for that matter.

Same here Ben. Engine is very quiet on cold start ups with 0w20 AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back